Thread: Copes Method,Quackery?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Copes Method,Quackery?

I was looking for something else when I came upon a web site for info on dubious methods of medical treatment. One of the methods being investigated is the Copes Method. They are looking for persons who have experience, positive or negative with the program.

http://www.quackwatch.org/

http://www.quackwatch.org/search/we...amp;query=Copes

Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Talking Copes treatment closed

Here is a recent excerpt from Quackwatch:Proprietor of dubious scoliosis clinic charged with insurance fraud.

Arthur L. Copes, who has owned and operated the Scoliosis Treatment Recovery System Clinic in Baton Rouge, Louisiana for many years, has been arrested on 117 counts of insurance fraud for his alleged involvement in a medical billing insurance scam and for practicing medicine without a license. Copes has developed a back brace and treatment system that he claims is successful in the treatment of scoliosis. Attorney General Special Agents who investigated Copes's activities have alleged:

Even though Copes performed all of the treatment, he submitted numerous bills to insurance companies using the names and signatures of licensed chiropractors, without their knowledge and in many cases long after they had left the clinic.

Patients were charged a large sum of money, up to $10,000 in one case, and advised that their insurance company would cover a certain percentage of the cost of the treatment. The insurance companies were fraudulently billed more than $138,000 [1].

The clinic is now closed. If convicted, Copes faces a possible sentence of five years and/or a $5,000 fine per count on the charges of insurance fraud. The possible sentence for practicing medicine without a license includes a fine not more than $3,000 or prison for not more than three months, or both, and each day a violation continues is considered a separate offense. The Louisiana Attorney General has invited people with relevant information to contact his office at 1-800-256-4506. [Owner of Scoliosis Treatment Recovery System in Baton Rouge surrenders to Attorney General Special Agents. Louisiana Attorney General news release, Feb 23, 2006] http://www.ag.state.la.us/ViewPressRel.aspx?RelID=449 Copes, who refers to himself as "Dr. Copes," has a Ph.D. in orthotics from nonaccredited Columbia Pacific University, which was closed by court order in 2001. Barrett S. Court orders Columbia Pacific University to cease operating illegally in California. Quackwatch, revised, Feb 26, 2006] http://www.quackwatch.org/04Consumer.../News/cpu.html Copes's Scoliosis Treatment Advanced Recovery System ("STARS") is less effective and far more expensive than standard methods of scoliosis treatment. [Barrett S. "Dr." Arthur Copes arrested for insurance fraud. Quackwatch, Feb 27, 2006] http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/copes.html

###
    I wonder how many gullible scoliosis patients were taken in by this.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

wow! I'm glad someone caught that dude because it's so sick to take advantage of people like that! I've heard of a few people on the scoliosis-support forum using copes and like no one was happy with the results, it definetly sounds like a scam.
    ~Leelee ♪
    [-] 17 years old
    _[-] 12th grade
    [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
    _[-] kyphosis, 67*
    [-] Boston brace for 4 years
    _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

As you may know, this is something which I've been following closely for years. (I was the one who sent the arrest info to QuackWatch).

I know of at least a few patients who paid more than $20,000 in braces, nutritional supplements, electrical stimulation treatments, chiropractic treatments, etc.

--Linda

Last year I had gone so far as to contact their office and had them send me an information packet. I was on the verge of seeking a consultation because I was desperately hoping that my son's scoli could be corrected without surgery. I asked for input on this procedure on this forum and was cautioned by Linda and for that I have to say THANK YOU for helping me and others to not be taken advantage of by an unscrupulous person. Keep up the good work!

Renee