No announcement yet.

Gemma Surgery went well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, no need to sweat the scar revision issue just yet. In the reading I did while considering whether to have it done, most sources recommended that the scar be a year or more old...
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

Saw that you mentioned that I don't come on here and just wanted to let you know that I do. I just don't usually post.

Bill's continues to do very well. He had his 3 month followup and the doctor gave the OK for him to lift up to 20 pounds and even wear a backpack. (That makes me nervous!)

I laughed at your comments regarding worrying about tripping (or was that Mamakay?) We went for a walk the other day and he and his sister jogged most of the way. I was so worried he would trip and fall. He seems amused by my concern.

He never complains about pain and never seems to need to rest after school. I really think he has forgotten that he has those rods in there. Sometimes he'll indicate that the muscles in his shoulders are tight, but not really painful. When I ask him, he says that his back still feels weird when touched, but that doesn't really bother him either.

He's been to the orthodontist with no problem (I remember you were concerned about that) although they just tightened some wires. They did say when they do a procedure that will be invasive he will need the antibiotics.

All in all, everything is going great. Now if only he would do his homework! (I can tell things are returning to normal because that is bothering me again.)

Take care,
      Susan

Comment

hi susan
        I was so glad to hear back from you. I didn't think you came around here anymore. I am so glad to hear that Bill is doing great! He was such a trooper from the beginning. When nicole was still laying around at home, he was out at the movies. Well i am looking forward to going back to the dr. in a few weeks to see what she is allowed to do. That is the hardest part now to keep them from doing the things they want to do. About a month ago we had a snowstorm and i was so nervous with nicole going out in the snow and the ice.
        well glad to hear from you stay in touch
        Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

I thought of you and Nicole yesterday when Jamie came home from school. Usually Jamie doesn't rest after school, but she did yesterday. They are doing testing right now and therefore, their classes aren't changing like they usually do. Jamie said she was tired from sitting in the same chair/same position for so long. Maybe that is part of Nicole's problem--does she need to get up and maybe move around a bit during class?

Jamie did mention last evening that she was a little sore and she hasn't complained of that for weeks so I know that is from sitting around too much in shcool yesterday. I know she will be sore later today as she starts p.t. today, and her legs are especially tight.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
            Sorry to hear Jamie was feeling a little sore yesterday. Nicole doesn't get up during her classes, but she does switch for each period so at least she gets up for that. The last 2 days she has been busy after school so she hasn't been resting and is fine. We can't complain i never imagined nicole to do as well as she did after the surgery, did you? And look how quick Jamie went back to school! Let me know how physical therapy goes and tell me what they do with her, we haven't gone in a few weeks. My husband switched jobs and we are waiting for our new insurance cards.
            Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

Nicole is doing fine. As we've all learned each kid is different and therefore they all heal at their own pace.

Jamie's therapy went well today. She did say her legs were a little sore after therapy when we walked up the steps at the mall afterwards. Mostly they are working on her legs at this point. Jamie's legs have always been very tight and in fact, she did some therapy for her legs and back several months before we even started planning surgery. She was in the pool for 1/2 hour-started out just walking on the treadmill; did some leg lifts to the front and back; did some squats; and did some bending from the waist. For the last few minutes she had to sit in front of the jets and just let the warm water hit her back. The therapist said we will probably do only the pool for the first three weeks and then move to other stuff and she will also be receiving a home program to do, which she still has from before, but we won't start that until they tell us to do so.

Life is good. Never thought any of us would be where we are this soon after surgery.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                the physical therapy will be good for jamie. Nicole hasn't gone in a few weeks since we are getting new health insurance and i am waiting for my new cards to come. I feel bad not getting her there though.
                Nicole seems to be feeling better she hasn't been laying down as much and now they are off all week so she'll have a good week off.
                how many days are you doing the p/t?

Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

I'm glad Nicole is doing well. I'm sure the week off of school will be good for her this week. But try to make sure she doesn't just sit around and get stiff. We went to a family gathering Saturday and Jamie told me she could tell that evening that she was sitting around way too much. Is she doing any exercises at home that she learned in therapy or didn't you get that far along with therapy? I hope you get your cards soon.

Jamie goes to therapy twice a week for six weeks at this point and she will have a program to follow at home.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                    they did give nicole some things to do at home but that was basically for her posture in the beginning and her shoulders. I don't know if you remember i was posting in the beginning that i was worried because her shoulders were really forward. The dr had said it was her guarding herself, but i was getting nervous that she would stay like that or that she got kyphosis (which she did not have before the surgery) so at p/t they were working on that alot, but her shoulders are perfectly fine now! Her posture looks beautiful. She was i guess just slouching herself in the beginning when she was in pain.
                    Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                    X