Hip pain caused by scoliosis...????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks, Linda...
    i will give the suggested exercise a try...
    have to schedule the MRI this week...

it never occurred to me that one could have bursitis of any kind
    in a hip...i know about bursitis in upper body...just never thought
    it could happen in a hip...
    interesting...
    the pain, when it comes, is SO strong...like a fire!
    never had a pain exactly like that before...
    and the Diclofenac, though relieving some pain, doesn't seem to touch
    the hip pain at all.
    i walked Spark today for 25 minutes and the burning pain started...
    we got a ride the rest of the way home!

thanks again...
    and i hope your pain goes away soon!
    jess...and Sparky
    Last edited by jrnyc; 06-29-2013, 10:27 PM.

Comment

have MRI of left hip and lower spine scheduled for June 9th...
      i have never had burning pain like this before...intense...
      even when a doctor examining me said my shoulders were
      "warm to the touch" from Lyme Disease, it did not burn like this...
      strange...i did not fall down or anything...
      i hate not knowing what is causing it...
      oxycontin is not relieving it...no pain meds seem to
      touch it...
      used to hurt when walking...now it is getting to the point
      of hurting if i move...

jess

Comment

Jess,
        I'm so sorry to hear that this pain is getting worse. I was kind of hoping to hear that it just vanished as it did in your other hip.
        I'm sure you meant July 9th, right? I hope you get some answers. I would still ask about contrast. They can see so much more. You can have it done both ways. But, why not kill two birds with one stone and get them both done on the same day? Sometimes I just don't understand the mentality of some doctors. They'll probably tell you that they need to see more and order one with contrast, anyway. Let us know how things go. I hope you get some relief!
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Jess, I am so sorry that you are having even more intense pain in your hip. Yes, I believe that lumbar scoliosis can cause hip pain because my Ortho Dr. locally would not do a total hip surgery on my until he ruled out the possibility of the pain coming from my back. I hope the MRI gives you the answer you need and that you can soon get the pain under control.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            have MRI of left hip and lower spine scheduled for June 9th...
            i have never had burning pain like this before...intense...
            Jess, I am so sorry about your pain. You have had more than your share of pain by a LONG shot.

If it is burning, does that mean it is nerve pain?
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

whoops...have been distracted lately...
              yes, meant July 9th....
              i do not even want to think about any hip replacement...
              it feels like the burning is IN the hip joint...
              it is weird...it doesn't seem like nerve pain...it literally feels like it is on fire...
              the previous hip pain was nothing like this...that was a sharp pain...that
              thankfully disappeared...this pain is different...just intense burning...do not
              understand why skin outside is numb over the same area as the inner burning...
              maybe the numbness is from nerves...??
              i sure do hope MRI gives me answers...
              i am going to let it go with no contrast...i mentioned it on phone when i scheduled appt...they said the doctor should be able to see what he needs to see...
              i am going to a good radiology place...connected to hospital...should have gone there for last scoli X ray!

thanks for the sympathy...much appreciated
              jess...and Sparky
              Last edited by jrnyc; 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Jess,
                When I took my son in for hip pain, the orthopedic surgeon said that people with pain in the joint itself point toward the groin. I found that to be true for those two years that my hip hurt. Even though my son had a torn labrum (I think I said meniscus before, but am correcting myself) he reached for the outside of his hip to describe the pain. That's why the doctor gave his a steroid shot over the outside region. His pain went away and never returned. Apparently the labral tear was a finding that had nothing to do with the real cause of his pain.

With that said, is your numbness on the outside of your hip or over the inside groin area? It seems strange that there would be numbness associated with it if it's a worn hip joint. Numbness is almost always connected to pinched nerves. I would think that if it were a pinched nerve there would be more numbness down your leg and not just over the painful area. You sure are a hard nut to crack. I hope they figure things out for you. Your symptoms always seem not so straight forward. We should start a Red Herring club! I think my shoulder problem is throwing my doctors a curve. They just don't see it, but I do. I hope I'm wrong, but don't think I am.

I hope you can get some pain relief over the weekend. I know when they changed the formula of oxycontin, it no longer works for me. I have to take the quicker acting oxycodone to get relief. I wonder if that is part of the problem of why you can't get any relief with your meds. Many, many people have had the same experience. I looked it up when it didn't work at all this last time I tried it. Do hot baths make it feel any better, or is it just movement period that makes it hurt? I'm so sad for you. Hip pain is one of those really bad "I can't function with this" pains. Maybe the warmth of Sparky curling up by your hip will help. I know his cute little moral support will help you through. Scratches and tummy rubs for Sparky. I wish I could come up with a suggestion to help lessen your pain, but I can't. =(
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

I hope they can give you some answers on the 9th Jess. Thinking of you.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thank you so much for the sympathy, rohr...and Jen G

the burning pain is in the left hip...it does not run down the thigh
                    or left leg...pain stays in the hip, towards the outside.
                    it used to come on with walking...but now it comes when i am
                    absolutely still and doing nothing..
                    hope MRI this Tuesday gives answer to why this is happening...

again, sympathy is much appreciated.

have a great wkend...
                    jess...and Sparky

Comment

Yes, I think so many of us are feeling sympathy for you, Jess, even when we don't post back. You're on our minds and in our prayers. I had heard at one time (I think from my PT) that burning was nerve related. Hope it goes well on Tuesday.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

thanks Susie...
                        i hope so, too...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Jess,
                          Thinking of you. Yes, I think it could be from scoli. Funny, but my left hip is where I have my remaining pain. But mine is from a 3-4 inch screw, I think! Just has me wondering is yours could be tied into the s/I joint. Keep us posted. Have you tried a muscle relaxant?

Evelyn
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                            thank you so much for the sympathy, rohr...and Jen G

the burning pain is in the left hip...it does not run down the thigh
                            or left leg...pain stays in the hip, towards the outside.
                            it used to come on with walking...but now it comes when i am
                            absolutely still and doing nothing..
                            hope MRI this Tuesday gives answer to why this is happening...

again, sympathy is much appreciated.

have a great wkend...
                            jess...and Sparky
                            This sounds a LOT like what happened to my son. His pain was on the outside, too. It turned out to be tendonitis, I think. I don't know what they can do for that without a steroid shot. You've got to get the inflammation down if that's what it turns out to be. We are all eagerly awaiting your Dx. Hang in there. Just a few days to go.

Hugs
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

Jess

I didn’t realize that you are this wiped out.... sigh...

They are going to MRI your lower spine right?

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Ev...and rohr...
                                thank you both for your kind concern...

i do not have any muscle relaxers to take. taking a few hydrocodone a few hours after oxycontin seems to take the edge off the intensity of the burning pain.
                                also, i have been laying in bed a lot...it is waaaay too hot to walk Sparky puppy here lately....even at nite, it is still hot and humid...

Ev...i was getting sacroiliac joint injections that were giving me major
                                pain relief...til i was given too much steroid...i really miss those shots

rohr...i think any kind of "-itis" means inflammation....Linda Racine was guessing it might be trochanteric bursitis...guess i will find out on Tuesday...hoping i can get the radiology tech to tell me something. am not looking forward to laying on hard steel table...but we do what we gotta....

thanks again...
                                hugs and woofs to you both....
                                from jess...and Sparky
                                Last edited by jrnyc; 07-07-2013, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X