Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    Ahmed

You have to realize that you don’t have a standard kind of scoliosis.....its up high, and that makes it tricky. I didn’t want to mention me waiting 34 years and have you thinking that you could get away doing the same thing.....We are all different and surgical timing varies in each case. We can talk about this later....curves, age, and timing. Surgery is “usually” a last ditch effort, in your case, I think this is a correct statement.

There is a high probability that your decision to have surgery will depend on your pain levels....Your Lumbar looks great, but as you go up the spine, your discs seem to get smaller as you go higher, and you can see that you are bone on bone or close to it in your upper thoracic and cervical area, a degenerative process that we sometimes have to deal with living with scoliosis. Your T1 is also inclined around 20 degrees which is the base for the neck......In the future, I can dig up examples of surgeries and their results in this special situation.

You will become an expert at pain. We all become experts as we experience our aches and pains, but what happens as you get older is that you will experience alarming pain “events”. These events can happen with a higher frequency, and has a tendency to tip the scales of decision. These pain events are signals that something is seriously wrong. Muscles can spasm, if you have not had this happen, chances are you will at some point, most likely in the neck. These spasm events are extremely painful, and I have found hot water immersion an easy way to deal with it. Having a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) around would be a good idea right now, ask your surgeon and see what he recommends. I am currently using Diclofenac for my neck as I have 2 herniated cervical discs. This medication works well. It lowers inflammation and reduces pain. NSAID’s don’t affect the mind like OPOID’s do....We can talk about this later.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonster...lammatory_drug

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diclofenac

I have ALWAYS had an NSAID of some sort through the years available to me. These meds can be life savers.....I also wouldn’t travel without them.

As far as having surgery goes, we plan on it, and prepare for it. We spend many years thinking about it, reading many books and posting on scoliosis forums. Getting all your ducks in a row is a good idea, you have plenty of time to think about it. There are many questions.......

Difficult spine surgeries can take 6-12 hours.....and don’t guarantee any pain relief. Complications can happen which can also make things difficult. Recovery time is dependent on age, health, and procedure....It took me 2 full years at age 49 to recover. Surgeons can fuse you “as-is” with no correction. Playing contact sports after a multi-level cervical fusion is probably not a good idea.

I was diagnosed in 1975 and was a Luque wire candidate.....They used wires on bad cases during that period, and fused to the Pelvis also with this method. 1975 was a while ago, and surgery back in those days was a whole different story, we have come a long way since then. I lived my life knowing that someday I would have surgery. Every single doctor told me this. It was something that I had in the back of my mind, eventual planning for the big day......For now, you can think and plan......and maintain your pain....

I think it would be a good plan to discuss your future physical therapy treatment here before committing to anything right now. I would not buy plane tickets or commit to any programs right now.....this is just my gut feeling.....you’re a newbie, and people will gladly take money up front.

Let us know when you get done with the book.
    Ed
    Hi Ed,

That's what the surgeon told me, I don't have the regular type that people have, my scoliosis it to the left and so high, he actually told me I am the first one he has seen with this height of curvature. I didn't mean I'll wait for 34 for years to have my decision but I got relieved knowing that I don't have to be hesitant at my decision.

Again that's what the surgeon said to me "I'm starting to doubt that you're a surgeon in disguise; firstly you estimated my angle correctly and then everything you said matched what the surgeon told me"; he told me that pain will be the highest factor in my decision. I asked him if it is possible if I wanted to remove the instrumentation later, he told me it's possible but I would risk having the deformity to start again, apart from a new very painful healing process until bone material fills the screws holes again.

As for the meds he prescribed Diclofenac and Pregabalin to me, I got them and will keep them for emergencies. Although he said that if I am handling the current pains on my own I won't need them probably, encouraged me to continue what I am doing to relief the pain.

That's why I have signed up here, looking for support and I am really thankful to who ever started this site, and to you all for your time and helpful replies.

What was your angle when you were diagnosed for the first time? I have read in your profile that you had double major curves at 70 degrees, do you have any x-ray for that?

I haven't made my mind yet about the PT so no committing yet, just a plan for the center suggested by the surgeon but will search about them more before making any decision. I don't know if it's prohibited here to share other sites or not, but here is their site http://www.scoliosissos.com/

Surely will do!

