No announcement yet.

Just what defines a " Good outcome from scoliosis surgery."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the hardware removal issue, if you talk to people who were initially fused without instrumentation, you will find some who had curves return. I believe if I remember correctly that this happened to Nanlo and Karen Ocker. That is why I don't plan to have my hardware removed, with the possible exception of the iliac screw that irritates me.
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

my question is about people who had hardware and are one or two years
      out from their surgery...
      i was told that once the spine is fused, it is fused, period...
      and nothing will change it..
      that is why i am confused about how it could re-curve AFTER it has
      fully fused with the hardware in place...
      i read what Linda Racine said about "...at a snail's pace.."
      but am still very surprised that it could curve at all, after full fusion.

jess
      Last edited by jrnyc; 06-19-2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
        my question is about people who had hardware and are one or two years
        out from their surgery...
        i was told that once the spine is fused, it is fused, period...
        and nothing will change it..
        that is why i am confused about how it could re-curve AFTER it has
        fully fused with the hardware in place...
        i read what Linda Racine said about "...at a snail's pace.."
        but am still very surprised that it could curve at all, after full fusion.

jess
        It's because the body regenerates. Every cell in the body is replaced every so often. We slough off skin cells at a rapid rate. Bone cells are replaced at a slower rate, but are replaced none the less. So the forces that acted on the spine are still there with or without hardware. If those forces are strong enough, over time the spine will regrow into the curved shape again as cells are replaced.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Jess,

That's IF the hardware is removed. I believe if you have a solid fusion and hardware remains in place, it shouldn't re-curve. (Though Dr. Lenke tells me there is some "settling" that occurs in the first year or so. Aka why my back doesn't look as perfect as it did when I came home from the hospital.)

Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

The person I know actually still has the hardware in, to my knowledge, and the rods eventually bent. She's a severe and exceptional case though AND it was the old Harrington hardware.
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
              The person I know actually still has the hardware in, to my knowledge, and the rods eventually bent. She's a severe and exceptional case though AND it was the old Harrington hardware.
              Rohrer... I've actually never heard of this happening. There were some surgeons who bent Harrington rods before implanting them, and I'm betting that's what has actually happened. If this person has films of the rods when they were supposedly straight, and the now bent rods, I'd be really interested in seeing them.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Evelyn...i get it...
                i do not understand why hardware removal is a problem AFTER fusion
                has taken place...
                how do fused bones move...???
                that was my question...
                i will never understand how that is possible...cell regeneration or no...
                something fused shouldn't bend...doesn't make sense to me.
                i thought one doesn't NEED the hardware after fusion.

jess

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Rohrer... I've actually never heard of this happening. There were some surgeons who bent Harrington rods before implanting them, and I'm betting that's what has actually happened. If this person has films of the rods when they were supposedly straight, and the now bent rods, I'd be really interested in seeing them.

--Linda
                  Linda, that is NOT a fair request. If she wants her x-rays on the internet, she would post them herself. The only reason I even mention her is BECAUSE she is such an exceptional case, not to invade her privacy. I never said that her rods were straight to begin with.
                  I'm not comfortable asking her for her films to post on the internet. I will try to talk to her when I'm in that neck of the woods and get the story first hand. That's the best I can offer.
                  Last edited by rohrer01; 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM.
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                    Evelyn...i get it...
                    i do not understand why hardware removal is a problem AFTER fusion
                    has taken place...
                    how do fused bones move...???
                    that was my question...
                    i will never understand how that is possible...cell regeneration or no...
                    something fused shouldn't bend...doesn't make sense to me.
                    i thought one doesn't NEED the hardware after fusion.

jess
                    I always thought this too, I thought the rods were merely the scaffolding and once you are fused they were no longer required but it doesnt seem to be that simple. My surgeon won't commit himself in saying its safe to remove them because I'm am fused. He jut said there are no guarantees and there is a settling period which means I could recurve 10-15% but again-no guarantees so its not as simple as we think. I think they can't guarantee anything because they just don't know how well you have fused or if there are small sections that haven't used so well.

If only he had used the system which allows screw removal without removing everything else then I wouldn't be in such a dilemma because I know its those darn screws giving me all this grief.
                    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Bluestone,
                      I didn't post this information to scare you out of having your hardware removed. You have to weigh the pros and cons in your own particular case. You can talk to your doctor about this dilemma that you have. Perhaps having the hardware out will improve your quality of life. I don't know what they do for people who progress again after fusion. There has to be something that they can do if it happens. I think it would depend on the expertise of the revision surgeon. If you are in that much pain, it would be worth talking to your doctor about. I'm sorry if I scared you. The case that I mentioned is very exceptional. I hope you find some relief one way or another.
                      Be happy!
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                        Bluestone,
                        I didn't post this information to scare you out of having your hardware removed. You have to weigh the pros and cons in your own particular case. You can talk to your doctor about this dilemma that you have. Perhaps having the hardware out will improve your quality of life. I don't know what they do for people who progress again after fusion. There has to be something that they can do if it happens. I think it would depend on the expertise of the revision surgeon. If you are in that much pain, it would be worth talking to your doctor about. I'm sorry if I scared you. The case that I mentioned is very exceptional. I hope you find some relief one way or another.
                        Its okay, you didnt scare me at all.
                        I have being doing nothing but weigh the pros and cons. Its just so unfortunate for me that I need screws removing because they are a problem BUT my surgeon used a system which doesn't allow that. Removing all my hardware just seems so drastic and absolutely not what I want.

I've had a bad day today with impinging pain around the screws-its like a knife being pushed in and out and its a complete nuscience. I don't know how long will put up with it but part of me still hopes that in time it could settle. I'm now 2.5 years post op so maybe at my 3 year review it will be time to make that very difficult decision.
                        Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

I was wondering if any one can send a link to the possible problems after surgery. I know it is here but I can not find it. I need to send it on to someone and I don't want to print it out.
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                          Osteotomy

Comment

Jackie, here is a thread.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...liosis-surgery

There are also surgical books out there that explain in detail if needed.....If you need those links, I could do a little digging.

If you need “specific” info on anterior complications, I have a few surgical text books on this subject.

Pm me, let me know.

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                            X