Thread: Folding Grabbers

Folding Grabbers

I am packing for the hospital and rehab . I was wondering if any of you has come across a grabber that folds down to fit in a suitcase.

Thanks

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

Melissa, I have seen folding grabbers on the internet, but that wouldn't give you much time to get them. You might go to a Shopko pharmacy or some other pharmacy that sells medical equipment OR go to a medical supply store and see if they have them. By that, I don't mean you, I mean your husband or have a friend go and see. I hope you find some. You will still have a little time for someone to find you one once you are in the hospital. How long are you supposed to be in the actual hospital? I hope you have a speedy recovery. It will be nice to be able to look people in the face. =)

I think I kind of know a little bit how you feel. My Botox injections paralyze my neck muscles so that when I'm on my hands and knees (like gardening, playing with grandson, etc.) I literally can NOT lift my head up. I get terrible head and neck aches from trying. I had them inject a different spot higher up this time and it helped with the headaches but I still can't lift my head. I also still get neck aches. So I'm empathizing with you. Although my pain is probably nothing compared to what you experience. I can imagine that your muscles are "frustrated and angry", meaning painful and inflamed, by trying to pull your head up and not being able to since your neck is fused. This is hopefully going to let them rest.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Dr Bederman is having me stay in the hospital one week and then go to rehab for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions about local places to have a look

Melissa
    Melissa

Amazon has quite a few, and they can ship them to arrive as early as tomorrow:

FOLDING GRABBERS
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

I'm not sure what you want, but you can buy the gopher kind at Wal-Mart or Walgreens:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=goph...w=1280&bih=574

I have one that I use sometimes-- and I remember some people just swearing by them. Best wishes. Praying for you!

I just looked a little closer and I know we just bought mine right at a Wal-Mart store in a not-so-big place... but maybe they're not available everywhere. Most cities have health supply stores where you can buy things like reachers or even sections in a drug store that have "special needs" items... The gopher was so popular, though, that they advertised it on TV and it was readily available at one time.
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 05-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    66 and still heartbroken...
    2007 52 w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior spinal fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15
    2014 DXd w/CMT (type 2)

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Amazon has quite a few, and they can ship them to arrive as early as tomorrow:

FOLDING GRABBERS
    Thank you Linda. I just ordered one and it should be at my house on Wednesday
    . One less item to think about

Melissa
    Melissa

Good luck, Melissa! I will be thinking about you and sending prayers your way.

Evelyn
    age 44
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Same here Melissa-- praying for your surgeon and team and all to go smoothly, as well as your recovery. Your sweet yet courageous spirit through so many hardships has truly inspired so many on the forum. Surely this will be "the time" for the final successful surgery. Hugs, Susie
    66 and still heartbroken...
    2007 52 w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior spinal fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15
    2014 DXd w/CMT (type 2)

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Good luck, Melissa. Wishing you a successful surgery and quick recovery.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Grabbers

Hi Melissa,

I wanted to tell you that when I was in the hospital, somehow I got a wedge pillow that fit under my knees. But then, when I went to Rehab for a week, they gave me a Grabber, Sock Helper thingy and a hook to grab things. These were the BEST presents I received!!!!

I wouldn't worry about getting one now, ask the hospital or Rehab center you go to, when they're teaching you how to roll, etc., more than likely they'll give you one.

Chris