Folding Grabbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding Grabbers

I am packing for the hospital and rehab . I was wondering if any of you has come across a grabber that folds down to fit in a suitcase.

Thanks

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Melissa, I have seen folding grabbers on the internet, but that wouldn't give you much time to get them. You might go to a Shopko pharmacy or some other pharmacy that sells medical equipment OR go to a medical supply store and see if they have them. By that, I don't mean you, I mean your husband or have a friend go and see. I hope you find some. You will still have a little time for someone to find you one once you are in the hospital. How long are you supposed to be in the actual hospital? I hope you have a speedy recovery. It will be nice to be able to look people in the face. =)

I think I kind of know a little bit how you feel. My Botox injections paralyze my neck muscles so that when I'm on my hands and knees (like gardening, playing with grandson, etc.) I literally can NOT lift my head up. I get terrible head and neck aches from trying. I had them inject a different spot higher up this time and it helped with the headaches but I still can't lift my head. I also still get neck aches. So I'm empathizing with you. Although my pain is probably nothing compared to what you experience. I can imagine that your muscles are "frustrated and angry", meaning painful and inflamed, by trying to pull your head up and not being able to since your neck is fused. This is hopefully going to let them rest.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Dr Bederman is having me stay in the hospital one week and then go to rehab for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions about local places to have a look

Melissa
      Melissa

Comment

Amazon has quite a few, and they can ship them to arrive as early as tomorrow:

FOLDING GRABBERS
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm not sure what you want, but you can buy the gopher kind at Wal-Mart or Walgreens:
          https://www.google.com/search?q=goph...w=1280&bih=574

I have one that I use sometimes-- and I remember some people just swearing by them. Best wishes. Praying for you!

I just looked a little closer and I know we just bought mine right at a Wal-Mart store in a not-so-big place... but maybe they're not available everywhere. Most cities have health supply stores where you can buy things like reachers or even sections in a drug store that have "special needs" items... The gopher was so popular, though, that they advertised it on TV and it was readily available at one time.
          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 05-27-2013, 05:30 PM.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Amazon has quite a few, and they can ship them to arrive as early as tomorrow:

FOLDING GRABBERS
            Thank you Linda. I just ordered one and it should be at my house on Wednesday
            . One less item to think about

Melissa
            Melissa

Comment

Good luck, Melissa! I will be thinking about you and sending prayers your way.

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Same here Melissa-- praying for your surgeon and team and all to go smoothly, as well as your recovery. Your sweet yet courageous spirit through so many hardships has truly inspired so many on the forum. Surely this will be "the time" for the final successful surgery. Hugs, Susie
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Good luck, Melissa. Wishing you a successful surgery and quick recovery.
                  I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                  45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                  A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Grabbers

Hi Melissa,

I wanted to tell you that when I was in the hospital, somehow I got a wedge pillow that fit under my knees. But then, when I went to Rehab for a week, they gave me a Grabber, Sock Helper thingy and a hook to grab things. These were the BEST presents I received!!!!

I wouldn't worry about getting one now, ask the hospital or Rehab center you go to, when they're teaching you how to roll, etc., more than likely they'll give you one.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X