Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Just what defines a " Good outcome from scoliosis surgery."

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis area
    Posts
    966
    On the hardware removal issue, if you talk to people who were initially fused without instrumentation, you will find some who had curves return. I believe if I remember correctly that this happened to Nanlo and Karen Ocker. That is why I don't plan to have my hardware removed, with the possible exception of the iliac screw that irritates me.
    age 44
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,745
    my question is about people who had hardware and are one or two years
    out from their surgery...
    i was told that once the spine is fused, it is fused, period...
    and nothing will change it..
    that is why i am confused about how it could re-curve AFTER it has
    fully fused with the hardware in place...
    i read what Linda Racine said about "...at a snail's pace.."
    but am still very surprised that it could curve at all, after full fusion.

    jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 06-19-2013 at 03:20 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
    my question is about people who had hardware and are one or two years
    out from their surgery...
    i was told that once the spine is fused, it is fused, period...
    and nothing will change it..
    that is why i am confused about how it could re-curve AFTER it has
    fully fused with the hardware in place...
    i read what Linda Racine said about "...at a snail's pace.."
    but am still very surprised that it could curve at all, after full fusion.

    jess
    It's because the body regenerates. Every cell in the body is replaced every so often. We slough off skin cells at a rapid rate. Bone cells are replaced at a slower rate, but are replaced none the less. So the forces that acted on the spine are still there with or without hardware. If those forces are strong enough, over time the spine will regrow into the curved shape again as cells are replaced.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis area
    Posts
    966
    Jess,

    That's IF the hardware is removed. I believe if you have a solid fusion and hardware remains in place, it shouldn't re-curve. (Though Dr. Lenke tells me there is some "settling" that occurs in the first year or so. Aka why my back doesn't look as perfect as it did when I came home from the hospital.)

    Evelyn
    age 44
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    The person I know actually still has the hardware in, to my knowledge, and the rods eventually bent. She's a severe and exceptional case though AND it was the old Harrington hardware.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,801
    Quote Originally Posted by rohrer01 View Post
    The person I know actually still has the hardware in, to my knowledge, and the rods eventually bent. She's a severe and exceptional case though AND it was the old Harrington hardware.
    Rohrer... I've actually never heard of this happening. There were some surgeons who bent Harrington rods before implanting them, and I'm betting that's what has actually happened. If this person has films of the rods when they were supposedly straight, and the now bent rods, I'd be really interested in seeing them.

    --Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,745
    Evelyn...i get it...
    i do not understand why hardware removal is a problem AFTER fusion
    has taken place...
    how do fused bones move...???
    that was my question...
    i will never understand how that is possible...cell regeneration or no...
    something fused shouldn't bend...doesn't make sense to me.
    i thought one doesn't NEED the hardware after fusion.

    jess

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Rohrer... I've actually never heard of this happening. There were some surgeons who bent Harrington rods before implanting them, and I'm betting that's what has actually happened. If this person has films of the rods when they were supposedly straight, and the now bent rods, I'd be really interested in seeing them.

    --Linda
    Linda, that is NOT a fair request. If she wants her x-rays on the internet, she would post them herself. The only reason I even mention her is BECAUSE she is such an exceptional case, not to invade her privacy. I never said that her rods were straight to begin with.
    I'm not comfortable asking her for her films to post on the internet. I will try to talk to her when I'm in that neck of the woods and get the story first hand. That's the best I can offer.
    Last edited by rohrer01; 06-20-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    west midlands, UK
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
    Evelyn...i get it...
    i do not understand why hardware removal is a problem AFTER fusion
    has taken place...
    how do fused bones move...???
    that was my question...
    i will never understand how that is possible...cell regeneration or no...
    something fused shouldn't bend...doesn't make sense to me.
    i thought one doesn't NEED the hardware after fusion.

    jess
    I always thought this too, I thought the rods were merely the scaffolding and once you are fused they were no longer required but it doesnt seem to be that simple. My surgeon won't commit himself in saying its safe to remove them because I'm am fused. He jut said there are no guarantees and there is a settling period which means I could recurve 10-15% but again-no guarantees so its not as simple as we think. I think they can't guarantee anything because they just don't know how well you have fused or if there are small sections that haven't used so well.

    If only he had used the system which allows screw removal without removing everything else then I wouldn't be in such a dilemma because I know its those darn screws giving me all this grief.
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Bluestone,
    I didn't post this information to scare you out of having your hardware removed. You have to weigh the pros and cons in your own particular case. You can talk to your doctor about this dilemma that you have. Perhaps having the hardware out will improve your quality of life. I don't know what they do for people who progress again after fusion. There has to be something that they can do if it happens. I think it would depend on the expertise of the revision surgeon. If you are in that much pain, it would be worth talking to your doctor about. I'm sorry if I scared you. The case that I mentioned is very exceptional. I hope you find some relief one way or another.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    west midlands, UK
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by rohrer01 View Post
    Bluestone,
    I didn't post this information to scare you out of having your hardware removed. You have to weigh the pros and cons in your own particular case. You can talk to your doctor about this dilemma that you have. Perhaps having the hardware out will improve your quality of life. I don't know what they do for people who progress again after fusion. There has to be something that they can do if it happens. I think it would depend on the expertise of the revision surgeon. If you are in that much pain, it would be worth talking to your doctor about. I'm sorry if I scared you. The case that I mentioned is very exceptional. I hope you find some relief one way or another.
    Its okay, you didnt scare me at all.
    I have being doing nothing but weigh the pros and cons. Its just so unfortunate for me that I need screws removing because they are a problem BUT my surgeon used a system which doesn't allow that. Removing all my hardware just seems so drastic and absolutely not what I want.

    I've had a bad day today with impinging pain around the screws-its like a knife being pushed in and out and its a complete nuscience. I don't know how long will put up with it but part of me still hopes that in time it could settle. I'm now 2.5 years post op so maybe at my 3 year review it will be time to make that very difficult decision.
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    766
    I was wondering if any one can send a link to the possible problems after surgery. I know it is here but I can not find it. I need to send it on to someone and I don't want to print it out.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    3,555
    Jackie, here is a thread.

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...liosis-surgery

    There are also surgical books out there that explain in detail if needed.....If you need those links, I could do a little digging.

    If you need “specific” info on anterior complications, I have a few surgical text books on this subject.

    Pm me, let me know.

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •