Susan's surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu on 19 and 22 March, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susan,
    So glad to hear that you are on the healing side and that the pain is slightly decreasing. That is a very good thing. I too had to look up atelectasis. You are amazing to be able to post so soon after two surgeries. I couldn't even figure out how to use my flip phone for days after, much less how to use a computer. Thinking of you as you get better and better.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I will be in rehabilitation for another 10 days. I don't know how anyone could do the postop without this intensive rehab. The hospital kicks you out too quickly. I am working on walking again with zero coronal balance. I leaned a lot to the right starting 6 months ago.

I still have lots of questions for Dr. Hu like why did I lose 8 units of blood in the second surgery. Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi Susan,

Great to see you here on the other side and already at rehab! That's amazing. It must feel so weird to stand up right now and walk with your new back.

Will be curious to hear what Dr Hu says about the blood loss, but that really sounds about par for many of us. I had similar blood loss probably during both of my surgeries, and was transfused both during surgery and a few days later. Make sure they follow your blood counts and gave you enough blood back. It makes a big difference in how you feel.

Take care, and please update when you can.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Susan--
          So glad you are at rehab. I agree I don't know how people do it without! The blood loss does sound very familiar. My experience was almost exactly like Gayle's. I almost had a 3rd after I was home a few days but they decided to wait and slowly my blood pressure, dizziness resolved itself. Good luck--you're on the way! Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I lost 6 units. Susan, drink lots of water. Whenever you think of it, at least have a sip.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Susan,

I am glad to hear you are doing well. I think we all lose or need blood during or after surgery. I was given four units after my short fusion. But I would not worry too much about that. Focus on the recovery for that is going to take all the energy you have at this moment. Keep pushing forward! Prayers are still being said.

Tamena
              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Susan,
                Blood loss in not uncommon especially in us older ladies. Bones tend to bleed a lot when they are cut into. I lost 8 pints between my two surgeries and when I went in for more decompression 2 years later, my Hct dropped from 45 to 24. No transfusion then, just lots of Iron pills. Rehab was good for me too. I couldn't have done without it. Another age related necessity. Take care, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Susan, one of the reasons that I did not choose the surgeon at Emory was that he would have corrected my spine through two surgeries (one posterior and one anterior) and it was my understanding that there is a lot more blood loss with an anterior approach. Dr. Lenke performed my surgery with an all posterior approach. I did need 4 units of packed cells which was what he had predicted and I was able to have that much blood on hand from donors I had lined up before my surgery. I did take an iron supplement for about 7 weeks after my surgery. I am glad to hear your recovery is going well. I have been praying for you.
                  Jane

Comment

Thank you everyone for your support. I am able to walk further already than I was before surgery. I am very encouraged. I will graduate from rehabilitation to home on Friday.
                    Again, I need to say how happy I am with the surgery and outcome. So, if you have degenerative scoliosis, the changes are so great!
                    Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Wow! It's so good to read that Susan! And so early out. Very happy for you!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

What a great post from you, Susan! This is the most difficult time in the recovery and you are handling it like a champ! I'm so glad you feel better already than before your surgery. Wait until you're further down the road to full recovery! Aren't you proud of yourself for having the courage to have this surgery?
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Susan, that's great!!! Keep us posted on your progress.
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                            if you have degenerative scoliosis, the changes are so great!
                            Susan
                            I agree. My pain scale in my lumbar went from 10 to 0. I never expected these kinds of results......

Everyday things will get better Susan. Just a little bit each day....

You did it! Congratulations!

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I am so happy for you, Susan!
                              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                                Collapsed lung? I take it they re-inflated it?

Did you realize you wrote "deceasing" back pain? As in the pain is on it's way to being deceased! No more pain! Let's hope surgery killed the back pain for you. :-)

Best,
                                Evelyn
                                I am getting caught up on life from the last 3 weeks. Thanks Evelyn for your email. Everything over the past 3 weeks was written in a drug induced fog, so hard to say what I really thought that I was trying to write. The atelectasis was just a very small area and I used a pressure breathing machine to expand my lung. They called 2 "rapid response codes" on me for the 2 episodes of chest pain.

I had a lot of pain intermittently before surgery, and that pain is gone. After surgery, that here were a few times when they couldn't control my pain. Then I was overdosed and they had to give me Narcan. It is a fine balance between relieving pain and overdosing.

Thanks for your support. Susan

Comment

Working...
                                X