No announcement yet.

Getting in shape AFTER surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a great list, Karen. Thank you. Janet have you more detailed instructions than she gave me. I am going to print this out and take it with me.
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Susie Bee -- I'm printing yours, too. Thanks!! :-)
      age 48
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

Evelyn,
        Janet gave me a printout with exercises I could do early in my recovery and added some to it when I went for check-ups, but the list on my previous post was from my YMCA. I took that with me to each visit and went over it with Janet. I just didn't want you to think she slighted you by not giving you as many exercises to do. For the first year, I stayed out of the workout room at the Y and only did Janet's list of exercises at home, walked, and did water aerobics.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Evelyn,

I'm 4 years post-op and recently started "Pure Barre", which is a lot of isometric movements, strengthening and lengthening--basically a combination of yoga, pilates and ballet movements. There are a lot of barre places popping around everywhere (big fitness trend, lots of home workout DVDs), and I would suggest something similar that doesn't require a large range of motion and doesn't put pressure on your joints. It really got me back in shape without putting pressure on my back. That's why I like these classes, because even though I'm 4 years post-op, I still find some discomfort with high impact exercise..even running. The stretching/lengthening aspect of this kind of workout did wonders for my back muscles. It incorporates some weight training for your upper body, and I usually use around 3 lb. or 5 lb. weights.

-Tinamaria

Comment

Thanks, I will check it out!!
            age 48

Comment

I love barre classes, I was taking them 4-5 times a week before my surgery. I can't wait to go back but I'm thinking maybe at 1 year. I recommend Bar Method as it was developed by physical therapists.

Comment

Working...
              X