No announcement yet.

Neck problems above fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking forward to your update Ed....I hope things went well today.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
      Rohrer, They have been doing cervical discs at least for four years now. A high school classmate of mine living in the Charleston, SC area sent me a newspaper article about it being done experimentally in Charleston. I don't see why it couldn't be done on scoliotics as long as their fusion is balanced.
      Ed, I use a very soft pillow, a synthetic down pillow that I can shape under my neck for support. I used to use a down pillow until a lot of the down managed to work itself out of the ticking and made a mess when I changed the pillow case. My trip to Cape Cod two years ago triggered much neck pain because I forgot my pillow and slept on a very firm bed with a hard pillow. I hope you get relief very soon.
      Sally
      If they've been doing it for four years, why is it experimental? Also, I meant using artificial discs in place of fusion. Doing something like reshaping the vertebrae and sticking a fake disc in there that was preset not to allow the curve to return. This would still give people some flexibility.

Ed, I hope your lack of response is a good thing and not a bad thing. Let us know.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

rohr...every surgeon i asked...and i asked a lot of top ones...
        about something flexible that would support the spine....they
        all said there is nothing flexible that CAN support the spine...
        my husband is convinced that something along those lines will
        be developed one day...but i am sure not in my lifetime...
        i think 50 years from now there will be a new material, maybe,
        that can both support AND give flexibility....
        and if the world is still here 100 years form now, maybe
        replacement spines will be developed...like replacement hips.
        i mean, replacement knees can bend...why not a spine?
        someday. and that would take care of fusing the neck, too.

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Ahhhh.....The suspense! No, Ti-Ed is not dying yet.....

Well....After x-rays, It looks like my C5-6 and C6-7 is showing signs of degeneration. (I knew that was coming) An MRI was ordered, should probably do that within the next few days and in the meanwhile, I’m taking the following.....and keeping notes of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylprednisolone
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltarin Diclofenac
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurontin Gabapentin

After the MRI’s my doc will know more....

We talked about fusing if need be.......it would be from the front, and most likely the 2 levels mentioned above. Full discectomies, with peek cages using synthetic bone pastes.

If the above medications don’t work, next course of action would be shots in the neck.

I was just checking to see if there were any “Tombstone” fans
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombstone_(film)

Wyatt Earp’s wife Mattie Blaylock was “dependent”on Laudanum....and eventually overdosed from it. It was the “cure all” in the wild west back in the 1800’s.

I have read over the years of many here that have taken gabapentin and wondered about it.....I guess I will find out here very shortly.....

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed, I hope that you get some relief soon.
            Pain is not fun

Melissa
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

hey Ed
              how long are you on the oral steroid...?????????

i hope it calms down the pain...along with the other meds...
              and i hope surgery does not become necessary...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

6 days

6 pills today, 5 Thurs, 4 Fri, 3 Sat, 2 Sun, 1 Monday....

The gab reduced some of the arm pain last night......slept 8 hrs

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  6 days

Ed
                  The steroid should help quite a bit with the inflammation, but watch out for it can also cause one to be cranky and mean! I know from experience through use of it myself and with many of my patients, hehe.

Good to hear you finally got some sleep. 8 hours would be a dream!

If fusion is pretty much inevitable, why do they put you through the meds, shots, and pain if it can be fixed for good another way? I'm sure its insurance protocol, but it still bites that there is such a long drawn out process of trial and error.

Tamena
                  Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    6 days

Ed
                    Sorry to hear that your discs are going. C5-C6 must be a very common spot to go first. That's where I have a bulging disc and a spur at C5. Everyone with neck problems seem to state that level at least. I hope that they can get the inflammation down enough to get some pressure off of those nerves. It sounds like, two levels = two nerve roots. I think it was most likely the Voltaren that gave you the most relief last night. I've been on gabapentin and it is one of those drugs that you have to titrate up on and takes awhile for the full effect. Maybe it made you sleepy, which is a good thing. Your MRI will be the tell all. If it's bad enough I can't imagine them making you go through steroid shots first. I hope you continue to feel better.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                      If they've been doing it for four years, why is it experimental?
                      It was experimental then, probably not by now.
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Ed,
                        I was on the same combination of meds as you are a couple of years ago for neck pain and numbness and it did the trick, so I am hoping it works the same for you. The Gabapentin can make you very sleepy and sometimes spacey which lessens overtime. The steroid can keep you from sleeping. The Diclofenec is a NSAID which works very well on pain. I am glad the Gabapentin overrode the steroid so you could get a good nights sleep.

Tae-tap, why go directly to a fusion when many time, the less invasive will work?

Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally,

I just wonder if the disks are that bad to start isn't it only going to get worse? I just think sometimes the drugs are just a stall of the inevitable. But I work with feet all day, not spines so I was really just thinking out loud. Many times in my field surgery is the only thing to fix a problem (like bunions, they don't just disappear with a shot) but insurance requires us to do shots and physical therapy prior to a bunionectomy. I just wish the problem could be fixed for good and not just patched for a short time.

Tamena
                          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Hi Ed,
                            Hopefully all will get better before long. The combination of things you mentioned helped me for a long time. Maybe 10-12 years. It is well worth giving it a try. I was fused c567,but that was well after the first major problem. My daughter is going through the same thing and her dr is treating her like yours recommends. I say it is well worth trying.She does not have the spine problem .I have another post in revision forum looking for some more suggestions also.I am still having some issues in thorasic or neck. Can't tell!
                            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                            Right scapulectomy 6/15
                            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                            Broken neck 9/28/2018
                            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                            Osteotomy

Comment

The medication program I am on is working quite well. Its been 14 hours and I would say that the raw tenderness in my neck has reduced about 50%. These medications are incredible and a life saver.

I was expecting some side affects since there are all sorts of warnings about driving and working with machinery. I was not grouchy in the slightest in fact it was the other way around with great jokes just rolling off my tongue all morning.....boy did I have a lot of fun!

I feel so relieved that I could almost stay on this regiment but I think I am gaining weight “by the minute”. (smiley face) Hopefully, I wont explode like the guy in the Monty Python movie.

Ed
                              Last edited by titaniumed; 04-24-2013, 10:58 PM.

My x-rays

Comment

so glad to hear that you are getting relief...
                                i would guess the prednisone type stuff is responsible for the
                                weight gain...
                                and it just may be that the weight stops when the dose of steroids
                                is finished...
                                i hope the pain relief is lasting...

hope the pain relief helps you to have a great time on your scuba
                                expedition...but please be careful anyway...no overdoing it!!!

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Working...
                                X