No announcement yet.

Neck problems above fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed, I appreciate your updates. The other day my daughter and I were talking about how some people "live large". You are one of those people who live large. Your world isn't small. That is inspiring to me. Thank you.
    1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
    2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
    2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
    2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
    2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
    At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
    Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
    Post op x-ray

Comment

• Well I saw my surgeon today and I don’t have any “extruding” happening......also no stenosis issues at all with plenty of room for the spinal cord and its fluid. It is pushing on the left side of the cord on 2 levels.

I will stay on the diclofenac and if I end up in trouble again, I will schedule a cervical epidural injection......

They tell me it goes in from the front off to the side a bit. Ye-ha.

Has anyone had this done? C5-C6 C6-C7 levels?

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        Well I saw my surgeon today and I don’t have any “extruding” happening......also no stenosis issues at all with plenty of room for the spinal cord and its fluid. It is pushing on the left side of the cord on 2 levels.

I will stay on the diclofenac and if I end up in trouble again, I will schedule a cervical epidural injection......

They tell me it goes in from the front off to the side a bit. Ye-ha.

Has anyone had this done? C5-C6 C6-C7 levels?

Ed
        Well that's some good news Ed! is it feeling better now that you were at first? Yikes about that injection! But I guess we've all lived through worse!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Hi Ed, to clarify, what's pushing on the left side of your cord on two levels?

Is this what's causing your pain/numbness?

I hope you don't have to have that injection, but as Debbei says, we've had worse. Good luck!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Ed-- my husband had it done at just one level for his bulging disc. He didn't seem like it was anything. I went along as the designated driver... (smile) bug he thought that was silly. It was done in the doctor's office, although I think in a special room. I don't really remember the rest. It's been a couple of years. Jim acted like it wasn't really much, but I'll quiz him.

I'm so glad your news, in general, is quite good.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• HI Ed,
              I had the injections twice. Both times it was done on my back. The ist inj. lasted around 11 years, The second ones did not help.I say it is worth a try. I was fused later at c5-6-7.Ed try to Pm me as I want to clear something up.Jackie
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
              Osteotomy

Comment

• Jen

What’s pushing up against my spinal cord are my discs. The discs herniate, the annulus or outer wall gets weak or cracks, and the soft inside nucleus pushes out, AND usually against the spinal cord. This pain can really be intense......”Pain episodes” are when the pain spikes a hard 9 or 10 level when you know something is wrong. This is not an ache, its electrical,burning, nerve related pain.

Living with herniated discs is a DRAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and so common even for non scolis. It’s a major problem.

For those that have had herniated discs, they know what I’m talking about. Pain in lumbar discs can create sciatica, which is also devastating. Remember I broke my shoulder before my scoli surgeries and didn’t even bother going to the hospital? That will give a good idea of how much pain I was in right before my scoli surgeries. It was way out of control.

My campfire is low right now.....it was hit with 5 gallons of water. The diclofenac after the steroid pack (Methylprednisolone) worked well.

I had a spinal tap in 2002. They use a flouroscope (x-ray) so they can see the spine and guide the stud in. They numb the area locally, and let er rip.

I have had a LOT of shots in my time........big horsey sized ones to the little ones. I even had my eyes “drilled” by an eye surgeon to remove metal particles in my eyeballs.

I am so used to this stuff now.....bla,bla,bla
                You know when you are a child, doctors and dentists can REALLY be scary......Just check the blood pressure and pulse of your 10 year old while sitting in the waiting room....... Jumpy, jumpy, jumpy!.... like revving your car in park at 3000 rpm. All revved up, and no place to go....

Vroom, vroom.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Ed,
                  That's good news. At least you don't have to jump right into a cervical fusion. It lets me know what's coming down the road for me, too. My cervical discs have been dry since my 20's. I have a bone spur on C5 growing inward toward my spinal cord, but thankfully it's really small now. Although, I went to an orthopedic surgeon for my shoulder and he said my neck was a mess and thought some of my shoulder and arm problems could be caused by the neck. My shoulder problem is supposedly not supposed to be painful or make my elbow hurt and hand tingle and go numb. I don't know. I just appreciate people like you that share what you go through. For me it's helpful to know in advance what may be coming my way. I'm glad your pain is down. I hope it stays that way. I've had epidurals for the lumbar disc but not for the cervical. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I'm sure you know the drill. You are right about discs going bad and the pain it causes. It's unbearable compared to many of the other things that hurt.

