Sally's continuing saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sally,
    We are all happy to hear from you. Take it easy and you'll be feeling better soon. Hang in there.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Sally. It's good to hear from you and know all is progressing well. Hope it's not long before you can sit comfortably.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Sally

Glad to see your recovery is moving along ok....

We are interested in hearing about this surgery and its recovery.....but take your time and take care of yourself.

BTW, “The” hip pioneer’s name is Dr Jeffery Mast....he was the first in the US, and started these surgeries a few decades ago. I have a friend who worked with him here in Reno......

A little history from the 1970’s.....

http://www.maitrise-orthop.com/corpu..._mast_us.shtml

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks to all for your caring thoughts and concern. I think I am finally far enough in recovery that I can sit for more than five minutes at a time. It has been two weeks and one day now and I just D/C'd my pain meds. I know they are necessary for pain in the beginning, but they make me so nauseous and bind me up so much which also makes me nauseous. They also make me itch to the point that I feel like I could go mad, so there are many reasons to get rid of that stuff. I am still pretty weak and need naps every day, but am starting to feel a whole lot better. I will be seeing my Surgeon on Thursday and He will be removing my dressing and hopefully I will have a nice clean scar on my butt. Haha! There are no staples or stitches to be removed, just steri-strips holding me together. After two and a half weeks they should be completely healed.
          Take care everyone, Sally
          PS: Susie B - when I posted on facebook, I posted on my original thread, so I can see how you missed it.
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
            Thanks to all for your caring thoughts and concern. I think I am finally far enough in recovery that I can sit for more than five minutes at a time. It has been two weeks and one day now and I just D/C'd my pain meds. I know they are necessary for pain in the beginning, but they make me so nauseous and bind me up so much which also makes me nauseous. They also make me itch to the point that I feel like I could go mad, so there are many reasons to get rid of that stuff. I am still pretty weak and need naps every day, but am starting to feel a whole lot better. I will be seeing my Surgeon on Thursday and He will be removing my dressing and hopefully I will have a nice clean scar on my butt. Haha! There are no staples or stitches to be removed, just steri-strips holding me together. After two and a half weeks they should be completely healed.
            Take care everyone, Sally
            PS: Susie B - when I posted on facebook, I posted on my original thread, so I can see how you missed it.
            Great to hear that you are doing well. I knew that you would conquer this challenge like the others that you have faced. I recommend that you not take whatever medicine gives you pruritis or itching. While that may not technically be an allergy it is an "untoward response". I had the same response with codeine and oxycodone, but also had a fine red rash, so I have listed them as allergies. Someone gave me oxycodone after ankle surgery, and I spent the whole night in the hospital squirming scratching my back on the sheets as I itched so much. It was torture.

Do you use ice bags? That saved me pain meds.

Take care of yourself. Hate to say it, but we "older chickens" need a little longer to heal.

Hugs to you, Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thanks Susan, Yes, I do use ice bags and am taking tylenol as much as allowed. I am sore in the morning and still a little nauseous in the morning, but feel pretty good in the afternoons.
              Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

How far is the hospital from home? How did you travel home?

Melissa
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Sally--
                  Wonderful to hear that you are in recovery mode! We were worried. Take your time healing and best wishes for an uneventful recovery. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                    How far is the hospital from home? How did you travel home?

Melissa
                    Melissa, The hospital is about 13 miles from where we live and I just rode home in the car. We went in to see the Doctor today and he is very pleased with my progress. The bandage came off today and I asked why it had to stay on so long and he was surprised that it was still on. I told him that the visiting nurse called his office and someone told her not to take it off, that it would come off when I saw the Doctor. He wasn't too happy about that and apologized to me. At least there are no stitch marks or staple marks which makes me happy. I will start outside the home PT next week and that is located directly across the street from the hospital.
                    Melissa, I will try to call you today and if you don't hear from me, you can call me any time up until 10:00PM or 7:00Pm your time.
                    Take care everyone and thanks for thinking of me.
                    Sally

Comment

Glad to hear you're doing well, Sally! Enjoy those naps & rest easy. Sending you a gentle hug!

Comment

Thanks for speaking with me today. Glad that you are doing better
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Advice to anyone going into the hospital.

They say the best is yet to come! Who are they anyway?
                          I thought I should add the latest to my saga. Somewhere, somehow (I think the hospital) I picked up Clostridium Difficile. I have never been so sick in my entire life. I think I managed to get medical care in time to prevent permanant damage to my intestinal track. My Doctor put me on Vancomycin and I started to get better right away. Vanco in pretty specific for C. Diff so that is why my Doc is pretty sure of his diagnosis, but the stool culture came back negative for C. Diff. Anyway after two weeks on Vanco, I was feeling much better, but not perfect. Last week, I had a relapse, so now I am on two weeks course of Metronidazol. It's named C. Diff because it is difficult to get rid of. The ultimate cure - a poop transplant. Sounds like fun, huh? At least, there is hope out there for a cure.

When you are in the hospital for anything, make sure your nurse washes her or his hands in soap and water because, guess what folks, C. Diff is not killed with alcohol based hand washes. Only thorough hand washing and bleach will kill C. Diff.

Thanks for listening and I hope everyone is doing well. Between the site being down and being sick, I haven't been on here too much. Love to all, Sally

Comment

Sally

I know someone who went through this, fecal transplant.....and she is fine now.

I hear the Vancomycin is pricy stuff.....

Get better soon!

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Oh Sally your poor thing! I hope the meds do the trick!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

This is so scary. I hope you get better soon, Sally.
                                I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                                45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                                A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
                                X