I think the key reassuring thing is the first thing they say - "To date, PJK has been primarily a radiographical finding." I believe that means that patients aren't coming in complaining about it after surgery - it's just something that they see when they take the after-surgery xrays. So, for most of these patients, it doesn't go on to be a problem. Only 30% of those where they see the PJK on the xray complain about pain.

We have had a few people on the forum develop PJK after surgery, and a handful of those have needed further surgery to extend the fusion. It's a bigger deal, in my son's case, because his fusion would end right below his neck, so there's not really anywhere to continue the fusion other than going into the neck.

Every single one of these articles lists a different possible cause, and I have no idea why. The smartest thing I've heard anyone say, and I don't actually know that it's right, it just made the most sense to me, was when Linda Racine said she thought the issue was that the surgeon hadn't fused to the right vertebrae and so had left a little bit of the curve still at the top.

My son hasn't had spinal surgery, but he did have surgery on his jaw. I swear I read every single article listing every single problem, and he's had nary a one