Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My appt. with Dr. Lenke!! April 18th!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linda-- hope all goes well today-- you're in my prayers. Hopefully the tube can come out. I wore a brace for 5 months-- and at first it didn't fit right, but fortunately we were able to take care of that before we got out of Chicago as I, too, live in the sticks... Don't worry too much about the muscles. Yes, they atrophy, but it's just one more little hurdle. You wean off your brace, taking it off for a certain amount each day (a few hours off, then back on, then off again, building more each week till you're not wearing it at all) to build up strength because otherwise your back gets very tired. At least that's the way they had me do it. It took a month. Not bad in the whole scheme of things. Bless you for all you've been through. You're one tough cookie!
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-01-2013, 06:56 AM.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I'm back from Sioux Falls, S.D.

Hi all,
      Well the first appt. was disappointing. All they did was put some dye in my gall bladder to see it is working right. Can't tell you what the answer is to that, as they said they would call me. They left the tube in and bag. There are gall stones in the bile duct and they will sett an appt. up to go in to remove them. It will be a little different process as my bile ducts are in a position different than most, as a surgeon in 2003 removed an ulcer and rerouted my bile ducts. So they're hard to reach. Nothing is easy with me. Mostly complicated. It's kinda like I must have nine lives, and I'm scared to figure out where I'm at on that. Yikes!
      Good news is my brace is fixed and I have it on as I speak. It's quite a contraption. But I will do this for as long as Dr. Lenke wants me to. He is such a good surgeon and I so want this to fuse. I actually am fused on the upper part of my back to the middle. It's the lower part that wasn't fused. And I'm sure that's because I hit hard on my rump when I fell and shattered everything. Darn! That will not happen again. I just wish this gall bladder thing wouldn't have happened. I have to flush the tube everyday, clean the opening into my tummy and put new bandages on. It's time consuming. And scary, as I don't want any infection. The sooner they get this done the better. The wheels turn slow in the world of medicine.
      Well, I am exhausted after yesterday, so nap time. I still haven't found anyone to clean the house. It's the Pitts as my hubby is terribly busy in the field this time of year. Hugs to all, Linda
      Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
      Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
      This started adult onset scoliosis
      July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
      Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
      May 30th 2013 revision
      May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
      May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Glad that the brace problem has been solved.

Now for the Gall Bladder

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Linda, Re: the brace, I change my tee shirt twice a day as it becomes quite sweaty. Glad that you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. On to Gallbladder! Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I ,also, change my shirt twice a day wearing the brace.
            Melissa

Comment

Linda--
              Glad your brace is fixed and hope it does its job! Hope the gall bladder thing gets worked out soon. You've had a long few months. Prayers for this to be the beginning of much better things. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Gel Foam Bed! Help!

Another dilemma! My husband invested in a Gel Bed , thinking it would be perfect for me. It's been three weeks now, and I can't sleep in it. I sink down the most in my lower buttocks area. I feel horrible in the mornings, and so I slept on my two inch memory foam bed the last two night and feel so much better. The place we bought the Gel Bed from won't take it back. Isn't that a kicker! ($4,500). Oh well, it's just money. But what a shame. I actually think it's bad for my spine, cause it bends my spine! Darn!! Just had to share and wondering if anyone else has had this problem? If I use a pillow it bends my neck really bad. I like a pillow under my head! Just not good all the way around. I still haven't heard when my gall stone surgery is. Meanwhile I clean the tubing everyday where it enters into my tummy. Am so afraid of infection.
                My back seems fine. I walk fine, except for the super bunions on my feet ~~~ that's another surgery! My left big toe is actually flipped over the top of my second toe. And my right one is staring to get that way. Big toe's have a lot to do with balance,so I really have to have good supporting shoes. No flip flops for me.
                I think I'v complained enough today! But you guys are the only ones that could possibly understand these dilemma's. hope everyone has a good spinal day!! And those still healing~~ a good healing day. God Bless you all, Linda
                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Linda,

You are not complaining. If you cannot talk to us, then who could you ? We ,of all people, understands what you are going through.

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

Linda,

If you paid for the bed with credit card, they may be able to help you with a product that doesn't meet your needs/expectations. It may be worth a phone call.

Comment

• Two thoughts:

First, sometimes mattress stores will let you exchange, especially if you are buying something more expensive (Tempurpedic?).

2. Your tastes in mattresses may change several times over the next year. Mine did. Early on I was fine with memory foam. Then when I dropped the pain meds I had to add all kinds of padding (latex foam and feather bed). Then gradually I took that stuff off. Now finally I prefer memory foam again, but seem to be able to sleep on most anything. Bottom line: if you can't take it back don't fret, you may end up liking it eventually.
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                        Linda,

You are not complaining. If you cannot talk to us, then who could you ? We ,of all people, understands what you are going through.

Melissa
                        Melissa, I know that what you say is true, but it's nice to hear it straight from someone that has
                        definitely seen and been through a lot! Thanks for the comforting words. Best wishes on your recovery!
                        Linda
                        May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

• Thinking of you, Linda, and hoping that you feel better and better each day. You have been through so much!
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Gall Bladder is gone!

Hi All, thanks for all your kind words! I have been in Sioux Falls, So. Dak. all week. First they removed the gall stones from my bile ducts, then they removed my gall bladder. No more drain tube! But I am really wore out! I am terribly bloated. It was done laprascopaclly. So I thought it was going to be less painful. But I think with recovery with the back and all, it's a little harder than normal would be. But I am glad to get rid of the tubing and glad it's over! My back is doing good. Anyway, I think it is. I am still straight as can be.
                            I am grateful I have a bunch of great people on this web site that can relate to, if not all, some of what's been going on in my life. Hugs to all, Linda
                            May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

• I had my gallbladder out laparoscopically before spine surgery. The bloating was the worst part. I think they actually inflate your abdomen (or lungs maybe?? can't remember which) to do the surgery, so then you've got gas trapped in there for a while. I remember my shoulders hurting from the gas! Anyway, I felt much better after a few days and almost completely healed in two weeks. I do not envy you recovering from two surgeries as once, but I am confident you will feel much better in a couple of weeks. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• I am glad that your gall bladder surgery is over and you are recovering

Hope you start to feel better soon

Melissa
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X