Gene Associated With Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Identified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rohrer, well put.

There are two sets of parents as far as anyone can tell... those whose kids are surgical and those whose kids are not. Most people are pro-reality. That's it. Everything else is imaginary ("pro-bracing", "pro-surgery", "pro-PT", etc.).

There is little to no evidence any parent can do anything to change which group their kids are in. But that doesn't stop all the singing.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      There is very little Natural Selection in humans.
      (facepalm) Natural selection never rests. It doesn't have a choice. It's always operating on us. Period.

Without getting too specific the reason I've been writing lately is because it's either that or play video games. My current project runs itself and my next big project doesn't start until June.

So in June you will be free of me reminding you that Scoliosis isn't caused by heredity. 8-)

Maybe a little sooner.

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger
        That's why I'm trying to work through the wording. I think there's all kinds of confusion about how people are using the word "heritable" and "genetic"

I'm *trying* to limit my use to things which are strictly or almost strictly genetic. I know there's genes underlying everything, so the only thing I want to get at is - do people think it's *just* a genetic disease, or do we all think that it's like most other diseases - partly genetic and partly environmental.

I suspect we all think it's partly genetic and partly environment. If so, we can kind of move on from that discussion and see if we can get any clarity on the rest of it.
        Heritable and Genetic can be used interchangeably EXCEPT for NEW mutations in the offspring that neither parent has. IF neither parent has the DNA sequence that caused the phenotype (whether it be disease or a variant of a "normal" trait), THEN it is strictly genetic.

Example: Down's Syndrome usually does not start out as heritable because there is a mistake during meiosis that leads to either a full or partial piece of chromosome 21 ending up in the embryo. In cases like this the mother doesn't have body cells with this configuration. Down's Syndrome becomes heritable when a person who already has Down's Syndrome has a child with Down's Syndrome. In that case, a person with Down's Syndrome that reproduces with a person without Down's Syndrome will have a 50% chance of having a Down's baby and a 50% chance of having a genetically normal baby. In our society, Down's Syndrome is usually genetic because those people are usually prevented from reproducing by their caregivers by means of separation from the opposite sex or abortion if pregnancy does occur. Some people with Down's Syndrome do, however, go on to have children, which would be heritable IF the child ends up with Down's. This is a moral debate that I don't want to discuss any further.

Every piece of our DNA is otherwise heritable and genetic.

That's the gist of heritable vs. genetic.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• rohrer01
          Years from now when scientists pin Scoliosis on some sort of common, infectious disease (and they will) all I ask is that you remember these threads.

... and remember the name Dingo. 8-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            Rohrer, well put.

There are two sets of parents as far as anyone can tell... those whose kids are surgical and those whose kids are not. Most people are pro-reality. That's it. Everything else is imaginary ("pro-bracing", "pro-surgery", "pro-PT", etc.).

There is little to no evidence any parent can do anything to change which group their kids are in. But that doesn't stop all the singing.
            There are two sets of members here: One containing those worry for them or their kids and the other cointining people doing an inmoral work here. The same that you are doing here since many years ago. And you are saying to be angry to be accused of having two accounts? If certainly you are not lying, you should to be angry for be confused with that member! She has to much to learn from you!.
            Last edited by flerc; 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by flerc View Post
              There are two sets of members here: One containing those worry for them or their kids and the other cointining people doing an inmoral work here. The same that you are doing here since many years ago. And you are saying to be angry to be accused of having two accounts? If certainly you are not lying, you should to be angry for be confused with that member! She has to much to learn from you!.
              Do you get mad when someone lies about you?

I can agree with Spiderpug and still point out that it is not my account.

There is not one single reason or hint of a reason or iota of a reason why I would not post something like that under my account. The accusation makes NO sense whatsoever.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by flerc View Post

Rohrer, is sad for me to see you defending this kind of people.. really sad..
                Once again, if people would stick to discussing IDEAS rather than attacking individual members, the tone of this forum would be much improved and more helpful to all.

Unfortunately, some people seem unwilling to do this. I would ask people to defend their IDEAS, and refrain from name calling. It would also add much credibility to posts if they did not contain personal attacks and name calling, but rather stuck to discussing facts and ideas. I've always taught my kids to state their case without getting emotional or angry with someone they may not agree with. Fortunatley, they all seem to have grasped that concept, even my youngest.

I'm just saying.........
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• People for whom surgery is not safe are NOT surgical.

Manufacturing complexity where none exists. More than just a bad idea.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    Rohrer, well put.

By the way, by "surgical," I mean non-fusion along with fusion techniques.

Certainly non-fusion surgery seems to have the chance to head off fusion surgery but they are both surgery.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                      Once again, if people would stick to discussing IDEAS rather than attacking individual members, the tone of this forum would be much improved and more helpful to all.

Unfortunately, some people seem unwilling to do this. I would ask people to defend their IDEAS, and refrain from name calling. It would also add much credibility to posts if they did not contain personal attacks and name calling, but rather stuck to discussing facts and ideas. I've always taught my kids to state their case without getting emotional or angry with someone they may not agree with. Fortunatley, they all seem to have grasped that concept, even my youngest.

I'm just saying.........
                      Is right what you said but you quoted my posts instead of the one of your friend. For you an attack is ever only something said by members against the inmoral work done by your friend. And of course since you ever defend her you are accomplice of that work.

Comment

• To end my week on a positive note... and because I've got nothing particularly productive to do... guess where I'm headed to in 2 hours?

If you guessed DISNEYLAND you're right!

I think my wife read that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was closed for repairs. But we've got reservations at the restaurant inside the Pirate's Of The Caribbean ride.

See ya! 8-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                          To end my week on a positive note... and because I've got nothing particularly productive to do... guess where I'm headed to in 2 hours?

If you guessed DISNEYLAND you're right!

I think my wife read that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was closed for repairs. But we've got reservations at the restaurant inside the Pirate's Of The Caribbean ride.

See ya! 8-)
                          Have a great time in Disney World! I always loved the Pirates of the Caribbean.
                          "The most deadly action you can take is to internalize someone else's negativity, for once you start to believe it, you’re sunk."

Comment

• Have a great time Dingo! How fun....I love eating there with the fireflies. :-)

You and Scott have a wonderful time, you both deserve it!

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger
                              Flerc, I know you're just trying to provide context for your response, but what you're *actually* doing is posting all of Pooka's posts a second time, and also making them visible to those of us who have chosen to put her on ignore.

I suspect you don't believe that every one of Pooka's posts deserves to be posted twice. Would you mind finding some way of providing context which doesn't amplify her message. Anyone who can read the thread can read her post themselves, and the rest of us can be left in our blissful ignorance

I am grimly bemused, though, by the idea that those of us for whom there is no safe medical treatment should just "accept reality." I'm going to confer with Dante about which circle *that* belongs in!
                              Sorry Hdugger, in order to not interrupt your 'blissful ignorance' in this thread, I reply you here http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...237#post150237

Comment

• Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                                rohrer01
                                Years from now when scientists pin Scoliosis on some sort of common, infectious disease (and they will) all I ask is that you remember these threads.

... and remember the name Dingo. 8-)
                                If they find that ALL idiopathic scoliosis has an infectious component, I will give you bragging rights and personally take you and your wife to dinner when I'm in Arizona. How's that? Have fun at Disneyland.
                                Be happy!
                                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X