Hip pain caused by scoliosis...????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jess,
    After reading that report, it holds no surprises for me. Your left hip pain could be a combination of your hip injury, bursitis (which is extremely painful) and nerve impingement (which is also extremely painful). So it's no wonder that your hips hurt. I will try to give you my best interpretation from my layman's perspective.

To tackle these one at a time, I'll start with the hip injury. The fact that you don't remember injuring it doesn't surprise me. You were probably initially getting most of your pain from that pinched nerve in your spine. That's why the pain would go away if you rested or were able to do some things with relatively less pain. My niece was in boot camp for the Army and got stress fractures in her feet. She never injured them in one incident, per se, but they were fractured none the less. Just because the fracture didn't show up on your MRI doesn't mean that isn't what happened. It seems to me, if I recall correctly, that you had this burning pain and numbness where you ignored the numbness (probably nerve impingement) but that the burning got worse and worse. This could either be from the probable stress fracture or the bursitis. But rest may help and follow Linda's advice for the treatment of the bursitis. Steroid injections are the treatment for bursitis. But since you either can't or are afraid to get the steroid injection, I'm wondering if daily icing of your hip will help keep the inflammation and pain at bay. Ask your doctor what else you can do.

As for your back. Facet joint arthrosis is arthritis of the facet joint. Here is a nice little article that explains it pretty well:
    http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/c...B/1/3.full.pdf
    From reading your report, I feel that you stand to have at least four complications from this condition.
    1. Continuing and worsening pain
    2. Continuing and worsening left nerve root impingement causing pain, numbness, and loss of function of the area that the nerve is involved with. A pinched nerve becomes inflamed and if it is pinched long enough can cause the nerve to die. This is permanent.
    3. Worsening stenosis, which actually squeezes the spinal cord itself and cause pain and loss of function below the impingement.
    4. Autofusion of your spine. The risk of this is sometimes you get to the point where you are inoperable. This happened to a friend of mine, as you know.

I know that you know all of these things already. I would definitely ask your doctor about them anyway. The thing that concerns me the most for you is the fact that you are back and forth about surgery. I would hate to see you opt for surgery and then be told you can't have it. My friend was willing to follow it through, but I'm not convinced that you are. I would seriously recommend talking to your doctor about it so that you know which decision is right for you. Of course, a surgeon is going to recommend surgery since that is what they do. Maybe since you are working with Dr. Lonner you can talk to him about it IF your insurance allows you to see him. If you talk to your pain doctor he may be able to come up with some alternate treatments to keep the pain under control if spinal fusion is absolutely NOT what you want.

My heart goes out to you and I wish you the very best!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Oh Jess. I am so sad for you. What a terrible MRI report

Melissa
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

thanks, Susie, Jen G., Melissa, rohr, and others...
        thanks for the caring...

i did not injure my hip that i know of...
        i think it could be from uneven results from walking when my spine
        is not "loaded" the same on both sides...Linda said something to that
        effect...that it causes trochanteric bursitis to scoli patients often
        for that reason....

the prescribed tx for bursitis when fluid is not infected is rest and ice...
        ice has not helped much...i have been resting by not walking...
        way too hot right now for Sparky...could only really take him out super
        early or at midnite...even then the air is still thick with humidity...

i am not likely to allow a steroid injection for this hip thing...
        i do not think it is worth it to risk my cortisol crashing again...
        it is not a case of being afraid...it is the realistic chance of my cortisol crashing again
        and not coming back a second time...
        that would mean a lifetime of living on steroid meds, like a prednisone medication...
        i rather avoid that, if possible...

Sparky can go to doggie play date tonite...it is Tuesday nites only near where
        we live...and play in air conditioning with other little doggies...
        so he will get exercise without walking...
        it is 94 degrees out today...that kind of heat and humidity is not good for dog walking...no one is on the streets around here....not a dog to be seen...

the spinal report is not news...just getting worse, i guess...
        i kind of put it out of my mind so i function daily...
        do not function well, of course...
        i have to get around to calling Lonner and checking on this awful Medicare
        Advantage Plan...i can change insurance around January or whenever around
        there it is allowed, but i do not know what i might change to...
        can always see a doctor with a one time cash consult...just not realistic if surgery
        were to happen....but i am not looking to spinal surgery for now...
        and i am older....it is not something i am looking to...

thanks again for the concern and suggestions...
        jess...and Sparky
        Last edited by jrnyc; 07-16-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

gotta find another doggie play group...my little boy, the "marker" was
          kicked out of play group cause i won't make him wear a "doggie diaper"
          and he "marks" even when i walk him extensively first...it is excitement,
          i think...he stops after a while...
          and...the guy who runs the place yelled at us...so unprofessional!!
          they are worried about their precious walls being peed on...
          then don't run a doggie play group!!

so...gotta find another way to get him exercise...
          there is a group Sundays where they are used to such male doggie
          behavior...

in mean time...midnite walks are back...
          bad hip and all...

woof

Comment

Jess

I saw your reports last year and you know what I’m going to say....I wrote a long one last night and deleted it since you are in a critical decision making state.

I do have another long post written. I think I should post here, but will leave all decisions up to you.

