Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogmatic representation of Science and the public

(Science with a capital S)

Apparently the Scandinavians have been busy lately actually figuring things out like the Danish p. acnes and back pain relationship study instead of defending their turf. Much applause deserved.

From the largest independent research organization in Scandinavia:

In open societies where both scientists and the general public are equipped with critical skills and the tools of inquiry, not least enabled by the information revolution provided through the Internet, the ethos of science as open, questioning, critical and anti-dogmatic should and can be defended also by the public at large. Efforts to make people bow uncritically to the authority of a dogmatic representation of Science, seems largely to produce ridicule, opposition and inaction, and ultimately undermines the legitimacy and role of both science and politics in open democracies

http://www.sintef.no/upload/Teknolog...ontroversy.pdf

SINTEF (Norwegian: Stiftelsen for industriell og teknisk forskning), headquartered in Trondheim, Norway, is the largest independent research organisation in Scandinavia. Every year, SINTEF supports research and development at 2,000 or so Norwegian and overseas companies via its research and development activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SINTEF

The Nords are spot on Ballet Mom. Maybe I'm partial because I'm half Swedish. 8-)

It reminds of how hard it was to convince the medical establishment that ulcers were caused by a common infection. Not heredity, stress, diet, etc.

Timeline of peptic ulcer disease and Helicobacter pylori

1958: John Lykoudis successfully treats his own gastroenteritis with antibiotics.
    1965: Lykoudis presents his antibiotic treatment for PUD at a meeting of the Medico-Surgical Society in Greece. He is largely shunned by the medical establishment.
    1968: Lykoudis is fined 4,000 drachmas for treating PUD patients with his treatment, which includes antibiotics.

1983: Gastroenterological Society of Australia rejects Marshall's abstract to present his research at their yearly conference. They deem it in the bottom 10% of papers submitted. The same abstract is accepted for presentation at a Campylobacter workshop in Brussels.
    1984: Marshall and Warren's paper is accepted by The Lancet in May and published in June. Many reviewers dislike the pape.

2005: Warren and Marshall are awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their work on H. pylori and PUD.

Comment

Hah! I should have guessed you were part Scandinavian! My dad is of Swedish heritage too. My grandpa was smart as a whip and created the most amazing things down in his basement, very quiet and very reserved.

Hard to make the Vikings bow down, lol.

Comment

Working...
      X