Originally posted by susancook View Post
    Ahmed, there may be some alternatives like injections or denervations that might help. I found that cold packs helped a lot. I second the use of NSAIDS like Ibuprofen. It is sold in a drug store.

Best of luck to you! Susan
    Hi Susan, you are at the age of my mother so if you will allow me to call you mom too!!

I use cold and hot packs on daily basis and it helps a lot. I don't like taking meds so I try to avoid them as possible but I got the prescription from the surgeon.

Thanks for your support!

Comment

Ahmed,
      Meeting you here is really exciting for me. The reason is because of all my years I have NEVER met another "leftie" with curvature into the neck. I have been told the same thing as you by all of my doctors. None have ever seen a curve pattern like mine. While our curves are different, yours encompassing many vertebrae and mine very high and tight, they are similar enough to be able to relate the kind of pain that goes on in the neck.

Ed is right about pain events. I've had pain since I was a little kid. I had my first pain event when I was 16. It's severe, sudden and shocking. My pain management plan unfortunately includes narcotics and muscle relaxants. I also receive Botox in the shoulder and neck regions because my muscles are rock hard there. I get trigger point injections to break up muscle spasms in other areas of my back. I haven't had a pain episode for about three years now. The last couple of episodes were doozies. They sent me straight to the ER. There's no avoiding it when the pain is that severe. So the advice my doctor gave me was to stay ahead of the pain. It has usually worked, although I was on high doses of narcotics when I had my last and worst pain episode.

The point of telling you this is that maybe, just maybe you can avoid some of this. I have lumbar pain due to DDD and something going on in my left SI joint. I've had to crawl at times because it hurt so bad that I couldn't stand. Even this is nothing compared to a pain event. When this happens in the cervical and upper thoracic region, you feel as if you cannot breathe. It's like stabs of a knife with every little breath. I would suggest talking to your doctor about trigger point therapy and/or Botox therapy. Just a warning about Botox in the neck; I've found that I can't lift my head up or look around if I'm on my hands and knees for any reason (cleaning, gardening, etc.). That is the worst drawback. I don't know if you get headaches from the constant neck strain, but I do. The Botox has all but eliminated them. So it has been a real life saver for me.

I hope you figure things out. If you find a therapy that works or end up having surgery, I will want to know every detail!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

are you aware of how Diclofenac works...?
        it is an NSAID...it is not taken for pain the way aspirin or hydrocodone
        is taken...it is more of a long term medication, as i believe NSAIDS are
        meant to be...it is not something you would take for immediate pain and
        have it work like a regular pain medication would...i do not think it would
        help in an "emergency"
        i am taking Diclofenac as well....most NSAIDS did not do much for me
        in past, so i was surprised it is helping me...
        it does make me nervous...i had a huge allergic reaction to another
        NSAID....Vioxx...before it was taken off the market...
        i also cannot take Celebrex....
        so i have my fingers crossed i will not react allergically to Diclofenac...

also...why did they say you will still have a very high level of pain AFTER
        surgery....???? did they say why they think surgery would not eventually
        give you major pain relief where your curve currently is...????

if you fly to the UK...do you think it would make sense to get
        another opinion on surgery while there....not if you need the surgery...
        but exactly how they would do it, when they recommend you go ahead
        with it, etc...????

best of luck
        jess
        Last edited by jrnyc; 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Jess,
          Why Diclofenac and not an OTC medication? Have your reacted to Naproxen Sodium or is Diclofenac more effective? If it works better, I'll be asking my doctor about it.

Thanks.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            Ahmed,
            Meeting you here is really exciting for me. The reason is because of all my years I have NEVER met another "leftie" with curvature into the neck. I have been told the same thing as you by all of my doctors. None have ever seen a curve pattern like mine. While our curves are different, yours encompassing many vertebrae and mine very high and tight, they are similar enough to be able to relate the kind of pain that goes on in the neck.

Ed is right about pain events. I've had pain since I was a little kid. I had my first pain event when I was 16. It's severe, sudden and shocking. My pain management plan unfortunately includes narcotics and muscle relaxants. I also receive Botox in the shoulder and neck regions because my muscles are rock hard there. I get trigger point injections to break up muscle spasms in other areas of my back. I haven't had a pain episode for about three years now. The last couple of episodes were doozies. They sent me straight to the ER. There's no avoiding it when the pain is that severe. So the advice my doctor gave me was to stay ahead of the pain. It has usually worked, although I was on high doses of narcotics when I had my last and worst pain episode.

