Possible Surgical Complications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Surgical Complications

One member has requested a list of complications from scoliosis surgery. The following list is everything I've heard of.

Short-Term:
    Infection
    Pulmonary embolus
    Epidural hematoma
    Extreme blood loss
    ileus
    Trochanteric bursitis
    Neurologic damage - minor
    Neurologic damage - major
    Death
    Lymphedema
    Leg swelling
    DVT
    Heart issues
    Pneumonia
    Blindness
    UTI
    Dural tear

Long-Term:
    Significant neurologic damage
    Minor neurologic damage
    Infection requiring rehospitalization
    Painful or prominent implants
    Coronal or sagittal imbalance
    Lymphedema
    Blindness
    Incisional hernia
    Increased pain
    Pseudarthrosis/failure to fuse, broken implants
    Numbness
    Pancreatitis
    Gall bladder disease
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Linda there one rare one Superior mesenteric artery (SMA) syndrome
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Surgical Complications

I had mild pulmonary atelectasis postop.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Other than all that.....a piece of cake. ;^)
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Linda---do you have any information on fractures above the fusion,or juncional kyphosis, As this is what happen to me--I need the info for someone else. Also any info on a time line--such as is there a number of years later that a problem can come up.Thanks
          Last edited by jackieg412; 06-24-2013, 07:50 AM.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

I was given this list at my surgeon's appt. and it very nearly did my head in. I set the date for surgery that day , but couldn't go ahead with it. I became depressed thinking about my miserable options. But after a while, I realised that each of these items on the list are rare and *most* are fixable. And life wasn't going so well for me as my scoliosis was progressing rapidly and my future looked increasingly grim. So I got as fit and healthy as I could to minimise my risks, and with that fitness came a new confidence. When I set my second surgery date, I had a completely different mindset.

It's a shock to see that list, but I think along with those risks should come a list of percentages of patients these risks actually happen to. All surgeries carry risks, unfortunately.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jackie

I sent you a few PJK links.....and as much as the PM system will allow....

I have to add to the long term list.....

Adhesions....(scar tissue) internal adhesions to be specific.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Jackie...

As you'll find, I assume, by looking at the links that Ed provided, that PJK is very common in adult patients, and probably increases with age. Fractures within or above the fusion are also common in patients with poor bone quality. A lot of surgeons have started cementing vertebrae at the top and bottom of the fusion for at risk patients.

As far as a time line, we think that PJK occurs early (between surgery and 6 weeks postop). I don't know the timeline for fractures. Everything else will present in the early postop period, with the exception of late onset infections, which while rare, can occur years after surgery.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Jackie...

As you'll find, I assume, by looking at the links that Ed provided, that PJK is very common in adult patients, and probably increases with age. Fractures within or above the fusion are also common in patients with poor bone quality. A lot of surgeons have started cementing vertebrae at the top and bottom of the fusion for at risk patients.

As far as a time line, we think that PJK occurs early (between surgery and 6 weeks postop). I don't know the timeline for fractures. Everything else will present in the early postop period, with the exception of late onset infections, which while rare, can occur years after surgery.

--Linda
                  What is PJK?
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...yphosis-(etc-)
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                      Other than all that.....a piece of cake. ;^)
                      Chris, you are so funny! If some of the side effects don't kill you, the recovery just might!

I also laughed since your comment came after my post about the pulmonary atelectasis. The pulmonary atelectasis wasn't as scary as the response team that came to my rescue. Postoperatively, I suddenly had chest pain and shortness of breath. I waited a few minutes trying to do some slow deep breathing, but the SOB continued as did the chest pain. I knew that pulmonary embolus was a post operative possibility, so I pressed the call button. The med assistant finally answered my call, and leisurely strolled into the room, then quickly pressed some call button to summon a rapid response team that supposedly assembles within 5 minutes. In short order, there were 2 MDs, a couple of RNs and I had an O2 mask on, an IV in, and they ordered an EKG and a chest X-ray which were done very quickly. Apparently, the team is timed for the response within 5 minutes and they all were proud, after the tests were done, that they had accomplished their goal. The whole thing to me was funny as it took the MA 10 minutes to answer my call bell! The X-ray just showed some mild atelectasis, so I ended up blowing a pressure controlled machine to expand that section of lung.

Susan
                      Last edited by susancook; 07-12-2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

In August 2010, I performed a posterior thoracic laminectomy decompression and extension fusion with osteotomies to correct his kyphosis. This problem is called “PJK” -- proximal junctional kyphosis — and is a complication that can happen after spinal fusions, especially longer fusions. The reason for this problem is that there are higher loads at this junction point wear old fusion ends and unfused spine begins.
                        http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2011/...cuba-trip.html
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yikes! What a scary list!

I asked Dr. Lenke about some of the most major complications (and I didn't even include "death") and his comment was "less that one per cent".
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                            Yikes! What a scary list!

I asked Dr. Lenke about some of the most major complications (and I didn't even include "death") and his comment was "less that one per cent".
                            That is just what Dr Bederman said ; less than one per cent
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                              I was given this list at my surgeon's appt. and it very nearly did my head in. I set the date for surgery that day , but couldn't go ahead with it. I became depressed thinking about my miserable options. But after a while, I realised that each of these items on the list are rare and *most* are fixable. And life wasn't going so well for me as my scoliosis was progressing rapidly and my future looked increasingly grim. So I got as fit and healthy as I could to minimise my risks, and with that fitness came a new confidence. When I set my second surgery date, I had a completely different mindset.

It's a shock to see that list, but I think along with those risks should come a list of percentages of patients these risks actually happen to. All surgeries carry risks, unfortunately.
                              For newbie’s that are reading this “eye opening” thread.......... Jen explains things best with her post, I just had to comment on it.

Surgeons are required to notify you of certain complications, and they don’t want to scare you, but its something that we need to to know about. I remember my “discussions” with my surgeon, and it was an eye opener I must say. Its impossible to list all orthopedic complications, or when they “might” or “could” happen.....I walked out of that meeting a complete zombie. I mean, what the heck? Why am I doing this? and also why did I wait so long? Double trouble. Man-o-man.

I think that the bottom line when I went back into the office for discussions was hearing him say “It will help”. Those words sealed the deal. Nobody ever wants any of this stuff to happen, but the body is just TOO complicated.....things can happen, and they happen with the best of surgeons. Surgery is usually a last ditch effort, and this thread will help many understand this statement, or at least take their time in making a decision. Scoliosis surgery is serious surgery, its something that you just don’t rush into....but you also don’t want to wait till the door slams shut. It’s a tricky decision.

I was told to get online and join a scoliosis forum. Great advice I must say, I didn’t post before my surgeries but was reading here.

Deep down, I knew that it wasn’t going to be an easy thing.....I also knew that my “healing attitude” was going to have to be good. My success DEPENDED on it.

Children have this healing attitude “built in”....... As scared as they might be, they quickly realize that they have to get the job done. It essentially becomes a mission, and if something happens, they adapt quickly. They also have total trust in their surgeons. Maybe this is a good way to look at it, learn from the kids....they teach us so much.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X