• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    you are right, rohr...
    i am very leery about steroid shots...if a doctor told me a very small
    amount of the stuff might help the hip...i still do not know if i would
    risk it...only because there is a chance if my cortisol disappeared again,
    it might not come back...and Addison's disease scares me.

jess...and Sparky
    Jess,
    I know someone with Addison's disease. He was pretty miserable before the diagnosis. He even slipped into a coma for about two days. No one thought to check his cortisol levels. They just thought he was a drug user because of his appearance (he "looks" the part), but he rarely even has a beer let alone using drugs. When he finally went to an endocrinologist they were finally able to diagnose him. Now he takes his cortisol and is doing fine. The only bad side effect that I've seen is weight gain. He was super skinny to start with and now he's getting kind of robust.

I would call your endocrinologists office and ask them if another steroid shot could cause your cortisol to crash again. Sometimes a shot is the best diagnostic tool there is. In my case, they were able to rule out neck problems and actually see what range of motion I do have in my shoulder. BTW, I'm set for another two months of PT. He wants to see if strengthening those muscles back up will stabilize the shoulder since the surgery is VERY difficult for him to do and even harder to recover. Ugh. =(

I certainly hope you get your pain under control. Living with shocking, severe pain is a nightmare. I feel so bad for you. It may be time for you to have surgery. At least find out what is wrong and what your options are. =(

((((HUGS))))
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

hey rohr
      i never went back to endocrinologist after 2 visits...
      he was so eager to put me on meds....steroids...
      so i could have spinal surgery!!!
      ridiculous...i thought he was awful...do not care about his
      "good" reputation i was told about by my GP
      i am waiting to get spinal X ray orders sent to me from pain doc
      in NYC....they won't give me hip X ray orders til i see him April 24th...

hope PT works for you.

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Jess
        I’m just seeing this thread and am sorry about this....You know my story with the hip and leg pain that was caused by 4 CT verified herniation’s that I battled for 6 years.....That was what drove me to my surgeon, I couldn’t take it anymore.

NSAID’s helped....Celebrex and Bextra which was stronger....(and banned due to the lawsuits) Ocean therapy helped, and so did laying on a VAX-D machine but that hurt like heck during the treatments. Hot water soaks also helped substantially for pain control.

I did my 1st session of cervical traction on a machine this morning and my arm is coming back. I want to wait a day before I post results but it proves it’s a disc protrusion issue resulting in radiculopathy. I will always believe in alternatives since they have worked for me in the past....There is a time for surgery, its knowing “when”, that’s the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiculopathy

Lasegue’s sign for L5 herniation test.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_leg_raise

Hang in there...We will both hang in there! (smiley face)

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          I did my 1st session of cervical traction on a machine this morning and my arm is coming back. I want to wait a day before I post results but it proves it’s a disc protrusion issue resulting in radiculopathy. I will always believe in alternatives since they have worked for me in the past....There is a time for surgery, its knowing “when”, that’s the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiculopathy

Lasegue’s sign for L5 herniation test.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_leg_raise

Hang in there...We will both hang in there! (smiley face)

Ed
          Ed,
          I used to have a home cervical traction device since I've always had radiculopathy associated with my neck and left arm. If I still had it, I would send it to you. But, the point is, they do make them if this proves helpful for you. They have an anchor bar that slips between the mattress and box spring on the foot of your bed. You control how much weight to put into it. Mine used water or sand, but I used water in it. It didn't help my left arm pain much so I eventually quit using it unless I had bad flare-ups in my neck. It got left behind accidentally when I moved across country.

Jess,
          I would ask them to order an MRI of your lower spine and hips. I had a hip MRI done once for some pain that I endured for over two years before finally going in. They injected some contrast dye into the hip socket. It sounds painful, but is not at all painful. They do it under fluoroscopy and then wheel you to the MRI machine. For some odd reason that I'm grateful for, my hip pain went away after that injection and never came back. My MRI showed nothing, so whatever was causing me pain either got washed away or something got pushed back into place. I'm sure yours will show "something" either relating to a disc or your hips themselves. I wish you could get answers sooner. I know it's hard to wait when you are in pain. Is there anything anyone is doing to help you with the pain while you wait? I hope it's under control. I just cringe thinking about the pain you are in. You are in my thoughts.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

hi Ed...thanks for your concern.
            i am so sorry for your pain...and glad something helped you...
            i hope it continues to work for you...and that no surgery is needed...
            i am keeping you in thoughts and prayers that you did not inherit
            any illness from your father.

rohr...thanks for your thoughts.
            no one medicine is helping...
            the pain doc in NYC office people were supposed to call me back
            Friday about X ray orders... and they didn't call.
            i herniated discs in lower spine years ago...
            it doesn't feel like same pain...it feels like something in spine is
            pressing on somewhere it didn't press on before...
            the pain on right side is bad enuf to make me consider a SMALL dose
            of steroid, it they told me it could help...am getting desperate!!!

i could see this kind of pain driving someone straight into surgery!!

jess...and Sparky
            Last edited by jrnyc; 06-29-2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Jess, Have you ever been fitted with a lumbar brace? On days when I have similar symptoms, especially while standing, wrapping the brace around really helps for a while.