The point of telling you this is that maybe, just maybe you can avoid some of this. I have lumbar pain due to DDD and something going on in my left SI joint. I've had to crawl at times because it hurt so bad that I couldn't stand. Even this is nothing compared to a pain event. When this happens in the cervical and upper thoracic region, you feel as if you cannot breathe. It's like stabs of a knife with every little breath. I would suggest talking to your doctor about trigger point therapy and/or Botox therapy. Just a warning about Botox in the neck; I've found that I can't lift my head up or look around if I'm on my hands and knees for any reason (cleaning, gardening, etc.). That is the worst drawback. I don't know if you get headaches from the constant neck strain, but I do. The Botox has all but eliminated them. So it has been a real life saver for me.

I hope you figure things out. If you find a therapy that works or end up having surgery, I will want to know every detail!
            Same feelings here Rohrer.

The pains I suffer are more of chronic episodes rather than a sudden sever shock, I had 2 pain episodes in which felt like an electrical shock going from my neck down the left side of my body and ended at my left leg but neither of them lasted more than a minute; had several NCS's and EMGs, no problems at all thankfully.

Have you tried taking a hot shower on daily basis in the morning and sleeping with a hot or at least warm pack under your neck? You wouldn't know how great it is until you try it.

Absolutely I will post everything I try and whether it has worked for me or not, now I am reading the other thread here regarding the torso rotations training, the folks there say it works best for people with the thoracic scoliosis, might try it If I found a gym near me having similar devices.

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            are you aware of how Diclofenac works...?
            it is an NSAID...it is not taken for pain the way aspirin or hydrocodone
            is taken...it is more of a long term medication, as i believe NSAIDS are
            meant to be...it is not something you would take for immediate pain and
            have it work like a regular pain medication would...i do not think it would
            help in an "emergency"
            i am taking Diclofenac as well....most NSAIDS did not do much for me
            in past, so i was surprised it is helping me...
            it does make me nervous...i had a huge allergic reaction to another
            NSAID....Vioxx...before it was taken off the market...
            i also cannot take Celebrex....
            so i have my fingers crossed i will not react allergically to Diclofenac...

also...why did they say you will still have a very high level of pain AFTER
            surgery....???? did they say why they think surgery would not eventually
            give you major pain relief where your curve currently is...????

if you fly to the UK...do you think it would make sense to get
            another opinion on surgery while there....not if you need the surgery...
            but exactly how they would do it, when they recommend you go ahead
            with it, etc...????

best of luck
            jess
            Hi Jess,

Please pardon my bad english as it's not my first language; I didn't mean to take it the same way I take an aspirin or ibuprofen pill. Living with the pain for several years I got to know when it will get worse, so I would start taking it prior to that.

The pain after the surgery will be caused by several factors, firstly any fusion to the cervical spine will be painful and will have a high impact on the range of motion of the neck. The other factor is that I have a small body build and I am very thin, 168 cm "5.5 ft" tall and weighing 58 kg "128 lbs" only.

I haven't thought about getting another opinions if I went to the UK. Thanks for the great idea!
            Last edited by handy; 06-28-2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I've been taking Diclofenac (or Voltaren), for several years for my arthritis -- well, ever since they withdrew Vioxx and I tried a few other arthritis medicines that didn't work for me. But yes, it is a medicine that you take daily-- not an "as needed" type of medicine. Ed recently started taking it also. It is one of the older NSAIDs for things like arthritis, and works for some and not for others. All of us need to remember that you need to limit your daily intake of NSAIDs-- I can't remember the amount you're not to exceed, but too much is bad for your liver.

I hope you get some relief, handy. And I started writing this before I saw your most recent post...
              Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-28-2013, 05:30 PM.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Ahmed,
                Actually hot baths help me the most since I have back pain from my head to my tailbone at times. It's the heat and the buoyancy that help. The problem is, I don't want to get out. But when the water starts to turn cold I have to bring myself to get out. I also have a heated mattress pad for my bad days, but it's summer here and humid so I don't want too much heat right now. I also have a rice pack that I heat up and put under my neck, which feels wonderful. The problem is that I can't have it all the time. I actually wear a neck brace during the day when my neck is really bad. It's a soft brace that they gave me at the ER one time. You can by them at the drug stores here in the USA. I don't know if you need a prescription for them or not.