Poor Sparky. Did you see “The World’s Fastest Indian?” Where ground up dog’s balls were recommended to Anthony Hopkins for prostate problems? LOL Great movie about determination.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World's_Fastest_Indian

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

The decision of what to do is obviously up to you. A crystal ball would be helpful and each of us wishes that we had one. My 2 cent about surgery decision making: do lots of research about your problem and the choices available, interview enough surgeons until you find the right one, decide if surgery os the right dcision. if you choose surgery, have a quiet talk with yourself (and Sparky) and decide whether you are going to let go and TRUST your surgeon OR you are going to micromanage the process and worry about everything. Having done both at various times, I suggest the trust. I put a picture of Dr. Hu on the back of my cell phone on top of the word, "trust". I looked at the pictures a dozen times a day. Four weeks before surgery, for 5 minutes I wanted to cancel. Then 2 weeks before surgery, I stopped reading this blog (I read every thread for about 8 years past), and suddenly I just relaxed and decided to trust. A wave of hope and relaxation came over me. I felt awesome.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well. If we lived closer, I would dog sit Sparky for you!

Hugs, Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                gotta find another doggie play group...my little boy, the "marker" was
                kicked out of play group cause i won't make him wear a "doggie diaper"
                and he "marks" even when i walk him extensively first...it is excitement,
                i think...he stops after a while...
                and...the guy who runs the place yelled at us...so unprofessional!!
                they are worried about their precious walls being peed on...
                then don't run a doggie play group!!

so...gotta find another way to get him exercise...
                there is a group Sundays where they are used to such male doggie
                behavior...

in mean time...midnite walks are back...
                bad hip and all...

woof
                Sorry Sparky
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

thanks, guys...
                  Sparky says thank you for the sympathy...he meant no harm...little
                  angel guy...told him we'll go back to the further away play group this
                  Sunday...where they are waaay more tolerant!

Ed...ground up WHAT???!!

susan...thank you for the kind wishes and doggie offer...
                  been thru interviewing surgeons including flying to L.A. just to see one...
                  been there, done that...cannot bring myself to decide and not change
                  my mind...done it a dozen times...the flexible rods (mentioned on forum recently) interest me...
                  but i fear they are too many years away from being a reality (for lumbar
                  fusions) to help me...

Melissa....Sparky says "woof woof"

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Jess,

Nobody else is saying it, so I'm gonna. You sound like you need surgery.

Since you are still unsure (you know I can relate), you might ask your doctor how long you can wait and still opt for surgery. Like Rohrer says, what is the tipping point after which you would be inoperable?

I am not a big advocate of surgery in general and especially not in borderline cases. BUT if you are in debilitating pain and are having your daily activities limited by scoliosis, I think it is a reasonable option.

Jess, I am going to be in NYC for Labor Day weekend! I am going to have my husband and two kids with me, so I won't have a lot of time. But would you like to meet for coffee or something so you can see someone fused to the sacrum? I would be delighted to meet you in person!

Best,
                    Evelyn
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

P.S. Do they think your hip will heal on it's own?

P.P.S. If Rohrer is right and your spine fuses on it's own, you will still have loss of flexibility without the benefit of correction.

P.P.P.S. Surgery is terrifying and recovery is interminable, but it's better than living in agony -- I think.
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Jess

Now you are just going to have to see this film, here is a free version.
                        http://viooz.co/movies/5673-the-worl...dian-2005.html

I wont tell you where the scene is at because you should watch the whole film....

Its all Sparky’s fault. (smiley face)

Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

hi Ev...thank you SO much for the offer to meet...
                          i can make it so i can be in NYC for Labor Day, i am pretty sure...
                          i would love to meet you in person, if it is still do-able for you!

Ed...gonna look at that when i am in better mood.....cause right now,
                          i feel sad for Sparky....maybe his feelings are hurt, maybe i am just
                          projecting...but he was definitely happy to be in play place for a quick
                          minute and was starting to play with other dogs when i had to yank him
                          out of there...
                          and anyone who would be mean to my dog...or value their "new" walls in
                          their new doggie place over my dog is crap in my book!
                          if they didn't want dogs going near their precious new walls in the place,
                          they should have opened a library and not a dog training place!
                          and that the owner yelled at us, in front of everyone, showed he is
                          not a professional...people told me they wished Spark could stay, cause
                          their little dogs liked my Sparky.
                          poor doggies...suffering due to a stupid human again.

thanks to both of you for your kindness...

jess...and Spark
                          y

Comment

Yaaay! I do hope you can meet Evelyn on Labour Day. I have long wondered how I can make a video of myself cleaning the bath, getting into the car, playing around with grandkids, and especially, getting dressed in the morning, walking along, etc., and send it to you so I can reassure you of what you can do post-surgery to pelvis. I do hope seeing Evelyn is a help to you. I look forward to hearing how it went (fingers crossed you two can pull this off!) When is Labour Day?
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hi JenG
                              Labor Day here is first Monday in September...it is "early" this year...i
                              think September 2nd...i should be able to make it, no problem...
                              i will be so grateful...so good of Evelyn to offer!
                              and thank you for the kind idea of making a video for me to see....
                              it is so thoughtful of you.
                              i think seeing, meeting those who are already fused to sacrum would
                              help immensely for people trying to make a decision....
                              yes, no one has a crystal ball to know how THEIR OWN surgeon will go,
                              but seeing it close up and watching someone move like that would
                              help get rid of the "robot" movements some of us have in our heads, no
                              matter how many patients already fused and doing well try to tell us
                              otherwise...
                              i am surprised no surgeon has such a video to show potential patients.

walked Sparky this morning just before 6 a.m. east coast time...easier
                              for me with the bugs...they love my "foreign" NYC blood, i swear...
                              i get more bites than any "natives" in CT i know of...the bugs prefer
                              "foreign" to "local" blood!!

thanks again, JenG
                              jess...and Sparky

Comment

Don't let fear paralyze your decision.
                                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X