pelvic screw has migrated onto sciatic nerve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pelvic screw has migrated onto sciatic nerve

Hi all. I haven't posted in years proving Linda's theory that if you aren't having trouble with your scoliosis, you're probably not posting. I had my original fusion, T3-L5 done in 98. In 2005 I had my beautiful daughter (C-Section) and all was fine until 2007 when I noticed something was amiss. Both of my rods had broke and I had a redo then. Unfortunately, I fused with a nasty twist, no pun intended. I was leaning to the right and forward. After several doctor visits with several top scoli surgeons, my doc and another went in a year later and did the AP version including fusing my SI joints which included two, four inch screws in my pelvis. That was in 2008. I did lose quit a bit of leg flexibility with that one and really noticed my limitations although I can still ride my horses! Ever since I woke up in ICU after the second part of that surgery, my sciatic nerve on the right side has made my life miserable. I have also lost circumference in that leg compared to the left. Well about 5 weeks ago I had a CT done and the doc discovered that the screw on that side has migrated through the bone and is happily resting on that nerve. Hence my problem. So here I go again. June 3rd to back the screw out and hopefully use just a sponge in place of a new screw to promote new bone growth in that area. I adamantly informed my doctor that he will NOT be taking that long rod out while he is in there and putting a new one in. He had mentioned that he may have to cut the end of that rod to get the screw out. There is NO WAY I will ever do that again. I told him that I don't care if he has to use paper clips, no way. So after the initial crying jag because of facing yet another surgery, I am anxious to get it done so that this pain stops. I have my faith in God and Jesus to lean on and a wonderful mother-in-law who will be babysitting and staying with us when I get home to help. I have lined up folks to do the barn work for a few weeks and made sure that my "roots" get done just days before this trip. So I am wondering: Anyone else here ever had this experience on anything close?? I would love to here from you and hopefully get a few words of encouragement. Thanks for reading this, Krysi

Oh Krysi.... you've certainly been through a lot. You and Melissa are having your surgeries June 3 and I, and many of us here, will be sending you our best wishes, in whatever form we are able. You definitely need that thing lifted off that nerve! I hope your surgery is 100% successful and this is the last one you ever need. In the meantime, I hope if there's someone else here with similar experience, that they come and give you a much needed boost in confidence.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh No!

Dear Krysi,
      I have not had that happen. You must be in so much pain. I feel so bad for you. I did have a part of the rods and screws taken out and replaced but it was in the thorasic. I know the lumbar is harder to recover. Did they not look at this sooner ?
      I fractured through the t9 level--six days after surgery. I complained all of the time about pain there, But was not checked by a Ct scan for 2 years. Like you, then the problem was found.
      Please keep us updated. My best to you,Jackie
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

I've been complaining about this since the day it was done. It has just gotten so much worse especially with my leg shrinking. This is the first time that my doctor suggested the CT scan. Must have been pretty obvious because he called me within 30 minutes of my returning from that test. Had the angiogram done last week that was suggested by the vascular doc that did the exposure for my AP surgery. I think that he wanted to make sure that the IVC filter that he had put in between the anterior and posterior surgeries did not develop an aneurism on it since he FORGOT to take it out and remembered three months after I had been home. He and his partner tried 3 times to fish it out but only succeeded in turning it so it is there forever. Now I take Coumadin thanks to him.

Comment

Oh my gosh--this is just awful. I truly hope you can get this taken care of quickly and get some relief. I can't imagine. You and Melissa will be having surgery on the same day. You've both been through way too much. We will fire up the positive thoughts and prayers for you both on that day!! Best of luck to you both. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
          X