By the way, your English is perfect. I only noticed you weren't from here because of the measuring system you used. =)
                Metric makes WAY more sense. I don't know why they don't just switch everything over. They use it standard in healthcare, chemistry, biology, and every other science known to man. It's just confusing to have to switch gears when you live in a country that technically uses both systems.
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

rohr...
                  i am getting relief from Diclofenac when other NSAIDS did nothing
                  for me...the Vioxx i had a violent reaction to...it cut off my breathing...
                  i do not know what other medication you are referring to...
                  i broke out in hives from Celebrex...
                  so i cross my fingers that Diclofenac will not cause a reaction...
                  i never bother with OTC anything...
                  i have hydrocodone and oxycontin for pain...
                  if lesser meds worked, i wouldn't need them...
                  gave up on OTC long ago...

jess

Comment

Oh no Ahmed, I’m not a surgeon. Its just been a long time since I was diagnosed (39 years) and always wondered all along what was going to happen.....This is probably our #1 concern. All my questions needed to be answered, and through the years have read many books, looked at many x-rays, and of course have been reading and posting here. Many established seasoned scolis and scoli parents read and post here....there are many people here that know quite a bit, and can act as a collective support group. You did the right thing registering and of course posting here. Its something that all of us older scoliosis patients missed before the days of the internet. I call those days the dark ages of scoliosis.

I have many threads and posts.....and I do have a 1993 x-ray which shows a an approximate 65 degree double curve. I have my double 70 x-ray that my surgeon marked up but never took a picture of it. I was diagnosed at age 15 with twin 50 degree curves that have always been balanced. My plumb line has always been pretty good without too much leaning. I had 20 degrees of progression over 34 years on both curves. The degeneration in my lumbar at age 49 was massive.....I had DDD, and severe vertebral damage, and had to have a procedure called “partial corpectomy” where they grind out your end plates from the front (anterior) In fusion, you want bone to bleed, if it doesn’t, then fusion can be compromised. If you don’t fuse, your rods will break just like a paperclip bending back and forth. It’s the fusion mass that supports me now, not my hardware. Its all Titanium.....Ti-6Al-7Nb is the alloy. Synthes Pangea system.

The link you provided in London is a place than can provide help with your scoliosis. There are many different things we can do and learn as scolis to help with the whole package.....it is a whole package, this thing we have, so it can help in many ways..... One thing that I feel strongly about is knowing about your spine and monitoring through x-rays. X-rays really are the only way to tell what your curves are, and many of these kinds of places that use pictures are misleading because you cant tell what’s happening with your spine with a picture of your back......I can post a picture of my head, but you cannot see I have a tumor....??? I hope this makes sense.

I think that we scolis that have been around the block have paid a price......paid a price for some kind of help, regardless of if our curves improved or not. I don’t think of it as a waste of money since it was a learning curve. Many feel that they have wasted money trying to maintain, and ended up having surgery anyway. In your case, I think that you should wait a while on your surgery, and if you have the money, can go ahead and proceed to London and learn a few things as long as you don’t expect any reduction on your curves, this would probably be fine. I don’t want to see this turn into another “quackery” type of thread, but comments from other members are always welcome. There are many threads on this subject matter here. You can send your x-rays up there, I would love to hear what they say.

On another note, I’m a scuba diver and started diving in 1995 for my scoliosis.....I thought it was a great idea, and made more diving sense than scoliosis sense...... (smiley face) You know that you have some of the best diving in the Red Sea. It rates VERY high for dive destinations......Underwater, its incredible.

Ed
                    Attached Files
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I was on Voltaren for several years before my surgery 11 months ago and it did help my arthritis but it caused me to develop 5 gastric ulcers! I had no symptoms but my doctor found them after doing an EGD. I had been on Voltaren for about 4 years and was surprised to find out that I had ulcers. I am now on Celebrex and it does not help me nearly as much. I also on Hydroxychloroquine as I also have Psoriatic arthritis and can't take the newer biologic drugs as I have tested positive for TB.
                      Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                        I've been taking Diclofenac (or Voltaren), for several years for my arthritis -- well, ever since they withdrew Vioxx and I tried a few other arthritis medicines that didn't work for me. But yes, it is a medicine that you take daily-- not an "as needed" type of medicine. Ed recently started taking it also. It is one of the older NSAIDs for things like arthritis, and works for some and not for others. All of us need to remember that you need to limit your daily intake of NSAIDs-- I can't remember the amount you're not to exceed, but too much is bad for your liver.