Keep well and take care.
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

• Hi Ed,
                    I hope you are doing well. your treatment for your cervical ---is it still working? I saw my Dr on Thursday to discuss more upper spine and shoulder blade issues. It appears as if c7-t-1 is the problem. I am already fused c5-6-7. I want to avoid adding on--so I asked for Pt for upper thorasic and I am to go for an evaluation for epidural at c7. I may ask for steroid pack first. What helped you the most? I have been taking diclofenac for 2 months now---helped a little maybe. It did seam to help me more last year than it is now. And this workers comp case just settled a few months ago---but medical remains open until a MSA can be funded. I am back to dealing with ins people. Yikes!
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Osteotomy

Comment

• Jackie

My neck has been ok. A little stiff the last few days with these storms passing through, but ok. I have not taken any Diclofenac since my plane trip to South America Aug 3rd. It snowed 20” up at Tahoe.

When you have as many levels fused as you do, its not about how many are fused, its about how many are left.....

Your C7-T1 is a critical level for you, I hope you can put this fire out somehow. The PT effort is worth a shot.

We switched insurance policy’s last week because HUMANA feels that they deserve a 40% hike. They pulled that stunt last year also. Nice huh? Insurance has been a pain in the neck lately, that’s for sure. (I would have used the other word, but this is a neck thread) In Colombia, full 100% coverage cost $30/mo and most of the docs are trained in the US and speak English. In Mexico, with an FM3, insurance cost even less. We have some serious insurance problems here, no doubt about it. I’m glad I had my surgeries when I did. I guess they have to prepare since all the baby boomers are starting to get expensive. Men also cost more than women after we hit out 50’s. We just get too beat up and fall apart I guess. (smiley face)

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• I'm glad your neck is doing better Ed! I'm so with you on insurance, it just costs a fortune! It sure isn't like 15-20 years ago. I remember paying a $10 copay to have my daughter 14 years ago--that was IT. Now we all have to pay so much between premiums and out of pocket costs.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Hi Ed
                          Yes insurance is a nightmare.
                          However, I wished I had the type that offered more flexibitity. I saw the doctor that my surgeon recommended today. This upper thorasic is giving me issues.
                          I just want very conservitive treatment, I hope to get it approved. I haven't heard one way or the other if I have an approval. The doctor is recommending an epidural
                          but it may be the hardware. I do not tolerate to many meds well---I like to stay awake!
                          It is the c-7 t-1 area--doctor said he could extend the fusion---but that is the very LAST thing I want to have done.
                          So I sit here with heat packs and rest the head down when I have to, That is the only thing that helps.

What is going to happen next year---with health care changes?
                          I wished that I had this MSA now then I can just pay the bill and be done.
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Osteotomy

Comment

• In keeping this as simple as possible and not turning this thread into an insurance thread, (wrong section of forum) Debbe, I would say the the $10 baby days are OVER! Over the long run, its just going to cost more...... Funny how we wondered what $1 gas was going to be like back in 1974, and now we would do anything for $1 per gallon gasoline. Hmmm.....

Jackie, I am so sorry about your neck, and want to say take it easy even though we don’t really have full control over degeneration that happens over decades. Its not like I had some sort of incident or crash, and suddenly I’m in a world of major pain. I do know first hand that my bereavement stress contributed heavily to my neck situation. Things are better now in this regard.

I don’t have any hilarious Right Said Fred videos to end this post with a laugh, but that’s ok I guess.

Are we adaptable? I think so, after all we keep proving this time and time again....

I will have to try a heat pack on the neck.....I’ve never done that. Sounds like a pretty good idea.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Hi Ed,

I'm sorry to hear about your neck problems. I thought they'd resolved. I always found heat helped my pain. What are your plans for the future for your neck?
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                                What are your plans for the future for your neck?
                                Jen, Oh probably get a neck brace. (smiley face)
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_ring

I wonder if any of these people that wear these have herniation’s? Its has to be impossible!

My neck is ok right now, it just gets stiff when the winter storms pass through. No biggie....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                                X