Non-Surgical Treatment for Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Surgical Treatment for Scoliosis

I am posting this question for my mother in hopes that someone can help me.

My mother has had scoliosis since childhood. However, due to her age she is not a candidate for surgery.

She has been to a number of excellent orthopedists and physiatrists in New York City who have recommended physical therapy. Unfortunately these physical therapists do not have an expertise in treating scoliosis.

She would like to find a experienced massage therapist in either New York City or Brooklyn, New York who is experienced in working with scoliosis patients. Ideally, it would be great if the therapist could come to the house but she is open to other options.

I hope that someone can provide me with some leads. Please e-mail me at: amk9004@yahoo.com with any information,

Thank you.

Hi there. Is your mom in pain? I do not know any PTs in NY, but I personally have had pain relief from Rolfing, it is gentle and there is probably somebody in NYC. If you would like I can ask my practitioner if she knows anyone. Rolfing is expensive but in my case it helped very much. Sincerely, Laura
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

Comment

Dear paynewhitney!

Where THE common non-surgical treatment against scoliosis is the Schroth-Therapy.

With the Schroth-therapy a proven method of three dimensional respiratory breathing exercises is utilized. These exercises are designed to strengthen spinal and pelvic muscles, reshape rib deformity and increase the vital capacity of the lungs. This therapie helps people at any age to stop pain and progression of the curves.

There is a Schroth trained physical therapist in New York City at Chiropractic Care of New York. 212-360-7760 http://www.nstllc.com

Actually I am not from NY, I am not even from America, so it might seem that I am not the right person to give you an advise. However, I am sure it is definitly worth to go there and at least have a talk to the therapists there because they seem to be very experianced.

best regards,
      Lilith

Comment

massage for scoliosis

hello,

Massage will only be secondary to be the problem. The muscles are not pulling the body out of alignment, the central nervous system is sending bad signals to the body and the muscle stretch/tension is secondary(american journal of orthopedics, 2005)

I am not aware of any therapist in NY but you can go to:
        http://www.clear-institute.com/downloads.php

Download the notes on this page, it shows great new research being done on permanent correct of the spinal curves.

You can also contact them to see if they have a qualified provider in your area.

Comment

what to do now.

does going to the gym and getting fit help? i have been going to the gym and just recently i have had a pain that i have never felt before and im wondering if its due to my scoliosis or something different. I have never heard of some of the things (non-surgical) treatments discussed here because i had stopped seeing a doctor at the age of 13- id like to know more about the non-surgical treatments. my sister had surgery 3 years ago, her spine is still curved but not as much.

Comment

Hi,
            I used to live in Long Beach in the 80's-miss it! I also have scoliosis and have not been seen by a doctor for many years. I am currently starting a yoga excercise program for scoliosis sufferers, "Yoga for Scoliosis" by Elise Browing Miller, not as a cure but I have found it has help me as far as mobility, flexibility and pain management. I tried to get my son started on it, but he is not as careful to position himself correctly and from what I have read that may exacerbate the condition, so I may look an instructor who practices the Iyengar form of yoga. Good luck to you -
            Flowerpower

Comment

Trying to find yoga video

Where can you get this yoga video that eveyone is mentioning 'Yoga for Scoliosis'. Is it available in the UK.

Sick of being in pain am trying pilates but its not 'for scoliosis'

Cheers for any help.

Barbs

Comment

Barbs...

http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

yoga

Linda

You do not appear sceptical as you were with regards to chiropracter treatment. Do you think there could be a potential benefit in using yoga??

gerbo (uk)

Comment

Working...
                  X