I hope you get some relief, handy. And I started writing this before I saw your most recent post...
                        Hi Susie,

Thanks for your comment and sorry I didn't explain that in the first post which resulted in confusion for you and Jess

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                        Ahmed,
                        Actually hot baths help me the most since I have back pain from my head to my tailbone at times. It's the heat and the buoyancy that help. The problem is, I don't want to get out. But when the water starts to turn cold I have to bring myself to get out. I also have a heated mattress pad for my bad days, but it's summer here and humid so I don't want too much heat right now. I also have a rice pack that I heat up and put under my neck, which feels wonderful. The problem is that I can't have it all the time. I actually wear a neck brace during the day when my neck is really bad. It's a soft brace that they gave me at the ER one time. You can by them at the drug stores here in the USA. I don't know if you need a prescription for them or not.

By the way, your English is perfect. I only noticed you weren't from here because of the measuring system you used. =)
                        Metric makes WAY more sense. I don't know why they don't just switch everything over. They use it standard in healthcare, chemistry, biology, and every other science known to man. It's just confusing to have to switch gears when you live in a country that technically uses both systems.
                        Oh tell me about not wanting to get out of a hot bath. I haven't tried a heated mattress before, do you recommend it? Also about the rice pack, is it better than gel packs?

I have the neck brace and I don't think it requires a prescription, bought it from a pharmacy about a year ago.

Thanks for that. I think it would be a bit hard for the society to switch to the metric system after using the imperial for a long period of time. I have American friends living in Saudi Arabia for more than 15 years and they share your wish to switch to the metric system, it's much easier than the imperial.

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        Oh no Ahmed, I’m not a surgeon. Its just been a long time since I was diagnosed (39 years) and always wondered all along what was going to happen.....This is probably our #1 concern. All my questions needed to be answered, and through the years have read many books, looked at many x-rays, and of course have been reading and posting here. Many established seasoned scolis and scoli parents read and post here....there are many people here that know quite a bit, and can act as a collective support group. You did the right thing registering and of course posting here. Its something that all of us older scoliosis patients missed before the days of the internet. I call those days the dark ages of scoliosis.

I have many threads and posts.....and I do have a 1993 x-ray which shows a an approximate 65 degree double curve. I have my double 70 x-ray that my surgeon marked up but never took a picture of it. I was diagnosed at age 15 with twin 50 degree curves that have always been balanced. My plumb line has always been pretty good without too much leaning. I had 20 degrees of progression over 34 years on both curves. The degeneration in my lumbar at age 49 was massive.....I had DDD, and severe vertebral damage, and had to have a procedure called “partial corpectomy” where they grind out your end plates from the front (anterior) In fusion, you want bone to bleed, if it doesn’t, then fusion can be compromised. If you don’t fuse, your rods will break just like a paperclip bending back and forth. It’s the fusion mass that supports me now, not my hardware. Its all Titanium.....Ti-6Al-7Nb is the alloy. Synthes Pangea system.

The link you provided in London is a place than can provide help with your scoliosis. There are many different things we can do and learn as scolis to help with the whole package.....it is a whole package, this thing we have, so it can help in many ways..... One thing that I feel strongly about is knowing about your spine and monitoring through x-rays. X-rays really are the only way to tell what your curves are, and many of these kinds of places that use pictures are misleading because you cant tell what’s happening with your spine with a picture of your back......I can post a picture of my head, but you cannot see I have a tumor....??? I hope this makes sense.

I think that we scolis that have been around the block have paid a price......paid a price for some kind of help, regardless of if our curves improved or not. I don’t think of it as a waste of money since it was a learning curve. Many feel that they have wasted money trying to maintain, and ended up having surgery anyway. In your case, I think that you should wait a while on your surgery, and if you have the money, can go ahead and proceed to London and learn a few things as long as you don’t expect any reduction on your curves, this would probably be fine. I don’t want to see this turn into another “quackery” type of thread, but comments from other members are always welcome. There are many threads on this subject matter here. You can send your x-rays up there, I would love to hear what they say.

