Surgery Tuesday, 15th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pal, Same to you!

Hugs a kisses, and EVERYTHING crossed for you as well!

Susanna
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

All Done

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers - they worked! AC did really well. They gave her valium when she first got there - she wasn't overly nervous but anxious. This made her VERY sleepy and she was barely awake enough to give us kisses. They kept us updated every hour and a half or so. Sounds like the roughest part was getting the IVs going but she was out for that. She was in for 7 1/2 hours and they ended up getting 30 - 35 degree correction. Not as good as hoped, but I'm not complaining. She woke up and was saying some pretty silly things - talked about her pet, named Slyle - a naked mole rat! (She doesn't have a naked mole rat and never will)! I wrote this stuff down but I kinda wish I'd had a tape recorder. She came out of anesthesia asking over and over "What happened, I remember talking to you in that room, what happened?" We stayed at the hospital until yesterday, mainly because she was anemic. They gave her one pint of her own blood but she had kind of a reaction when they went to give her the other pint. They aren't sure why. She had to be taken off of that and also the morphine. She was in quite a bit of pain for a while until they got her on the correct meds. They got her sitting up on day 2, then walking to a wheelchair and going for a ride the next day, then walking with a walker and then up and down a couple stairs. Her oxygen level kept dropping when they gave the meds and we'd have to wake her enough to get some deep breaths in her. She would sing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" to get the breaths regulated - so she didn't hyperventilate. It was cute! The hardest part was the drive home - getting in and out of the car. Now, we're still helping her get up and down off couch and to bathroom but she's walking pretty good on her own. Meds are keeping her pain at a low level and yes, pillows are a must have. Thank God it's over! There is no inkling of what it's like until you've been through it, but I have to say it was not as difficult as I imagined and I was amazed at how strong my "baby" really was! Best wishes to Susanna and Pal! (Sorry to go on and on)
      Melinda

Comment

Melinda,

I am SO GLAD to hear you and your baby coming through with flying colors. It means so much to me as a mom to hear from you and to know that you are all doing well. PLEASE tell us everything! We are starved for details and remember how helpful it was to read other posts just like yours from moms bringing their babies home after a successful surgery. Please let us know if there's anything at all we can do to help over the next few days and weeks. I'm glad to do research or make phone calls for you. Just let me know.

XOXOXO,

Susanna
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Working...
        X