No announcement yet.

The SECRETS to bowel control post surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susan-- I don't know, but you have certainly added a lot of entertainment to the forum. And I hope you find out. It is embarrassing... I've had certain times when I've had gas problems-- the iron supplements sure did that number on me, prior to the surgery-- at work, around my family. It was terrible. Best wishes, and keep up with the good questions.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

bingo

After much forethought which is kind of like foreplay, we finally had intimacy, alias sex. Thanks to someone off line, we figured out a position of comfort,safety for my back, yet it works. Since there are probably others who are in my situation of both partners being afraid of intimacy, I will gladly describe a position that worked for his benefit (we are still working on my pleasure, but that's another story. I started out lying on back, but that only lasted 2 minutes due to pain. So, I tried a side position and put a pillow behind my back and laid back, so sort of side/back lying. Then my husband kind of got at an opposite angle with his knee on my abdomen sort of bent. He did initially straight, but that was too much weight on my abdomen chest. He did all of the work and there was no kissing in this position, but it worked. Also, I could not touch him sexually during sex , although we did that in foreplay. I remember having both legs bent. I hope that this was helpful. I am sorry if I could not exactly remember the exact position, but I was focusing on intimacy while trying to take notes.
      Susan
      I will look up the word "intimacy" for other suggestion, especially from people that can better describe positions.
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I know it wasn't meant for hilarity but this thread has given me some good laughs! I'm sorry I have no advice. I didn't seem to have these problems but then, I didn't even think about sex for, not sure now, must have been months!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
          I know it wasn't meant for hilarity but this thread has given me some good laughs! I'm sorry I have no advice. I didn't seem to have these problems but then, I didn't even think about sex for, not sure now, must have been months!
          Good laughs would have been if I had included pictures with my step by step description! Two senior citizens going at it!
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Stop! Stop! I think I just peed my pants from laughter! It is a topic that we all deal with no matter the levels of fusion. But only on here can we truly be open and understand (no matter the age) the true struggle with intimacy and laugh at ourselves. Thanks guys and Susan for the added tips.

(Big smiles!!!)
            Tamena
            Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
              Good laughs would have been if I had included pictures with my step by step description! Two senior citizens going at it!
              Susan
              Susan, you crack me up!!! It's like comedy central here :-)
              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I have not learned to post pictures yet, thus nobody has seen my hardware or ugly prep pictures. Some day I will go to a senior citizen class and learn to post pictures. Then the laughs will really begin!
                Susan

Comment

Susan,
                  Are you a milk drinker. I am lactose intolerant and since I stopped drinking milk with the exception of lactaid milk, I no longer have smelly farts.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                    Susan,
                    Are you a milk drinker. I am lactose intolerant and since I stopped drinking milk with the exception of lactaid milk, I no longer have smelly farts.
                    Sally
                    That's an idea, but I did not have this problem on a multi daily event basis until the surgery and all of the meds.
                    Susan

Comment

Intimacy and Back Pain

My PT gave me a handout on intimacy [alias sex, but sounds most sophisticated], and back pain. It shows very explicit pictures and has text with information. It was from a manual that he had. So, if anyone wants a copy, I will mail it to you [send me a PM].
                      Susan

Comment

Found it!

Ah-ha . . . I KNEW there was a thread on poo! I've added pear juice, colace, & grape nuts cereal to my grocery list. I already do stool softeners & miralax, but need more help!
                        Peg
                        61 yrs old
                        75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                        T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                        Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Mag citrate will do wonders.

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
                            Mag citrate will do wonders.
                            I hope to avoid using that ever, again! Of course, I mixed it with 2 T Milk of Magnesia & 1 T of mineral oil. That was the cocktail my husband's dr recommended b/f surgery. Maybe by itself . . .

How are you Tamena?
                            Peg
                            61 yrs old
                            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

If you're going to go the fruit juice route, warm some prune juice and alternate warm prune with chilled pear. If you want to bring in the big guns (as I needed, after 9 days) try Nulax. It worked in 3 hours for me. A little too well, but that's another story.

http://www.nu-lax.com/leaflet/leaflet1.htm
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                                I hope to avoid using that ever, again! Of course, I mixed it with 2 T Milk of Magnesia & 1 T of mineral oil. That was the cocktail my husband's dr recommended b/f surgery. Maybe by itself . . .

How are you Tamena?
                                Hey Peg! For the most part I am doing good. I did have an iv blow so I'm dealing with the pain and inflamation in my right hand/wrist. But it is slowly getting better.

I am drowsy off and on. In fact I think I dosed off trying to write right now. Will write more later.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Working...
                                X