On another note, I’m a scuba diver and started diving in 1995 for my scoliosis.....I thought it was a great idea, and made more diving sense than scoliosis sense...... (smiley face) You know that you have some of the best diving in the Red Sea. It rates VERY high for dive destinations......Underwater, its incredible.

Ed
                        I know you are not a surgeon Ed, just to compliment your vast knowledge. and you are right thankfully we got the internet now so everything is at the tips of our fingers, and we are lucky to have experienced people like you who don't hesitate to help or answer our questions.

That x-ray looks painful. How does the hardware feel under your skin? What would happen if you fall or trip? Will it break or bend?

I have sent them my x-rays and will post their response below.

Do you still go for scuba diving after the surgery? I would love to try it but God I'm terrified of the sea, don't know why but every time I see a documentary about the seas or oceans I get a shiver of joy and fear at the same time.

The Red Sea is like a heaven for scuba divers and they come from all over the world to dive there. This is an example of what you might encounter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2oc6HQ3rHQ

Originally posted by jane d View Post
                        I was on Voltaren for several years before my surgery 11 months ago and it did help my arthritis but it caused me to develop 5 gastric ulcers! I had no symptoms but my doctor found them after doing an EGD. I had been on Voltaren for about 4 years and was surprised to find out that I had ulcers. I am now on Celebrex and it does not help me nearly as much. I also on Hydroxychloroquine as I also have Psoriatic arthritis and can't take the newer biologic drugs as I have tested positive for TB.
                        Jane
                        Hi Jane,

My mother have rheumatoid arthritis and she takes a whole lot of meds for it "Aciloc, Alendro, Celebrex, Arava, One Alpha, Osteocare and Plaquenil", she found that massaging with hot oils helps a lot for the pain management.

Comment

Scoliosis SOS Clinic

Here is the reply I got from the clinic recommended by the surgeon for PT, they have also included some files which I will attach, I have colored all their replies in Green

Dear Ahmed,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have attached some information for you to have a look at.

The treatment course we offer is a 4 week intensive exercise programme which is aimed at strengthening the muscles surrounding the spine bringing you in to a more central upright position, decreasing the possibility of progression, reducing pain, improving lung capacity and improving cosmetic appearance.

The course is highly beneficial for patients suffering from scoliosis and you would benefit from enrolling. The course places are limited and we are fully booked now until Mid-August so if you could let me know when you would like to come on a course I will be able to tell you what availability we have a get you booked onto a place.

The total cost of the course is £3900 and the next course starts on Monday 12th August – Friday 6th September. To book this course we require a £500 deposit and ask that you pay this via credit or debit card over the telephone.

This price does not include accommodation, however we do have a list of accommodation in the local area that we can send you.

You can personally expect a dramatic reduction in your pain as we will be able to re-balance your muscles and get them working together again rather than against each other and noticeable improvements in your rotation and cosmetic appearance.

Please get back to me as soon as possible as as I mentioned the places are limited and the earlier we start teaching you these exercises the better result you will be able to achieve.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Kylie

So I decided to send them my x-rays with 2 questions;

Hi Kylie,

Thanks for your quick reply and for the attached files.

I have attached my x-rays for the free consultation as I live in Saudi Arabia; I have the following questions:

1- What is the Cobb angle for my curve?
                          2- Will the curvature be reduced after this treatment, if yes, What will be the estimate of angle after the course?

Thanks,
                          Ahmed
                          Their reply;

Dear Ahmed,

It is impossible to say how much any cobb angle will reduce by as it very much depends on the individual patient and how they will respond to the exercises, it also depends on flexibility and compliance. However patients have been able to reduce the size of their cobb angle by up to 20 degrees with this exercise programme.

I will get your cobb angle measured and send this over to you.

With regards to the treatment courses, when are you looking to attend as I would suggest we get your place booked in so that we can ensure you are able to come sooner rather than later.

Kind Regards,

And their measurement of my curve came in a separate email

Dear Ahmed,

The upper thoracic curve has just been measured at 60 degrees. We treat patients with curves up to 90 degrees so we would be able to get some excellent results but we do recommend that you start the programme in October if possible as delaying the treatment could seriously impact on the end result.

Kind Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by handy View Post

Oh tell me about not wanting to get out of a hot bath. I haven't tried a heated mattress before, do you recommend it? Also about the rice pack, is it better than gel packs?

I have the neck brace and I don't think it requires a prescription, bought it from a pharmacy about a year ago.

