Chair versus bleachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chair versus bleachers

So my kids are in sports at a local sports complex and now that I am doing much better I have been spending up to 3 days a week there. The problem is, the seating is bleachers! When I first started attending, I would bring my my camp chair and it did not bother me as there was NO POSSIBLE WAY I could sit on the bleachers. (Even before surgery my family would lecture me that I should bring a chair to sit in due to my poor back). Problem is, I am now feeling self conscious. The chair has to go to the front of the bleachers to be able to see anything and it's like "Hey, look at me!" I just want to blend in. I have tried a pillow but then my back feels 'exposed' and I hate the feeling that someone is going to bump into me!!!!
    I guess I know what you will all say as I would tell someone in my shoes the same....protect your back, it is not worth it. But anyone else tired of feeling this way? I went to the movie the other day toting a pillow and wondered what people thought. I just gotta quit feeling self conscious I guess. I am thankful to be there watching them. It brings me great joy!

*Jen
    Surgery May 7th, 2013
    *Jen
    Fusion surgery with Dr. Chang May 7, 2013
    Pre-T:50 L:48
    Post-T:20 L:0
    Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
    {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

I bet you didn't have to wear a brace - that would make you self-conscious for sure :-) You already answered your question, back2life, who cares what people think - do the right thing for your back.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
      I bet you didn't have to wear a brace - that would make you self-conscious for sure :-) You already answered your question, back2life, who cares what people think - do the right thing for your back.
      No, I did not have to wear a brace.
      *Jen
      Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
      {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

Comment

Do whatever you have to do to protect your back and be comfortable

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi there,

Bleachers are murder on my back....and I am about 18 months post-op.

Time to suck it up and forget about others judging you...take your camp chair and be proud.
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

My kids are very active in sports as well, in fact we travel over the US with my boys in wrestling and bleachers are a no go! I would rather stand all day than to spen five minutes in the bleachers. Use what ever you need. It is hard enough missing things while recovering that if you find something that works where you can be there, use it and forget about what others think.

Tamena
            Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Chair

Most comfortable in my chair and went with it tonight. I find it funny because I wear my scar with pride. And the best advice is to do what is best for the back. Having something behind me gives me the most security and protection. I think if someone accidentally bumped me in the back I may accidentally have 'reflects' I can not control!!!
              *Jen

Comment

Chair

My husband plays softball, and if I go to a game and forget my chair, I sit at the top of the bleachers where there is a back. I wear a brace, but still need a chair back.

Wearing a brace makes it obvious that I have a disability and I also get tired of explaining myself. Sometimes, I just tell them that I have on a bulletproof vest. I share my X-rays sometimes. Sometimes, I just want to be invisible and private.

I am learning that the postop journey isn't easy and I wish you well.

You will not be in your chair at the games for the rest of your life.

Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I am a few years down the road--but I always protect my spine. I am on gaurd when around a lot of people--you cannot guess their movements and I know tripping hurts --even if you don't get hurt. So I say do what it takes and offer an explaination if you feel like it. This surgery gives meaning to "walking in someone else's shoes". Helps me to understand that not all things show their face. If you need a chair or a pillow while out then use it. It is better then not having a good time where you are or staying home because you can't sit.
                  I myself do very little sitting--anywhere. Still bothers me so much--so I stand or pace. It just has to be that way or I have to stay home and stand or pace there. We on this forum do understand--it is not possible for others that have not had this surgery to understand fully. Or if they do--some days they forget because "WE Look so OK"
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                  To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                  Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                  Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                  Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                  Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                    My husband plays softball, and if I go to a game and forget my chair, I sit at the top of the bleachers where there is a back. I wear a brace, but still need a chair back.

Wearing a brace makes it obvious that I have a disability and I also get tired of explaining myself. Sometimes, I just tell them that I have on a bulletproof vest. I share my X-rays sometimes. Sometimes, I just want to be invisible and private.

I am learning that the postop journey isn't easy and I wish you well.

You will not be in your chair at the games for the rest of your life.

Susan
                    Love the bulletproof vest! That is funny :-) When I just came to the US from Ukraine and worked in Kmart for a while, a lot of people who heard my accent, asked me where I am from. I got so sick and tired of it that I started telling everyone that I am from China. Very tall and light-skinned Chinese woman with a Russian accent :-)
                    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                      Love the bulletproof vest! That is funny :-) When I just came to the US from Ukraine and worked in Kmart for a while, a lot of people who heard my accent, asked me where I am from. I got so sick and tired of it that I started telling everyone that I am from China. Very tall and light-skinned Chinese woman with a Russian accent :-)
                      I knew that you were Chinese! Your beautiful dark hair gave you away!

My brace has holes drilled in it because I think that you told me that you thought that holes might make it cooler. (I don't think that it does.) So, mine is a bullet proof vest that has taken a few shots. Actually the holes are a little bit of bling. I actually like (hahahahahahahaha) my brace as I get doors opened for me and people get up and give me a seat. I call it my personal sauna. I am in central Oregon on vacation and it's 95 degrees!

