Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I finally got in contact with the Orthopedic office and am now scheduled for a total hip on July 8th. I am glad I could schedule in the Summer because most activities in our little harbour cease in the Summer because it is too hot to do very much and a lot of people head North to cooler climates. I will stay in my nice air conditioned house except when they make me start walking daily.
    Love to you all, Sally
    Hope all goes well. I will be interested in how your hip surgery goes. I am needing to have mine done soon

God bless
    Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Dearest Sally, good friend. So sorry to hear, but I know there was no other solution. I'm sure it's good to have the date set so you can plan. I'll be praying for you, of course. You are such a dear to me. I love that old picture of you skating after your surgery. Ahhh, we have such hopes, don't we? But I wanted to let you know that your signature brought tears to me eyes just now. It is wonderful. It was just what my parched soul needed. May he bless you richly indeed. We are lemonade makers, aren't we? And lemonade is a good trade off at times. You are a strong woman and a good friend. Hugs.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
        Hi everyone,
        I finally got in contact with the Orthopedic office and am now scheduled for a total hip on July 8th. I am glad I could schedule in the Summer because most activities in our little harbour cease in the Summer because it is too hot to do very much and a lot of people head North to cooler climates. I will stay in my nice air conditioned house except when they make me start walking daily.
        Love to you all, Sally
        Sally,
        I'm sad to hear that you have to have another surgery. BUT, I'm glad that you were able to schedule it during the time of year that you wanted to.

I've had a couple of friends that have had total hip replacements. I will tell you, just so you have an idea how things can go. The first friend had her surgery before I met her. She LOVED it! She said it totally eliminated her pain. When her other hip went (she was in excruciating pain), she begged the doctor for a hip replacement because she was so happy with the first one. Unfortunately, her heart was too weak to undergo another surgery and he had to tell her no. She was so upset because she felt that should be her choice. In the end, the doctor was right because she only lived a year or two longer (without the second hip replacement). I miss her tons. But she was, I believe 89 years old when she passed.

The second friend I know that had a hip replacement is a larger but frail woman. She didn't complain about pain from the surgery and her surgery went well, too. However, she didn't follow the doctor's instructions on her new mobility. There are certain ways that you can NOT move, depending on the brand of prosthetic arthrosis. She bent over in a way she wasn't supposed to and the hip dislocated, leaving her on the floor for a whole day until someone found her. So just be aware what limitations your new hip has, if any, and follow your doctor's instructions.

Do you have a support network around you to give assistance after your surgery? I wish you all the very best. Of course we all know you will keep us updated, right? I really hope this is the solution to your problem. You will know for sure after you are healed. Hopefully the pain will go away for good! But if not, you will be certain that it's coming from your back. Have a speedy recovery and just maybe you can get back on those skates!

Hugs
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Best wishes Sally. You have us all barracking for you. If it helps, I've never heard of a single bad outcome from hip replacement surgery, and I'm sure yours will be no different. I look forward to hearing about your much improved life in the not too distant future.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hi Sally
            so sorry to read that you need more surgery...
            i hope the hip replacement goes smoothly and the recovery
            is easier than the scoli surgery recovery...
            it would be so great to read that you are up and functioning
            well again, without pain...

i was surprised to read about the lower spine problems...
            i thought you were fused at the spot you are saying has a ruptured
            disc..i did not think it could happen, once fusion has occurred...
            i hope it can be resolved without needing more surgery on your spine...

best wishes...
            jess...and Sparky

Comment

Sally,
              I was sorry to hear about another surgery. I'm sure you feel you've had enough!! I know you will get through this too with your strong resilience--and many good thoughts and prayers from family, friends and forum folks. Best wishes. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Best wishes, Sally. Just think, soon you can tell everyone you're the bionic woman! Haha. Not making fun. We are all bionic women on this forum. And I am just thankful this medical science is available to us. I will be sending prayers your way and hoping for an end to your pain.

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Amen to a bunch of strong people!!

Hi Sally,
                  I am catching up on what's going on with everyone, and I see you too are going to have surgery again. A hip replacement? I have heard that's one of the easier replacements as far as recovery. Lets hope that's true.(smiles). Well, we have to give each other lots of "strength and support" on this site. I too will be looking at no. 3 revision surgery, no.1 was what caused adult onset scoliosis. And I have had several other major surgeries on body parts. We have to face all of this with lots of faith. I couldn't make it without faith.
                  Friday is my day of surgery.(31st.). I need my feet worked on as I have bunions that make my walking very painful and takes away what balance I have. My one big toe is laid over the top of my second toe. But with all the back problems and surgeries the feet are on hold for now. I am sending you all my thoughts and prayers that you get through this and back to skating in record time! Warmly, Linda
                  Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                  Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                  This started adult onset scoliosis
                  July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                  Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                  Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                  May 30th 2013 revision
                  May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                  May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Best of luck, Sally, with your hip replacement. That will a piece of cake compared to back surgery, however, I am sorry you have to go through surgery of any kind. Someone on this post mentioned that it would be nice to get together in person. I just read replies from Evelyn, Melissa, Jennifer, Janet, Susan,Jess, Debbe, Linda, Rohrer, and Ed and thought how lucky I am to have these wonderful friends and yet I've only met Evelyn and Linda. It's amazing how close we all feel after corresponding for months and even years but most have not met in person. This forum has to be one of the best in so many ways.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Sally: Hip surgery for you? A piece of cake for such a strong woman! My only advice is to follow the postop instructions to the letter and be careful about infections [everyone in contact w/ you for at least the first week washes hands].

You are one of my role models. I am praying and sending good messages your way.

HUGS, Susan

Are there any preop exercises that you can do to help your hip recovery go better?
                      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Linda,

I have had bunion surgery on both feet, at different times, along with hammertoe on one foot. This also takes time to heal. I would say that I did not walk correctly for a couple of months, but it does work.

Sally, good luck with your hip surgery. While I was in rehab, I had two roommates, both had hip replacements. They were able to walk better and for a further distance than I was. It seemed that getting in and out of bed and into a comfortable position was their most difficult task. Good luck to you. Looking forward to hearing that all went well.

Libby

Comment

Thank you all for your concern, hugs, thoughts, prayers and friendship. You are all the best of the best.
                          Jess, the disc above my fusion is deteriorating, L1L2. I am fused from L2 to S1. Status quo for now.
                          Susan, I am having my hip surgery before it gets desperate, so right now, my legs are pretty strong. I have had people say to me, "Don't wait too long"
                          I will keep you posted for sure.
                          Love, Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Tomorrow, July 3rd is my pretesting and my surgery is Monday July 8th as long as I pass my pretesting. I am looking forward to when this surgery is over with and let the anxiety be gone and the healing begin. As much as I know that this surgery is a piece of cake compared to back surgery, I still feel anxiety over it and haven't been sleeping well, but it will be soon over. Prayers for peace will be appreciated. God Bless each and every one of you and may you all be free of pain.
                            Love you guys!
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I hope all goes well and you can proceed.
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

Sally,

I hope that all goes well and that you can have your surgery

Melissa
                                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                                X