Thanks for that. I think it would be a bit hard for the society to switch to the metric system after using the imperial for a long period of time. I have American friends living in Saudi Arabia for more than 15 years and they share your wish to switch to the metric system, it's much easier than the imperial.
                            Ahmed,
                            Yes, the heated mattress pad works well. It's like an electric blanket only it goes on like a mattress cover. DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC BLANKET in it's place. You WILL get burned if you do this. These are designed to be slept on and don't get as hot. I usually turn mine up before I get into bed and turn it on low once in bed. I have memory foam, too, which absorbs the heat and retains it. I cover that with an egg crate foam as well. I usually end up turning the heat off altogether after awhile. I need a very soft bed as I am thin and small framed, too. My special bed is also adjustable, so I can raise the head and feet which takes pressure off of the neck area. My husband and I have a new very soft, flat, pillow top memory foam bed that I usually sleep on. I sleep in the other bed on really bad days/nights.

The rice pack works better than the gel pack because despite its dry texture, rice retains some moisture. So when you heat it up in the microwave for about a minute or so, you will get a warm, moist heat rather than just heat. The rice seems to reabsorb moisture from the air (or maybe our bodies?). I've had mine for several years. They are easy to make, even if you don't sew. If you want to make an easy rice pack, just put some white rice in a sock and tie it shut. It's a wonderful heat source and will stay warm, at least for me, for as long as I want in on my neck. I'd imagine that you could also put it into the freezer and use it as a cold pack as well. I'm guessing that the area you live in is more like the Arizona desert in the USA (I lived there for many, many years). I don't know how much moisture available in the air will reabsorb into your rice. You have two options. Dump it out and make a new one when it doesn't give moist heat, or place the rice over some source of steam for a little bit. Both are easy options. I've never had to do either one, but live in a humid climate. The rice pack has stayed clean and hasn't picked up any foul odors over the several years that I've had it. You can put it directly on your clean neck. Don't be fooled about it's temperature. If it's warm to the touch, it's warm enough. You can get them too hot and it can burn you. My daughter actually burned the rice in hers and had to throw it out. The moist heat is penetrating. I can't say enough about it. Well I can, because I did! =)

As far as the metric vs. standard (imperial) measurements; It's just harder on individuals in certain professions to switch thinking back and forth. I'm into the sciences and my husband is a mechanic and we both run into that problem. But I guess it's like learning two languages. You get used to it. It would be easier if the world spoke one language, too. But we don't, so we have to accommodate.
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

So nice to find a friend from far away

Ahmed,
                              Ed is a great source of info. He also words everything so well. I had never planned on surgery--was told when I first discovered scoliosis--nothing need be done-that I would just have more backaches than average person. And just how many is that, I do not know.

Well ,I did have surgery{3 to be exact}but many years later. Actually 33--almost like Ed.
                              I say do everything you can,but keep under a watchful eye and use the time to stay healthy and strong. If it comes to surgery you will need both of those to come through this surgery as it is not a WALK IN THE PARK!
                              Nice to meet you,
                              Jackie
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                              Osteotomy

Comment

Ahmed,
                                I just read your correspondence with the PT place in the UK. It sounds to me like they are pushing quite hard to get you enrolled. This kind of sales pitch makes a person feel rushed. I do not believe them that the timing of this is as crucial as they make it sound. I'd bet they would say the same thing to me and I'm 44 years old! You are still young, if I remember correctly, in your 20's?

Of course it's up to you what you do. That's a LOT of money, especially without accommodations. So it depends upon you whether or not you want to try it. There is a person on here that has helped his daughter's scoliosis dramatically with exercise. However, this girl was diagnosed VERY young and is still growing. You are done growing. As a mature adult, I would go into this with caution, not expecting ANY curve reduction. If you end up getting curve reduction, that would be great. A good PT regiment does help some people with pain. It did for me until my curve reached over 40*. But my curve, unlike yours, is pretty much unreachable because of its location. Your apex is much lower and more of your vertebrae are involved. So I can't give an opinion as to whether or not this will help you. They did measure your curve accurately and consistent with what your doctor measured it at. I just don't like the pressure tactics in the correspondence. It sounds too much like a sales pitch. Is there any way that you can do some research on this facility and talk to some former clients?

Let us know what you decide. Best wishes either way you choose.
                                Be happy!
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X