Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My appt. with Dr. Lenke!! April 18th!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linda,

A lot of people are thinking and carrying about you, I am one of them. Dr. Lenke will not leave you, he'll help you - you have only one week left to wait. It is scary and depressing, but I hope you'll feel better in a week. Best of luck with your appointment!

Irina.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Linda,

I know it doesn't seem like this now, but when all is said and done this will just seem like one long recovery with a glitch along the way. Dr. Lenke will fix it. And better that you figured it out now than wait a year or two and have to start over. I have confidence that you are going to come out of this stronger than ever!

Best,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Linda,
        I know you are feeling pain now as well as being fearful of your outcome, but Dr. Lenke will take care of you. I know this will all work out and you will see the light at end of the tunnel. The tunnel may be a little longer, but you will get there. I think you will feel so much better once you see Dr. Lenke and know what course of action he will take. Hang in there! My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

As everyone else has said, Dr Lenke will not leave you .

Several months from now, you will look back at this incident and see how far you will have come
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thank-you ALL for you encouraging words. I am hanging on every single thing you're telling me. And in my heart I know you are all right. It helps so much to hear from people that have been through this or are even struggling right now and those that are in recovery right now. Bless all of you!! For all of us that have gone through one of these huge surgeries, we belong to a unique club. Those that haven't been through this couldn't imagine the feelings that recovery brings. So thank the good Lord there is a place like this to come to.
            One more thing~~~I am having these most disturbing feelings in my middle to upper back. It's almost like someone is squeezing my back with their hand as hard as they can. And that isn't really a good way of describing it. But you kind of get my drift. I think someone was describing it one day as a bear claw squeezing their back. Anyway, if I lay down for a while,it will go away. I tried a muscle relaxer, and I think it helped, but made me really tired. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone, Linda
            Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
            Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
            This started adult onset scoliosis
            July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
            Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
            May 30th 2013 revision
            May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
            May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
              Thank-you ALL for you encouraging words. I am hanging on every single thing you're telling me. And in my heart I know you are all right. It helps so much to hear from people that have been through this or are even struggling right now and those that are in recovery right now. Bless all of you!! For all of us that have gone through one of these huge surgeries, we belong to a unique club. Those that haven't been through this couldn't imagine the feelings that recovery brings. So thank the good Lord there is a place like this to come to.
              One more thing~~~I am having these most disturbing feelings in my middle to upper back. It's almost like someone is squeezing my back with their hand as hard as they can. And that isn't really a good way of describing it. But you kind of get my drift. I think someone was describing it one day as a bear claw squeezing their back. Anyway, if I lay down for a while,it will go away. I tried a muscle relaxer, and I think it helped, but made me really tired. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone, Linda
              Linda,

I have that bear claw feeling as well. Muscle relaxants do help. The only one that does not put me to sleep is Robaxin.

Good luck
              Melissa

Comment

Linda,
                I used Flexeril for that feeling for a long time. Eventually they quit prescribing it, so I had to tough it out. I have found that exercise (walking) reduces that feeling--which I have to assume is muscle spasms. But I know you can't do much of that right now. But don't worry, I think that feeling will lessen with time and activity once you get this broken rod thing figured out.

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                  Hi Susan. Hope this note finds you healing well and in good spirit. I had a not so good night last night. I am having pain in my right hip(butt)although it was the left side rod that I broke. I didn't wear a brace after surgery. I am thinking that Dr. Lenke will have to do surgery and I mean a pretty good revision surgery. I say that because of the wayI am pitching to the right and then forward a little bit. Enough that it makes me have to use some strength to pull myself up. I feel like crying a lot of the time. I never feel that way, EVER!! But this has really got me down. I should be ashamed of myself for feeling sorry for me! I had so many plans and I'm so afraid, (and I don't know why) that the good Dr. will leave me this way. Why do I feel that way. Where is that fear coming from. I think It's because I fell and messed up his art work. How screwed up is That thinking? I know he's a compassionate man. So I need to settle down. All of us on this web site have been through many lumps and bumps! Some more than others, but still the same, it's all stressful. You are amazing the way you're healing after a huge surgery. I am so proud of you, and happy for you. Just keep up the good work. I read your last post yesterday, and was surprised at how well you sound! I just want you to know that just writing this makes me feel better. Thanks for letting me vent. I will survive, I promise you that. My faith and this website are two very important blessings! I will keep you in my prayers and all the rest of our scoli's that are struggling to have a normal life. Warmly, Linda
                  Linda,
                  I cannot believe how we have been on a parallel course. Keep your chin up. Things will be okay. When I broke my rods I had so much pain and started to pitch to the left. I could barely walk. My emotions were up and down during that period of time when I waited for my surgeon to evaluate and fix my back, again. I too, felt that it was my fault although I had done nothing to cause the rods to break. And I was afraid my surgeon would be mad...nothing was further from the truth. These are irrational thoughts. My doctor was able to fix me and I am doing well. I know Dr Lenke will be able to help you. You will get through this. You have been through so much and my prayers are with you.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

