Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is range of motion, quality of life affected if T11-L3 is fused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for saying that, Jess. I associate myself with you remarks. Somatic healing is word salad. It is an imaginary treatment.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Best Wishes

Dear Mary,

Curves usually progress quickest during growth spurts. A 13yro female is usually on the upswing of her growth spurt. Our family tried targeted PT in an effort to stabilize our daughter’s curve, but we would not have done so if her curve had been 60 degrees.* Why not? Because even if the exercises had stopped her curve progression, it would have left a curve so large that it would be likely to progress over her lifetime, requiring surgery as an adult. Kids respond better to surgery than adults—and their insurance coverage is usually better. There are several articles that discuss the natural history of scoliosis, but I am providing a link to Asher’s because in my opinion, he is both a reputable scoliosis surgeon AND author. http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/1/1/2

This isn’t to say that getting into good shape prior to surgery isn’t a good idea; I just wanted to provide some “food for thought” with regard to long term outcomes.

Another reason the size of her curve may impact decision making is that IF she is a candidate for tethering (she may not be b/c of the placement of the curve and/or the size) her curve may increase beyond the current allowances for tethering while you are testing the PT during an x-ray period. Then your options revert to a more standard type of surgery.

I hope this is helpful.

A Mom

*Our daughter was still in the “watch & wait” phase, so we had time to try the PT.

Comment

hey Sharon....nonsense is nonsense...

it is one thing to be evolved enough to calm down a headache...
        whole other ball game dealing with solid BONES...
        i am not knocking people who know how to self lower their blood pressure,
        or are evolved enough to know how to relax and get rid of body tensions...
        but solid bones can not be influenced by the same techniques...
        i do not care how "evolved" someone is..

and to talk about "somatic healing" is to make others feel "less than..."
        i do not have to be a social worker to know what that can make people
        feel like...

nonsense does not belong on the forum, in my opinion...

jess...and Sparky, the wonder dog...he is quite "evolved" too

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

hey Sharon....nonsense is nonsense...

nonsense does not belong on the forum, in my opinion...

jess...and Sparky, the wonder dog...he is quite "evolved" too
          I think nonsense posted on the forum, when criticized, can help others avoid imaginary treatments. But I certainly understand wanting to keep the material as rational as possible.

I am offering to get to the bottom of this by interviewing this friend of Mary's if she agrees. If she doesn't agree then that is basically the same result. I don't think she is lying. I think she is yet another casualty of the poor science education standards that result from years of science being under attack from ignorant forces in society. Without critical thinking skills, "somatic healing" sounds okay when it is patent nonsense on the wing.
          Last edited by Pooka1; 08-05-2013, 03:33 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

the most i will believe is that someone can improve their spine and relax the muscles...with stretching, exercise, etc...
            not by thinking it better!!!
            so maybe it looks less curved from the outside...but without X rays, anyone can claim anything...

there are no BONES in the human body that can be in any way "cured"...
            otherwise...i have a benign tumor in my left femur... i would like to go visit
            a "somatic healer" and ask what they charge....

even Sparky, my evolved Maltese, wouldn't believe this stuff...
            and he believes everything can be cured by eating a Greenie...or two!

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by laakea77 View Post
              She doesn't have any xrays--

She caught her children's curves early and so there are no xrays of their scoliosis, either.
              Having no radiographs is indistinguishable from being imaginary.

I doubt this woman or her children were ever seen by an experienced orthopedic surgeon. I think she only saw chiros or similar folk, none of whom are trained to treat scoliosis. Hence we have the imaginary treatment, "somatic healing."

If she claims a trained surgeon diagnosed her then she should be able to name him.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your ideas and wisdom. I know the reason you are not keen on Somatic Learning is that you care.

For what is worth, we have scheduled the surgery. In the meantime, I see no harm in being open to learning about Somatic Learning.

This practice is not scoliosis-specific, but a general healing method, especially for those in pain. I have started reading the book and it does not appear it will be easy for my child to grasp--but again, my mind is open, and she wants to try. We only have a very small window of time left, however, and we are realistic.

Best to you all!

Comment

Working...
                X