Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My appt. with Dr. Lenke!! April 18th!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
    Hi,
    I am back from seeing Dr. Lenke. After he looked at a "full body x-ray" he was able to get a better picture of things. I do have a fracture in the rod at and around L4/5,S/1 on the left side. It is putting more pressure on the iliac screw on my right side. Thus there is some bad pain at times. But all screws are in place and I am standing straight according to x-rays. Nothing has moved. So he wants me to be very careful for the next few months and give myself more time to fuse. He says if I feel like I'm leaning it's more likely when I'm tired(so true!) and I need to rest when I get that way. He was so nice. And naptown78, you were right about him being upset cause I fell, it was just the opposite. He was sympathetic to the what happened and told me he was there to help me when things like this happen. A persons mind can go completely bonkers at times of stress like this, as I thought he would be upset with me. I was relieved when I left. He said after two years he will consider removing the iliac screw if it is still bothering me bad. If I watch how I sit and lay ,it is alright. I do have pain meds. He just doesn't want to do surgery on me right now. He has triple rods in the pelvic area, and a cage. So I am happy with what he said and I think the pain is better because I mentally had myself convinced it was worse than it is. Hmmm? Yikes! I am so glad I have you people . And everything you said was pretty much on the mark! Thank-you again for being here to help get me through yet another dilemma. I just need to be careful as it's race against time in which will win (the fusing first or a rod breaking)this does happen at times,although mine was a falling down break. If any of this didn't make sense to you, please feel free to ask me about it. I'm now going to breath a sigh of relief and take a nap. Warm thought to all of you~~~ Linda
    So glad to hear your good news! "A race against time". You could have pulled those words from my surgeon's mouth. That is exactly what he told me...
    Hope you are feeling better physically and emotionally.
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
      I am so happy to read your report from your appointment with Dr. Lenke. I am sure you are relieved that he doesn't have to do another surgery and that the screws are holding tightly. Thank goodness! I knew he would not be upset with you as you certainly didn't fall on purpose. He is not only an excellent surgeon but a kind and caring man.
      Karen, you are so right about him being a kind and caring person. His whole idea is for me to get farther along ,so if he would have to go in, I would be healed up more .I can take this kind of pain. It isn't t like before my surgery. I just have to be a bit careful how I lay on my right side where the big screw is. Not a problem as long as I know in the end I will be fine. I get to see my son and family on this trip. So it's a bonus. Hope you are well and the weather is behaving. ( for golfing)! It has been terrible in So.Dak. Warmly,Linda
      Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
      Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
      This started adult onset scoliosis
      July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
      Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
      May 30th 2013 revision
      May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
      May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Linda,

Glad to hear it! Hey, take your calcium & Vit D and avoid caffeine and carbonation. These things could possibly help you fuse faster! Good nutrition is VERY important.

Also, don't be stupid like me and sit in really awkward positions that stress your hip/sacrum. But you know all this already. I guess I'm just trying to say be careful, and I think you can win the race!

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
          Linda,

Glad to hear it! Hey, take your calcium & Vit D and avoid caffeine and carbonation. These things could possibly help you fuse faster! Good nutrition is VERY important.

Also, don't be stupid like me and sit in really awkward positions that stress your hip/sacrum. But you know all this already. I guess I'm just trying to say be careful, and I think you can win the race!

Evelyn
          Evelyn, Thank-you so much for your very good advice. I need reminded to be VERY careful! You know it's so easy to become complacent when we start to feel better. I am going to have pain if I don't remember to sit right and lay right. As the right iliac screw is now taking on more stress because of the left rod in the S/1 area being fractured. I did start Forteo not long ago. I had taken it for 10mo. in 2012, then took a break, as it has some side effects. But I decided to start it again. And I will be faithful with my calcium & vit.D.
          Warmly, Linda
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

I"m so glad that you aren't as bad as you feared. Listen to the Dr.'s advice and rest when you need it. I know it's easy to fall, I've done a few myself. It can just happen so fast in a blink of an eye. Wrap yourself in bubblewrap for a while.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              Linda... it's fine to have multiple threads, although I actually think it's better to just keep posting to the same thread (like Melissa has done). That way, new people who want to learn about your journey can find all your posts.

