Question on behalf of a member of the Australian Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on behalf of a member of the Australian Forum

I have been asked to post this question by someone who applied to join this forum a couple of months ago without success.

She would like to know whether anyone over 50 with a long fusion does not have pelvic fixation.

I think basically she wants to know if patients over 50 are seen as requiring the pelvic fixation because of their age.

Thanks in advance. I'll pass all answers on to her.

Jen
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

That's an interesting question. I would think only if it was a lumbar curve or a TL curve that required fusion below about L3. But I am wondering if T curves that are not treated usually end up involving the lumbar if you wait until after 50. Who knows.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi...

Yes, there are folks >50 who get fusions short of the sacrum, but it's a relatively small percentage. And, I think the chance of those people ending up needing fusion to the sacrum later on is very high.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Well, I am one those 50+ patients with my fusion ending at L3. I don't really think much about the possibility of needing a future surgery for extending the fusion. I am hoping that all is well when I go in for my upcoming two year post-op appointment in May. I do notice that my lower lumbar may ache at times especially if I do a long walk on pavement instead of my usual treadmill. Sometimes sitting in chairs for an extended time may cause the lumbar area to ache too but I figured that would be the case for anyone over 50. So in the meantime, I continue to play tennis 2-3x/wk and on other days I walk or work out on the elliptical. I am also trying to strenghthen my lower core in hopes that will help to preserve those unfused levels. I plan to ask my dr. if hot yoga would be helpful for me. Any other suggestions for protecting those lower unfused levels would be much appreciated.

Donna
        Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
        Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
        Fused T3-L3
        60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
        Tennis player & returning to the courts!
        http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

I am fused T2-L4 and will celebrate 6 years post-op May 4. At my last appointment my doctor said my unfused lower spine looks in really fine shape.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've sent her the link so she can follow the thread. I'm off for a few days but thanks in advance to any further replies. I'm sure she'll find this really helpful.

Jen
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
            X