Hooray! 6 year anniversary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooray! 6 year anniversary!

I've come so far these past six years! I'm so glad I had my surgery-- I know I would be in terrible shape now if I hadn't. As it is, I doubt that anyone I come into contact with "on the street" realizes I have any problem unless there is something we end up doing that requires too much activity beyond my limitations. I look great (for my age!), feel great unless I overdo things, and I am completely satisfied. It is not a panacea... there are many things I cannot do that I once was able to do--but I doubt I would be doing them anymore anyway, and I gladly traded those for this new, improved life. To all the friends on the forum that I've known for years, thank you so much for your support! And thank you to all you newer ones that don't know me very well. I used to be much more active, but my life is much more active now, I work full time, so I don't spend as much time posting. That's a good thing. Life is good, I find joy in what I can do, and I enjoy reading about you all quite often even if I don't respond. The Lord has blessed me richly and I pray he will bless you too. Take care.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

I am so happy for you and I hope it continues
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

nice to hear another success story
      Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
      53*T 71*L
      Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
      Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Thank you for your post! I just started my seventh month of recovery and most days are really good. But today I had enough pain that I just had to stop for hours and I was almost discouraged. I honestly have never thought so far ahead. My back was slowly collapsing over the past decade until it finally broke last year. Because of the pain, I barely planned more than a couple months ahead. Your post really made me think. I've been so used to focusing on "This day" or "this month" but ... what if I started thinking Next year? Two years from now? I need to start thinking ahead! This is very good. I've been talking of going back to college because it's a fun conversation. But you make me realize that it's not just a conversation anymore. Those days of uncertainty, filled with great pain are becoming a thing of the past. I need to do some Forward thinking!
        Thank you. I am so glad you are doing great. Thank you for sharing.
        1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
        2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
        2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
        2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
        2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
        At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
        Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
        Post op x-ray

Comment

Congratulations Susie! It's very heart-warming to read of your special kind of gratitude and know that, 6 years down the track, you can be so happy to have had the surgery.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience and joy, Susie! It takes time to heal. A great message to the rest of us.

Dollie
            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
            Before and after xrays:
            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Suzie Bee

I had to look at your signature to confirm the date! Time flies by when we are having fun that’s for sure....

I have enjoyed reading your valuable posts over the years...

As for scoliosis, what can we say? Maybe it was or is just a little stumbling block in our lives......you trip and fall, and you get up once again....I think this sums it all up.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank you, friends, for you posts. They mean much. Plus I have a nice picture of Ed scuba diving in my scrapbook. (big smile)... Ha ha ha. I love it! And lots of others' pictures from the past. We push on, don't we? We are strong and we are united and we have bonded and been to he** and back. Some of you many times. I've had my own problems with cancer as well. Our scoliosis surgeries and recoveries build character and strength that so many others don't understand.

JuliaAnn-- I thought I was "all healed" at one year and that was "it" (a bit disappointed!) and I've discovered that I've continually gotten better and better over the years. Stronger, straighter*, and more able to do things. I still have BLT limitations, but that is ok with me. Life is wonderful. But when you have melanoma at 20 and are now 62, your perspective on life changes. I have been blessed. God is good.

Yes, Ed, bumps... without them, who would know how good life can be? But some people get too many, like Melissa and Linda and some others from the past. So we pray and pray.

*By straighter, I mean I hold my body up straighter than I did at first-- not that my back is any straighter. My muscle tone was weaker then and my shoulders were a bit off and I kind of leaned a bit to one side. I worked on that and I am straight now with even shoulders... (smile) Yay for my PT at 11 months -- he helped me a lot!
                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Congratulations, Susie! I always liked reading your posts - they project such warmth and optimism. It is so great to hear from people several years out - helps a lot of us, newbies, and people in deciding stage. Take care.
                  I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                  45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                  A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Susie,
                    I just got goose bumps reading your wonderful post. Congratulations on your 6 year anniversary! You have been such an inspiration to many of us on the forum.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congratulations Susie, my good friend! I'm so happy to hear that you are doing so well; you certainly deserve it! I too used to be way more active on this board, and I do miss it! I can't believe how long it's been either, you seemed like such a wealth of knowledge when I came around 5 years ago, but you were new at all of this too!

How old are those grandbabies now? 3 or 4?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Yes, we are old friends, you and I, Debbei! Like Ed. Can you believe they are four! Well, one turned four last Tuesday-- the other will this Tuesday. We had our party last Saturday. My daughter and family from NH were visiting for 6 days. And the other one from 2 hours away... What fun!!! Grandpa bought a 2 seater John Deere gator plus they went fishing and we went to a fun railroad restaurant with lots of trains... plus had a Star Wars party at home. Plus it's just fun here on the fish and wildlife area where we live. We saw goslings, deer, beaver, and all sorts of "critters"... and both boys got real binoculars that they were so excited about. Just like Grandpa! (He spent HOURS finding real binoculars for little people, not toy ones!) Now it's back to a quiet house and work. Drat.

Thank you, I and G, for your nice posts. (smile).

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Dear Susie,
                          What can I say after everyone has said it all. Your post was a wonderful testament to your strength and courage and to the wonderful Doctors who dedicate their lives to help us on our journey. I thank God for the Doctors and for all the wonderful people on this forum who take the time to help the newbies get through their fears and answer all their many questions. You are one of those wonderful people. Susie, think how many lives you have touched. What a special woman you are and I am thankful that you touched my life. I am so happy for you that you have come through this trial with flying colors. I am glad that you are able to enjoy your beautiful grandchildren in a way that your never would had you not had your surgery. God Bless you and keep in touch.
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Susie,

I ditto what Sally said! Plus, let me just add that I think back all the time to your "tortoise and the hard" post. Really, it's helped me keep my sanity. Thank you for all your kindness and wisdom! I'm so glad you are doing so well!!

Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Susie--
                              Congratulations on 6 years! I'm 2 years behind you so your posts were always helpful and encouraging to me. I know you've been there for so many on here. So happy that your surgery has been so successful for you! Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                              X