Hip pain caused by scoliosis...????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks so much, hdsluckygirl....
    yes, have tried almost every liquid i could think of or that vets suggested...including vets at Tufts U School of Vet Medicine (nutrition department)...he turned down chicken and beef broth. he won't drink anything but melted low fat vanilla ice cream, and there is a limit to how much of that i can give him...
    he refused chicken broth, every kind of water mixed with other things...hates anything really cold, so ice cubes are out...he likes room temperature for water and food. he NEVER drank enough water...not as a baby puppy either. he thinks he is a camel....

my spine got so tight tonite, i just caved and went into a hot shower until the hot water ran out completely...happens in houses (i never had it happen in apartment in Manhattan) now i will take muscle relaxer...at limit for today...and try to relax and sleep...

thank you again for your kindness..it is much appreciated.

jess...awaiting Sparky's return home
    Last edited by jrnyc; 12-24-2014, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Hi Jess,

I am really sorry to hear how baby Sparky is struggling right now…have you tried melting butter into chicken broth or beef broth? Maybe that will entice him.

I hope he is a bit better today, and that you are able to enjoy Christmas today.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Poor Sparky.....Hoping he feels better for Christmas......

BK my cat had FUS many years ago.......I guess it was the magnesium in the food, and switched his food....Heck, I even had my share of stone problems! Kidney and gall which are no fun....

Merry Christmas

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Wow there are plenty of suggestions on getting a dog to drink. I hope something works.

The sub-cutaneous fluids isn't that hard and my daughter's rabbit didn't mind. I watched a video on how to do it which was very helpful because I was a little wigged out at the thought. :-0 You pinch up the skin and push the needle in parallel between your fingers so it doesn't hit the muscle. I think you can do this and he may not notice and will feel so much better. The fluid goes in very quickly! It only took a minute... they said it didn't matter how fast it went in so I opened up the valve the whole way.

I hope Baby Sparky comes home very soon. And I hope you can relax yourself so your back lets go a bit, Jess.

Try to enjoy the day knowing he is in great hands. You can celebrate when he comes home.

Best regards,
          Sharon
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• How is Sparky ? Is he home?
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• most grateful to you all...so kind of you to inquire about the
              sweet boy....

Sparky came home Thursday nite and we had to take him back yesterday (Friday nite)....long story short he managed to get dirt all over, including on his surgical
              wound....vet cleaned it up and gave us more pain med in form of needles
              with buprenex....more powerful than morphine...helps with pain and sleeping
              for little guy...
              first time i gave him needle (at home) he jumped, looked at me and said "Oh no momma....not you too...???"

but the Gabapentin they sent him home from surgery with does not do anything noticeable...Tramadol works but not enough... so shots help immensely....and they get him to sleep, too.

i hope this third surgery is the last he ever needs & that he can go on to just be a puppy...play, take walks, run, wag and love everybody, the way he always has done.
              when puppy is feeling better, i will try some of suggestions to get him to drink
              more fluids....
              thanks again....to all

jess....with her Sparky
              Last edited by jrnyc; 12-27-2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• I am glad that you is home with you. Take good care of himself and yourself as well.

Melissa
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Sparky has the best momma possible. You have a kind heart and are compassionate with people and your sweet Sparky, too. I hope he heals quickly.

Hugs,
                  Karen & Puppy Lexi
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• thanks Melissa...
                    he now has a "diaper" to alternate with cone...
                    so he won't scrape anything if he "scoots" on ground
                    cause wound itches as it heals...

thanks Karen....ditto to you, too
                    and Sparky makes everyone around him smile...he loves every
                    person he meets...and gives joy everywhere he goes.
                    he would send your adorable Lexi some puppy kisses if he could

wishing all a peaceful and healthy (or healthi-er) 2015
                    jess...& her Sparky
                    Last edited by jrnyc; 12-27-2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Hang in there, Jess!!

I keep hoping Sparky will turn a corner real soon and start to feel better (you too)!!!!!

Please keep us posted - I came on tonight specifically to see how he was doing - sorry the news wasn't better - maybe tomorrow it will be (fingers crossed)!!!
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• oh Maria...thank you so much...
                        he is 5 days out...they said 10-14...
                        he eats if hand fed chicken or roast beef...
                        cone on most of time, as he cannot be trusted not to lick...

sending you a private message....

hugs and a puppy woof
                        to you and Jackie

Comment

• Jess,

So glad baby Sparky is home and recovering.

You will get him through this. So much for a little monkey puppy to understand.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• thanks, Sharon
                            Sparky seems to be holding his own....healing slowly....
                            i think he is moving in the right direction....slowly.
                            we shall see what the vet says on Wednesday (tomorrow)
                            but i do not know if we will start subcutaneous fluids then...
                            because Sparky has been thru so much lately....
                            it may wait a little while longer...
                            he has been drinking more water lately.
                            i don't know if it is ENUF more.

thanks so much for the support.

jess...with her Sparky
                            Last edited by jrnyc; 12-30-2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• 20141221_153950_resized_2.jpg20141227_094534_resized.jpg

hope these come thru
                              this is my emotional support animal...needing some support
                              himself....

i went in to Manhattan to pain management doctor...just picked up
                              medication prescriptions for myself...and rushed back to CT to pup.
                              i was due for botox in upper spine, especially helpful now to shoulder
                              pain in addition to upper spine...but would have to wait for following day to see
                              pain doc himself for injections...and am delaying that until end January visit.

jess...back with Sparky
                              Last edited by jrnyc; 12-30-2014, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• Yes they posted! Such a little angel baby. :-)

Hang in there. I am hoping if Sparky needs the fluids that he won't mind like my daughter's rabbit really didn't mind. You can get very good at this so that they hardly notice. I give my horse IM injections every two weeks to protect his joints. I have been doing this for years and he does not notice most of the time. That needle was smaller than the needle to push fluids into the rabbit but the experience with injecting my horse so much helped.

The fluids go right under the skin, not into the muscle like my horse's shots.

Jess, I have no doubt you can get good at this so that he hardly notices.

Sharon

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                                [ATTACH]1734[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1735[/ATTACH]

hope these come thru
                                this is my emotional support animal...needing some support
                                himself....

i went in to Manhattan to pain management doctor...just picked up
                                medication prescriptions for myself...and rushed back to CT to pup.
                                i was due for botox in upper spine, especially helpful now to shoulder
                                pain in addition to upper spine...but would have to wait for following day to see
                                pain doc himself for injections...and am delaying that until end January visit.

jess...back with Sparky

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X