Post surgery dvt prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post surgery dvt prevention

We are headed in for surgery this week and I wanted to know if anyone knows if it is standard practice to put teens in any blood thinning meds to prevent clots following surgery?

I never heard that.

I would think they would not want to use thinning agents because those might dispose patients towards bleeding.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

mmmm...i would check with child's surgeon...
      as Sharon mentioned, those are the very meds they warn
      patients not to take a week or so before surgery, due to bleeding...
      so i cannot imagine them wanting anyone to take them right after
      surgery....
      do you have particular worries about blood clots...??

jess

Comment

Not routine at all, and probably a little dangerous. If there's a specific medical reason to fear clots, the surgeon will usually have an IVC filter placed.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks everyone. Just finding that I am worrying about every detail and I had seen something about post surgical clot risk and it stated something about blood thinning meds. Wanted to be informed so I know what questions to ask!

Comment

Sequential compression devices are routinely used after this and many other surgeries to prevent DVT's. They are sleeves that wrap around each lower leg and the machine pumps air into them in a sequential fashion then deflates them. It is not unpleasant, and they are just worn for a few days until the patient is up and walking regularly.

PT will also come by and instruct your child in a few in-bed exercises which may include ankle circles, which help prevent DVT.

Best of luck,
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Some doctors might want teens that are on contraceptive pills to stop them before surgery as that may increase the chance for dvts. Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

When is surgery this week? Praying all the best for surgery and recovery, stay strong and keep us posted.

-C
                Mom to son with new straight spine 8/15/2013 T16, L16
                Pre op T65, L?
                diagnosed 2/21/13 T55, L42

Comment

Surgery was Monday. Thanks so much for your thoughts. It went well but evidently my son lost more blood than is usual for teens so he has been pretty weak. They sent us home anyway(i think a little too early). Now it's a balancing act between trying to control the pain and get him eating to bring up blood levels. Thanks again for you thoughts. Feel free to contact me with any questions the scoliosis journey is tough and i know hearing others experiences helped me prepare for what we might face. Good luck with everything!

Comment

Thanks for the update, hope his appetite and strength is improving. I have read that staying on top of the pain meds every 4 hours is key. Hope he is handling the meds okay with few side effects. He will rebound quickly, kids are amazing!

-C
                    Mom to son with new straight spine 8/15/2013 T16, L16
                    Pre op T65, L?
                    diagnosed 2/21/13 T55, L42

Comment

Working...
                    X