Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weiss has apparently given up on PT... just does bracing(!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS: an echo as I head deeper into my cave...

For those confused about the meaning of "structural curve", read the Maruyama papers cited by Weiss in the above paper, there go out yonder and feel how ADULT 60 degree + curves can "instantly correct" or how juvenile and adolescent 40 - 55 degree curves "instantly correct". Sustaining the correction is the challenge. Also consider that many posters in here fail to indicate relevant details fleshing out the bare Cobb angles measured from x-rays. E.g., how long out of brace was the person before the x-ray. What activities were they doing the day before, or that day: e.g., dancing, horse riding, gymnastics. How tired were they...did their posture collapse...were they tense during the x-ray...so how much of the 5 - 20 degree range of spinal movement were they using as the x-ray machine snapped an instant? For the 30 degree range of kids, were they ever in danger of progression??? How much growth did they have remaining? Did the bracing or PT worsen their rotation (i.e., make it more likely that the curves will progress after the main growth spurt period).

These questions are important, but to dump Chiari/SM related scoliosis from the AIS or JIS is as sensible as dumping the ballerina, horse rider, donut muncher and skateboarder related scoliosis from the search. My daughter's last spine surgeon, a reputable guy, categorically placed her in the JIS category. His published papers are well regarded. He works with cutting edge scientists such as Stokes, Dangerfield, Burwell et al. And he learns from parents too.
    07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
    11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
    05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
    12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
    05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Originally posted by TAMZTOM View Post
      My daughter's last spine surgeon, a reputable guy, categorically placed her in the JIS category.
      Our surgeon categorically places Marfans in the AIS category despite the evidence straight AIS and Marfans scoliosis are known to differ in terms of brace treatment.

I suspect there is one way surgeons talk with parents and another way they talk with other researchers. It almost has to be the case because to not split is to ignore relevant evidence in hand on these issues and that is not happening among those guys.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Our surgeon categorically places Marfans in the AIS category despite the evidence straight AIS and Marfans scoliosis are known to differ in terms of brace treatment.
        I believe we discussed this splitting before, Sharon? It would be helpful to precisely define why THIS PERSON has scoliosis and treat accordingly. It hasn't and looks unlikely to happen this side of the 25C. We're not clever enough. Each person has crucial differences, knowledge of which can improve correction of the curves. Marfans kids, Chiari/SM kids, neuro, congenital, JIS, AIS, IIS all have differences, not necessarily aetiological. All have curved spines. Removing these cases from AIS/JIS can hinder insight into how to fix. Surgery, for example only (not to argue against it), focuses on the curved spine, one wee bit of the multifactorial scoliosis problem. They get in there regardless, doing what they consider is helping a part of the problem.

I suspect there is one way surgeons talk with parents and another way they talk with other researchers.
        My best friend is one...he's a self-confessed arrogant, rude jerk

It almost has to be the case because to not split is to ignore relevant evidence in hand on these issues and that is not happening among those guys.
        To not split indicates that they don't think the difference is relevant. The precise relevance of these differences is unknown, so those guys make decisions based on their limited knowledge.

On the alleged quote from a Weiss email, you are correct that there are many reasons for the statement. Based on what I've read, it seems likely that he's persuading folk to brace an do "Nu-Power Schroth" rather than dumping anything. His family sold the clinic in BS, which is now a competitor. That's explain the email, if it was indeed from Weiss, which I don't know is true.
        07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
        11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
        05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
        12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
        05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

For completeness, I am referencing Ahmed's post with Weiss' response to his query...

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...077#post152077

And here is the relevant text from that post...

==========

Also, I have contacted Dr.Weiss and this is his reply, I didn't know my angle at that time

Hello,

we have a bracing practice, only, so if you want more intensive physiotherapy you may wish to contact the Asklepios clinic in Bad Sobernheim, however you will have to pay in advance and there will be no refund in case you want to leave earlier....

But with a 50° curve you can certainly live like others and intensive PT will not drastically reduce the hump!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards
          Folks are invited to ignore all the comments made by players in this sandbox and come to their own conclusions.
          Last edited by Pooka1; 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
          X