Baclofen Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baclofen Pump

For treatment of stifness in back muscles?

Yes, a baclofen pump can be used for certain disorders. I'm not sure if scoliotic muscles spasm is one of them. I know they can also put morphine or another narcotic in the pump for back pain. The spine has to be stable for this procedure. It was offered to me at one time. They didn't suggest putting the baclofen in it, but I'm going to ask about it on Monday when I have my appointment for Botox injection. I don't know if this would be a better alternative for me or not. I will let you know what they say. If I remember correctly you are already fused, correct?

I know my former anesthesiologist told me that he put a morphine pump in a young girl that had already been fused. He was frustrated because he couldn't put the catheter where he wanted it because he couldn't get past the bone mass. He ended up putting it lower than he wanted and she didn't end up getting total pain relief.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Thanks for inquiring on my behalf

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      Yes, a baclofen pump can be used for certain disorders. I'm not sure if scoliotic muscles spasm is one of them. I know they can also put morphine or another narcotic in the pump for back pain. The spine has to be stable for this procedure. It was offered to me at one time. They didn't suggest putting the baclofen in it, but I'm going to ask about it on Monday when I have my appointment for Botox injection. I don't know if this would be a better alternative for me or not. I will let you know what they say. If I remember correctly you are already fused, correct?

I know my former anesthesiologist told me that he put a morphine pump in a young girl that had already been fused. He was frustrated because he couldn't put the catheter where he wanted it because he couldn't get past the bone mass. He ended up putting it lower than he wanted and she didn't end up getting total pain relief.

I'm fused T4-L1.

Comment

Where is your pain? Is your problem muscle spasm or pain. They can put whatever you need in there, whether it be a muscle relaxant, like baclofen, or a pain killer, like morphine. I'm so sorry you are miserable. I wish we could all be in that group of scolis that seem to live a normal pain free life without surgery or drugs. I'd ask your doctor about it. I'd think that you would get the best answer if you see an anesthesiologist at a pain center. I hope you get to feeling better.
        Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Grrrr... I went to the doctor today and forgot to ask him about the pump. I wanted to talk about so many things that I just forgot. I'm sorry. I wanted to ask for me, too. I'm undecided if I would rather have a pump or take oral meds. With the pump there's very little drug that gets circulated through your body so there aren't the side effects. The drawback is that it is a mechanical device implanted into your body with a catheter implanted right next to your spinal cord. There's risk for infection and I think dural tears (I could be wrong about that). Plus you have to go in every so often and get that pump refilled via a needle through your skin into the pump, wherever it's placed.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
          X