--Linda
              Hi Linda, I guess you were right when you said that Dr. Lenke may not do anything, and just leave the rod alone.. He wants me to fuse more and try to be very careful not to overdo anything. I am going to have to put up with some pain, as the left broken rod (L4/5 S/1)has caused to put more pressure on my right iliac screw. I may have to use my pain meds. longer. Ugh! Thanks for your help! I think it was sooo much easier to see what was going on with a full body x-ray. Warmly, Linda
              May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                He says if I feel like I'm leaning it's more likely when I'm tired(so true!) and I need to rest when I get that way.
                This almost sounds like this is coming from one of us....Dr Lenke has quite an understanding of what we go through.....

Its always nice to know exactly whats wrong when we are in trouble.....I'm glad that this had been sorted out for you Linda. Keep healing!

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Linda--
                  So glad you got things sorted out and got to see Dr. Lenke. Once you know what's going on I think you can mentally relax and the pain does subside some. Be sure to rest as much as possible! Best of luck. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Linda, I am so relieved that you are ok for now and need to see how much just healing will do for you. You had some bad experiences with previous surgeons, but now with Dr. Lenke on your side, you are on the way to being so much more active than you were before. Who knows where your worry came from about him being angry with you, but nobody on the blog thought that he would be anything but sympathetic and supportive. I am continually amazed at your strength after all you have been through in your previous surgeries. Relax and give yourself some credit! Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Linda,
                      In one of your posts, you mentioned being careful when laying on your side. I may have been ridiculously paranoid, but I didn't sleep on either side until I was a year post op. I think I was afraid of twisting when I was 1/2 asleep. I was never one to sleep on my back the entire night, but I learned to get used to it. Even now at 2 years post op, if I sleep on one side I make sure I sleep on the other side as well. I guess I keep thinking that I will become lopsided again if I favor one side. There is probably no harm in sleeping on your side, but I just felt like I could do less harm on my back.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Surgery again!

Hi all, I am posting because I just got back from St. Louis again. I was there a month ago if you remember. And I thought I could live with the broken rod. But guess what! I fell again! I landed on my right knee and I must have jiolted things pretty good. That iliac screw was moved and hit a nerve that sent me to the emergency room. They did an X-ray and sent it to Lenke and he wanted to see me and do his own X-rays..
                        So we went to St. Louis and after he looked at it , he said we needed to go back into surgery. He is going to do a revision from T12 down to my pelvis. New rods and more reinforcments. The surgery is the 31st of May. (Two weeks). I am so thankful for him. He's so nice and I trust him very much. I just need to do my part. Sounds like this surgery will only be a four to five hr. surgery. Hope recovery is a little easier. Well, that's about it guys. I need your prayers and as always your support. I will survive this as that's what we do best is SURVIVE~~~Blessing to you all, Linda
                        May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

I'm so sorry about this most recent turn of events, but you sound so positive and you have that all important trust in your surgeon, that I know you're going to come through this and have the future you've been looking forward to, for so long. Best of luck Boomer!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am sorry that this has happened to you but happy that you are going to get relief.

I will keep you in my prayers

Melissa
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Same here, Linda. Here you go again, but this time it should be the last time. Dr. Lenke sounds like he is so caring and knows just how to make you feel at ease. I'll be praying.
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Linda,
                                I am so sorry for this recent turn of events. I hope this revision surgery will be the last and that you will be pain free. How on earth did you manage to fall again? I feel so bad for you. You have been to hell and back and now this. Prayers coming your way along with gentle hugs.
                                Sally
                                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                                X