Comment

I think that's worth trying Jess. Prior to my surgery my pain was in the lumbar area and I often wore a magnetic brace, which was a wide velcro closing "belt" about 8" wide and I'd put it on tightly and it definitely helped my pain. Now while I doubt the magnets had anything to do with it, the firm fitting tightness really did help.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thanks Jen...

the hip pain disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared...
                  now, occasionally i have burning pain in the hip that didn't hurt
                  much before...the left hip...but it doesn't last long...
                  i am taking the NSAID Declofenac...it helps to some degree...
                  hoping i do not become allergic to it, as i was highly allergic to Vioxx
                  and Celebrex...

the X rays i got were not much help...i made the mistake of not
                  going to a hospital radiology place...and the resulting X ray
                  was close to useless...they gave no curve numbers...
                  never again...need to get an X ray from a hospital radiology
                  place...when i get to someone who will order it again...

thanks for all the input..
                  i am not willing to risk any steroids at this point in time...
                  not worth only 3 months of relief...as nice as that is...

jess

Comment

newer left hip pain...
                    sometimes like an intense burning feeling...
                    worse upon walking...like when walking puppy...

over the left hip...on the surface..feels numb...the numbness
                    has been there, i think, since before the burning pain...
                    strange...
                    since i "got over" Lyme, i am not used to numbness...
                    i have been ignoring this particular surface numbness for a while now...
                    but it is getting more noticeable to me...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

went to pain management doctor in Manhattan and saw PA...
                      she gave me prescriptions and orders for MRI of left hip and lower
                      spine...
                      the left hip pain is still there...
                      sometimes it starts burning if i am just standing and doing something...
                      like washing dishes...
                      other times it burns when i try to walk Sparky.
                      she said the burning pain along with numbness on top of skin
                      over hip area "worries" her...

this time, i will be sure to go to radiology place affiliated with hospital...
                      no more X rays or MRI's at places that do not measure curves and do not
                      do full length X rays....

jess

Comment

Jess,
                        I'm glad you finally got in to see someone. The fact that it worries a PA is no reason for immediate alarm. Sometimes they over react, in my experience. Although numbness usually means nerve involvement.

I just thought of something my doctor told me the other day. It's another diagnostic tool. My left SI joint has been really painful, but oddly enough not for the last few days which is great. Anyway, I'm considering getting a steroid SI injection but don't really know for sure if that's the problem. He said that he could inject a long acting anesthetic into the joint just to see if I get relief. If I do, then I can schedule the steroid injection. But with your new symptoms it doesn't sound like this is much helpful. However, keep it in the back of your mind if, in the future, you get localized hip pain again (without numbness).

My thoughts are with you!
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

Mine too. Good luck, Jess.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thanks, guys...
                            i appreciate the concern...

i am getting the MRI of left hip because the numbness on skin has
                            been there for awhile, but the burning pain feeling IN the hip is new...
                            so i want to know why it is happening...

rohr, i got great relief from SI joint injections until i was overdosed
                            on steroids...i do not get the shots anymore because i am fearful
                            of getting more steroids...my cortisol took 6 months to come back
                            up....it was so low the doctors were pretty shocked....it went down
                            to .39....and should never be lower than 5....ideally cortisol should
                            be around 14 or higher....i was so exhausted it took all my energy to
                            breathe...very scary episode...

if steroid shots lasted, it might be worth the risk to me...
                            but since i needed them repeated every 3 months...it is not worth
                            the risk...

jess

Comment

Jess,
                              After what happened to you I'M scared to get steroid shots!
                              I hope they don't want to keep injecting my shoulder. I got some improvement in range of motion but the pain still keeps me awake at night.
                              I'm weaning down on the oxy for a two-fold reason. First, my lower back suddenly feels much better. Second, the shoulder surgeon was afraid of how he was going to give me adequate pain control after surgery. I don't want that to be the reason I can't get my shoulder fixed! Certainly they have to find a way to control the pain. There are people out there on a lot higher dose of oxy than I am.
                              I surprisingly don't feel that bad. My neck pain and some upper back pain are coming back. But I'm not having horrible withdrawals. I'm taking it slow. I'm down to 30mg a day for two days now. So happy! =)
                              Be happy!
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi Jess...

I'm pretty sure that burning pain in the hip (as opposed to the groin or buttocks) is usually tronchanteric bursitis. You might want to check out some ILIOTIBIAL BAND EXERCISES.

Since I started using a standing workstation in clinic, my trochanteric bursitis is bothering me again. I can control the pain somewhat by doing the standing IT band stretch. Since it's your left hip that burns, put your right foot in front of your left foot. Hold onto a table, chair, wall, etc. Then, relax your hips and push your left hip out. Stand straight in the sagittal plane (that is, bend to the right, but not forward).

Hope you get to the bottom of the issue.

--Linda
                                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                                X