Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if a surgeon is a good surgeon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by susancook View Post
    You are so sweet! Consider us friends! I also need mutual support! I will send you my email in the PM.
    How is your brother?
    Hugs, Susan
    Staph infections unfortunately happen, but it would be great to check the infection rate of a hospital. I asked Dr. Hu about how to prevent a staph infection, she said to get out of the hospital fast!
    He bravely battled his cancer for 10 years and then it was time to say goodbye. There are only so many treatment options when dealing with the brain. We feel blessed that he had left behind a little 'mini-me' so his son is now 21 and a spitting image of his father. My brother taught me so much over those years that I carry through my trials in life, especially now. Wow, a few tears found there way out. Wasn't expecting that! But he was my big brother and could really do it all. He should not have been diagnosed at 19 with brain cancer and pass away within 10 years. Life isn't fair.

I think that infection from that hospital has a high rate from what I recall in doing my research. But even just knowing one person from within the last 8 months was too much for me.

Thanks Susan, my friend!
    *Jen
    Fusion surgery with Dr. Chang May 7, 2013
    Pre-T:50 L:48
    Post-T:20 L:0
    Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
    {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

Comment

Originally posted by back2life View Post
      He bravely battled his cancer for 10 years and then it was time to say goodbye. There are only so many treatment options when dealing with the brain. We feel blessed that he had left behind a little 'mini-me' so his son is now 21 and a spitting image of his father. My brother taught me so much over those years that I carry through my trials in life, especially now. Wow, a few tears found there way out. Wasn't expecting that! But he was my big brother and could really do it all. He should not have been diagnosed at 19 with brain cancer and pass away within 10 years. Life isn't fair.

I think that infection from that hospital has a high rate from what I recall in doing my research. But even just knowing one person from within the last 8 months was too much for me.

Thanks Susan, my friend!
      So sorry about your brother. You have him as your role model on how to tackle tough situations. That is something that nobody can take away from you. Keep him in your heart. Life is unfair. I think that our friends and relatives that have passed are really with us. Remember his strength and passion and celebrate it with your recovery!

Infection really scares me too!

I will call you, take care Jen! Hugs, Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I remembered reading this thread a while back and it came to mind when I read this NY Times article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...s&emc=rss&_r=0 (hope everyone can read it, I have a subscription but this may be a free article). It's a little scary to read how much skill influences patient outcomes but that there's no reliable way to determine the skill of your surgeon. Hope the profession figures out a way to address this and share the information with the public.

Comment

Thanks Aileens for the article. So how does the consumer check out a surgon's skill? How can a patient find out a surgeon's post-op complication rate, complications rate, re-operation, read mission, and infection rate? When I worked for Kaiser NW most of the staff saw 1 or 2 surgeons as we knew that they were the best. Now I am a consumer in another health care system and I want to know how to evaluate a surgeon!
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
          X