Thread: Idiopathic scoliosis & alcohol during pregnancy

Idiopathic scoliosis & alcohol during pregnancy

I have heard the theory years ago, that one of the suspected causes of Idiopathic Scoliosis is excessive drinking during pregnancy.
    We all know that a mother to be can damage her fetus in many ways if she drinks excessively during her pregnancy.
    I have heard that this is one suspected (but not proven) cause of scoliosis. My mother is an alcoholic, so this theory tends to make sense to me.

I am just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this theory? Does anyone know where I can find more information about it?

Thanks!
    Jenni

Jenni...

I've heard that one of the consequences of fetal alcohol syndrome can be scoliosis. But I believe this would be classified as congenital scoliosis, however, because it's caused by some bony abnormality.

Regards,
    Linda

I was diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis though - perhaps it is difficult to tell the difference sometimes?

In any case, I will try looking up more info on fetal alcohol syndrome, thank you.

Jenni Lee...

Since scoliosis appears in about 10% of the general population, it would also presumably appear in 10% of the children of mother's who drink alcohol. There is probably no relationship.

Regards,
    Linda