The SECRETS to bowel control post surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SECRETS to bowel control post surgery

I am one month post surgery and took great care not to be constipated. I actually went over to the diarrhea side for 2 days. I am taking Dilaudid 6 MGM every 3 hours since I was discharged from the hospital. I cut back on some of my stool softening meds and am finally more regular...but I don't want to become constipated. My stool softening tools are: Colace, prunes, Miralax, and Senocot ( think that I spelled it incorrectly, the brown one).

I know that I will be gradually decreasing pain meds over time, but would like suggestion on how to manage the stool softening meds to keep from going one way or the other.

Thanks, Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Susan

Bowel control is no secret around here. (smiley face) It’s an important part of recovery.

To be honest, I don’t think I had any digestive balance for at least 60 days after quitting my meds. I also lost my gall bladder, this complicated matters.

I was tapering down meds, going to the bathroom everyday, and still had major constipation at 6 weeks.
    In other words, the train was rolling, but not fast enough.....This was when I decided to quit since I built up an immunity to my meds and they were not working for pain.

After I quit, the pain dropped a few days later. I then started jamming nutrients through smoothies to gain my weight back. Healing was happening quickly at that stage.

Glad you are doing well Susan....

Hang in there

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I stayed on colace and Senokot for the entire time I took narcotics. I went home with a prescription for lactulose, which I used to supplement the other medications whenever things started building up.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

An apple at bedtime (in addition to what everyone else said) seems to help me.
        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Pear juice.

A funny story. I still had a large tin of pear juice in my fridge a year after surgery and one day my friend Carolyn came over to walk with me. It was very hot and we arrived back and the only cold drink in my fridge was the pear juice. We polished the lot off. It was delicious! I walked out to the road to wave her goodbye when I was struck with that urgency to get to the toilet. Then it clicked! I wondered how Carolyn's half hour drive home was going... Needless to say, she's never forgiven me. But we're still friends!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I had to stop the stool softeners with a few days of coming home from the hospital for the same reason. I made sure that I ate all the fiber I could. I started every morning with a glass of prune juice on an empty stomach, I'd have high-fiber cereal for breakfast, and I remember eating homemade 5-bean salad that my mother always had on hand for me every day at lunch (love that stuff!) I had no problem at all with the narcotics eating this way. Oh, and I can't forget, a few times my mom made me stewed prunes (don't laugh, LOL) that I would eat with plain yogurt.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              Pear juice.

A funny story. I still had a large tin of pear juice in my fridge a year after surgery and one day my friend Carolyn came over to walk with me. It was very hot and we arrived back and the only cold drink in my fridge was the pear juice. We polished the lot off. It was delicious! I walked out to the road to wave her goodbye when I was struck with that urgency to get to the toilet. Then it clicked! I wondered how Carolyn's half hour drive home was going... Needless to say, she's never forgiven me. But we're still friends!
              OMG Jen, that's so funny! Now that you mention it, I do remember pediatricians telling me to give my babies some pear juice when they were constipated. It always worked like a charm! Your poor friend!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Pear juice.

Jenn, you have to clean out the refrigerator more often. Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Debbei, when I was on narcotics, I alternated prune juice and pear juice. I went through many cans of it. It's nicer than prune juice and I think, just as effective. Prune juice warmed is nice and pear juice chilled. Not that I ever want to drink either again!

Susan, I hoped nobody would notice that part. <wink>
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Prune juice is bad

Well contradicting that prune juice is bad, I can sit and have 2-3 glasses because I just love the taste. However, I am very careful because it gives me gas (i.e. makes my tummy look larger than all the baby fat I am still carrying) and it makes noises.

I am about 5 months post op and been taking stool softener (Costco double pack deal) twice a day since the release from the hospital. Then, saw that the stool was coming a bit too soft so I cut it down to once a day. About a month ago, I had to take the Miralax twice. And, lately I have cut off the stool softner totally. I don't want to describe the sticky consistency but I am sure happy to have a bidet hose that my husband attached easily to the toilet hose.