I don't like people staring at me in my brace.

At the pool today, I saw a woman with tattooed words up her spine. Unfortunately I couldn't read what it said. Now that's an idea...maybe I could make the scar like a vine and have flowers tattooed all along my spine on both sides....cool.

Susan
                      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Tattoo

Originally posted by susancook View Post

At the pool today, I saw a woman with tattooed words up her spine. Unfortunately I couldn't read what it said. Now that's an idea...maybe I could make the scar like a vine and have flowers tattooed all along my spine on both sides....cool.

Susan
                        My husband and I have talked about tattoos. We both have small ones. He had surgery on his abdomen a few years back and is extremely jealous of my straight, beautiful scar. His was emergency surgery and they did not do such a pretty job on his. But we joked about 'zippers' downs our scars. I don't think I could do it. I would like to do something in honor of the trials I have been through. I will be doing one in honor of one of my best friend who has been battling cancer for 5 years. Mine are small and discrete but each have special meaning.
                        Thanks for all the advice on the chair. I was thinking about this last night as I had read about someone who had posted someone on Facebook about getting verbal blasted about parking in a handicap spot but not looking handicap. I think this goes along my lines. I don't look disabled, but still feel disabled at times!!! But here is my 2 cents...what are your thoughts on the whole handicap stickers these days. We have a friend who rides motorcycle and has one even for his motorcycle. Come on!!! I cannot agree to that. There are plenty of times I have wanted to apply for one but 9 times out of 10 there is never a parking spot where we go anyway. My friend with cancer seems to never find a spot. Do you think it's being over used or finally being given to those who need it? I don't know, I feel it is being taken advantage of in way to many situations.
                        *Jen

Comment

in some states it looks like everybody and their brother have handicapped
                          signs for their cars...
                          i got one when i moved to CT, after living in Manhattan and not having
                          a car...(couldn't afford to garage one...it was almost as much as rent!!)

so now that i have to drive instead of taking cabs everywhere (too much
                          pain to stand and wait for bus...gave up taking subways after 9/11)
                          i got a handicapped sign, but because i honestly cannot walk any distance..
                          got one "for life"....unbelievable...maybe the doc knew i wasn't leaning
                          towards surgery...no pun intended...

as for the chair...so many people in America who do NOT have scoli
                          have aching backs...my opinion is they would be sympathetic more than
                          anything else...

jess...and Sparky (who runs everywhere, no handicapped sign needed)

Comment

Handicapped parking

Couple of thoughts. I have a handicapped card and only use it when I feel that I need to park closely as my endurance seems less those days. My dad was 90 and could not walk far, so an up close parking spot was great for him (her had a handicapped card). We also frequently brought his wheelchair with us, so the extra space at the side of handicapped place was great for getting him in the wheelchair. It would irritate me no end when all of the handicapped spots were taken and then some young person would very ably get into the car parked in a handicapped spot. Maybe they were handicapped, but I doubt it.

In Oregon, when someone is parked in a handicapped place without a sticker, you take a picture of their license plate, the car parked in a handicapped place showing the handicapped sign. They are sent a note that they incorrectly parked by someone in the parking department.

You are so correct that many people that are handicapped do not look disabled. I wear a brace and use a walking stick, so I look disabled. Since I am supposed to walk a lot every day, parking away from the entrance forces me to walk more.

Susan

Comment

I just got a tat on my forearm which symbolizes God pulling me through the pain of my preop life. It looks like torn flesh with my nickname Bionica in the center. My family gave me this nickname postop. The artist put a 2.5 inch screw in the "A" representing the size of my largest screws.

Originally posted by back2life View Post
                              My husband and I have talked about tattoos. We both have small ones. He had surgery on his abdomen a few years back and is extremely jealous of my straight, beautiful scar. His was emergency surgery and they did not do such a pretty job on his. But we joked about 'zippers' downs our scars. I don't think I could do it. I would like to do something in honor of the trials I have been through. I will be doing one in honor of one of my best friend who has been battling cancer for 5 years. Mine are small and discrete but each have special meaning.
                              Thanks for all the advice on the chair. I was thinking about this last night as I had read about someone who had posted someone on Facebook about getting verbal blasted about parking in a handicap spot but not looking handicap. I think this goes along my lines. I don't look disabled, but still feel disabled at times!!! But here is my 2 cents...what are your thoughts on the whole handicap stickers these days. We have a friend who rides motorcycle and has one even for his motorcycle. Come on!!! I cannot agree to that. There are plenty of times I have wanted to apply for one but 9 times out of 10 there is never a parking spot where we go anyway. My friend with cancer seems to never find a spot. Do you think it's being over used or finally being given to those who need it? I don't know, I feel it is being taken advantage of in way to many situations.
                              44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                              Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                              2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X