don't know if you have access to it from a doctor, like a pain doctor,
                    but botox injections are excellent for muscle spasms, as it prevents muscles from
                    moving at all...
                    hope you feel better....i am sure that Dr Lenke can offer help on April 18th, which is almost here...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                      Susan, you are cracking me up. You should be a writer.

Usually, Dr. Lenke doesn't have patients wear braces. Don't know about Linda specifically.
                      I just saw this posting as I am newly postoperative and sleep a lot. I really don't know which doctors have people wear braces, I just know about 2 doctors from my personal experience and visiting 2 doctors, both of whom use braces. I jus re-read the end of this blog and traced back my message and my conclusion that maybe her doctor had given her a brace and that she did not wear it. This actually happened to me, I was immediately postoperative in the ICU and had urinary incontinence and had not been fitted for my brace yet. I rang my call bell repeatedly as I urinated in the bed for help, and finally when nobody came to help me after 30 minutes, I did get up to the bedside commode and almost fell. At that moment, I was very scared that if I did fall, that I would have undone all of the good that my doctor had spent 2 surgeries to do. Later in this blog, Linda mentioned that she didn't know why she felt that she had disappointed her doctor. Now, I better understand her situation. .....I just reread what I have written here and maybe the Dilaudid is kicking in and this doesn't make any sense.

And yes, I am very funny! Susan
                      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I'm back !! Not as bad as I thought!!!

Hi,
                        I am back from seeing Dr. Lenke. After he looked at a "full body x-ray" he was able to get a better picture of things. I do have a fracture in the rod at and around L4/5,S/1 on the left side. It is putting more pressure on the iliac screw on my right side. Thus there is some bad pain at times. But all screws are in place and I am standing straight according to x-rays. Nothing has moved. So he wants me to be very careful for the next few months and give myself more time to fuse. He says if I feel like I'm leaning it's more likely when I'm tired(so true!) and I need to rest when I get that way. He was so nice. And naptown78, you were right about him being upset cause I fell, it was just the opposite. He was sympathetic to the what happened and told me he was there to help me when things like this happen. A persons mind can go completely bonkers at times of stress like this, as I thought he would be upset with me. I was relieved when I left. He said after two years he will consider removing the iliac screw if it is still bothering me bad. If I watch how I sit and lay ,it is alright. I do have pain meds. He just doesn't want to do surgery on me right now. He has triple rods in the pelvic area, and a cage. So I am happy with what he said and I think the pain is better because I mentally had myself convinced it was worse than it is. Hmmm? Yikes! I am so glad I have you people . And everything you said was pretty much on the mark! Thank-you again for being here to help get me through yet another dilemma. I just need to be careful as it's race against time in which will win (the fusing first or a rod breaking)this does happen at times,although mine was a falling down break. If any of this didn't make sense to you, please feel free to ask me about it. I'm now going to breath a sigh of relief and take a nap. Warm thought to all of you~~~ Linda
                        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                        This started adult onset scoliosis
                        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                        May 30th 2013 revision
                        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

I am so happy to read your report from your appointment with Dr. Lenke. I am sure you are relieved that he doesn't have to do another surgery and that the screws are holding tightly. Thank goodness! I knew he would not be upset with you as you certainly didn't fall on purpose. He is not only an excellent surgeon but a kind and caring man.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I am glad that all went well with your appt.
                            Melissa

Comment

Happy for you!
                              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

good news, Linda
                                glad you can exhale now!

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Working...
                                X