The great thing about this hose (Amazon and other places) is that it reduces the twisting one needs to reach to clean-up. Instead of wiping yourself after using hte hose, you are just drying yourself (and sometimes the toilet seat if you spray the wrong way) Cold water does not shock your body at all and it beats using a lot more tp or having to wash your underwear.

It is great for women - trust me as it is a long cord. My husband wants a japanese toilet seat with heat and warm water. I asked if there is a brush that comes with it too because it has a blower - Just like a car wash. No, I nicked that toy.

You will find you level of tolerance if you constipate then go a bit the other way. Another tip is to get some panty liners and place them way back. It helps with small accidents.

gardenia
                    Gardenia
                    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
                    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
                    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
                    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
                      Well contradicting that prune juice is bad, I can sit and have 2-3 glasses because I just love the taste. However, I am very careful because it gives me gas (i.e. makes my tummy look larger than all the baby fat I am still carrying) and it makes noises.

I am about 5 months post op and been taking stool softener (Costco double pack deal) twice a day since the release from the hospital. Then, saw that the stool was coming a bit too soft so I cut it down to once a day. About a month ago, I had to take the Miralax twice. And, lately I have cut off the stool softner totally. I don't want to describe the sticky consistency but I am sure happy to have a bidet hose that my husband attached easily to the toilet hose.

The great thing about this hose (Amazon and other places) is that it reduces the twisting one needs to reach to clean-up. Instead of wiping yourself after using hte hose, you are just drying yourself (and sometimes the toilet seat if you spray the wrong way) Cold water does not shock your body at all and it beats using a lot more tp or having to wash your underwear.

It is great for women - trust me as it is a long cord. My husband wants a japanese toilet seat with heat and warm water. I asked if there is a brush that comes with it too because it has a blower - Just like a car wash. No, I nicked that toy.

You will find you level of tolerance if you constipate then go a bit the other way. Another tip is to get some panty liners and place them way back. It helps with small accidents.

gardenia
                      What's a Costco double pack?
                      Great suggestions! We may actually buy the Japanese bidet,brash, dry model. Susan

Comment

I cannot wait until we get into the new house. I will have a bidet
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Debbei, when I was on narcotics, I alternated prune juice and pear juice. I went through many cans of it. It's nicer than prune juice and I think, just as effective. Prune juice warmed is nice and pear juice chilled. Not that I ever want to drink either again!

Susan, I hoped nobody would notice that part. <wink>
                          Jen: funny story: my daughter was in middle school and came to me crying one night. She said that she had not done her science homework which was assigned 2 months before. She was supposed to put some juicy food in the back of the refrigerator and then a couple of months later, kids were supposed to bring in the old, decaying food and they were going to Look at the yeasts and mold under a microscope. I said, "no problem". We looked in the back of the refrigerator and there was some Tupperware that had some furry stuff growing on a food that could not be identified. I think that she got an A on that project!
                          Susan...from then on we talked about the "science projects" in the refrigerator

Comment

You girls are making me laugh. I'm glad this forum has a lighter side to it at times!
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Glad that this is entertaining. Sometimes you just need to get down to the basics.
                              Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

So, if you are squeemish about poo details, read no more cause i'm going to get graphic.

Glad to report that my urinary incontinence seems to be cured with time. I was wearing Sanitary pads and changing them many times a day.

Gardenia, thanks for the poop details. I was trying to figure out which of all of my treatments to prevent constipation caused farts and sticky poo. It's the prunes, huh? Bummer....I'll cut back on them. The Miralax also caused sticky poo and some diarrhea....not so much diarrhea but just little soft poos that came out every hour. Talk about a major wiping job! For the sticky ppos, I use those wet baby wipes on that extension stick. The wipes clog up the toilet, so I need to put them in the garbage. Stinky mess.

The Japanese toilet actually seems like a great deal. A friend of mine has one. It is expensive, but had a heated seat, warm spray, warm or cold air dry off. Forget toilet paper!

Jennifer, thanks for the pear juice details. I will buy some and give it a try.

Probably everyone is different, but it was helpful to me to learn other people's experience....if not entertaining.

I'll read up on Lactalose. Might be another bit of arsenal in my constipation tool box.

Yours in improving toilet habits, Susan
                              Last edited by susancook; 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X