Susan's surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu on 19 and 22 March, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susan,
    It sounds like everything went well. As usual, your posts always put a smile on my face. I love your sense of humor.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Glad that everything is going OK
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
        My lower abdomen looks like a road map!
        I have Route 5 which runs from my xiphoid process south down around Sacramento,(Belly button) then down to my Tijuana with no east west spurs. All my roads run North, South and down around LA, its 5 lanes in each direction. Speed limits run fast except down in Tijuana.

(smiley face)

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
          Susan--
          So glad the hernia surgery is behind you and sounds very successful--and a tummy tuck--awesome, I want that! I totally remember the girdles in high school and hose. Yuk! Before a daughter's wedding a couple years back, my girls thought I should try the miracle of spanx. I thought I might have to call 911 to get me out. Was half way in and couldn't get it on or off--giant fused spine doesn't help--do not try this at home or a dressing room in JC Penney's .
          Take care and good luck with healing and that flat stomach! Janet
          Janet, I tried on 3 pairs of Spanx in Nordstrom's Rack on the day before my surgery and like you said.....I could not get the last pair off! Seconding the sage advice above, if you have a full fusion, do not try on Spanx or you might wear them for the remainder of your uncomfortable life! I figured that the surgeon could cut them off in the OR. Would that have been embarrassing? My general surgeon does not have a senses of humor. He would probably just think I am weird.
          Susan, sans menopausal baby!
          Last edited by susancook; 03-21-2014, 06:15 PM.
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Glad I'm not the only one who couldn't deal with those things! I like Ed's map info too! But still wait to hear of his experimentation with Spanx. Might have to start a new thread. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Susan, so glad your surgery went well and you are rid of that menopausal baby.
              You always make me laugh. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
              Marianne
              rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
              Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
              T11-L5
              Decompression with multiple discectomies
              Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
              Osteotomies and local bone grafting
              Revision Feb.22, 2018
              Replaced rods
              Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
              Used BPM to help with fusing
              Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

• Originally posted by Marianne View Post
                Susan, so glad your surgery went well and you are rid of that menopausal baby.
                You always make me laugh. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
                Thanks for the support! My daughter asked if I took "before" pictures of my menopausal baby and I laughed! I actually tried to take pictures but they looked awful! I can't wait for the swelling to go down so that I know what I will look like sans baby. My drains continue to pull fluid off of the surgical site, but the amount is gradually decreasing. I am paranoid about having this surgery fail, so every time that I get a twinge, I have a small panic attack.

Here's hoping that I heal....Susan, sans menopausal baby
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

• Hi Susan,

I've been reading of your surgery and I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I hope you are feeling better every day! It must feel so good to not have to wait on this surgery any longer. Your body can finally get over that last hump and begin healing.

-Olivia
                  Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
                  Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
                  Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

• Hi Susan,

So glad that all went well and that you are on the road to recovery. Are you home yet? That sounds like one huge hernia--I am sure you're glad to be rid of it.

Take care,
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Yes, Gayle, the entire incision plus opened. There was a lot of tissue that had limited blood supply, so not viable for use to close the hernia, so it had to be cut off. I'm thinkin' maybe I lost some weight on that! I saw my surgeon's partner (my first consult that I decided not to go with) and he said that the surgery was very complicated. I had "multiple component separation"....unsure what that means. I had drains removed yesterday, so am recovering from that. I am fine until I try to get up. Ouch! Dilaudid doesn't help that pain.

Looking in the mirror probably does not predict a final outcome, so I am hopeful for improvement. My lower abdomen is so-o-o-o much flatter than it was pre-surgery. Now I am praying that this was the final fix on the hernia. I will wear my "abdominal binder" which the surgeon says improves chances of healing. I asked him when I could have confidence that this surgery was successful and he said, "5 Years". Seems like a long time to wear my girdle, but what else do I have to do?

Susan and her new girdle

Comment

• Bye, bye menopausal baby! Happy to hear your surgery is over & you're on the road to recovery! You've got that wonderful trip to look forward to, as you're healing!

Take care!
                        Peg
                        61 yrs old
                        75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                        T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                        Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
                          Yes, Gayle, the entire incision plus opened. There was a lot of tissue that had limited blood supply, so not viable for use to close the hernia, so it had to be cut off. I'm thinkin' maybe I lost some weight on that! I saw my surgeon's partner (my first consult that I decided not to go with) and he said that the surgery was very complicated. I had "multiple component separation"....unsure what that means. I had drains removed yesterday, so am recovering from that. I am fine until I try to get up. Ouch! Dilaudid doesn't help that pain.

Looking in the mirror probably does not predict a final outcome, so I am hopeful for improvement. My lower abdomen is so-o-o-o much flatter than it was pre-surgery. Now I am praying that this was the final fix on the hernia. I will wear my "abdominal binder" which the surgeon says improves chances of healing. I asked him when I could have confidence that this surgery was successful and he said, "5 Years". Seems like a long time to wear my girdle, but what else do I have to do?

Susan and her new girdle
                          My question, Susan, is what the heck did they do to you when you had your anterior surgery that left you with such a bad abdominal outcome? Was it fine and then just split open one day?

I'm so happy that your surgery was successful and is DONE. You have such a positive attitude about things and a funny way of talking about things that may embarrass other people! LOL

Why do you have to wear a girdle for FIVE years? Usually soft tissue surgeries don't take that long to heal. But I would certainly follow doctor's orders so as not to have to repeat any of this! I'm sure you look like a slim, young girl now! LOL
                          Boy! I can only imagine how insecure you will feel after five years of wearing a girdle. I can imagine a very weak feeling. I remember after my c-section, the first time I got up to go to the bathroom I felt like my guts were going to fall out, literally! It was a horrible feeling. I held on to that little pouch with my hand or a pillow for about two weeks. Then it healed and I don't feel that way anymore. Although, the bikini cut made a weird bump below the incision that never did go away and I'm as skinny as a rail. It's not huge, but if I get the least bit bloated it seems to puff out more.

Well, at least we have these surgeries available to us to keep us, and in my case my son, healthy!

Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery.
                          Be happy!
                          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

• Rohrer...

That weird bump is probably an incisional hernia. They're fairly common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incisional_hernia

I've always thought mine looks like a bratwurst.

--Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                              Rohrer...

That weird bump is probably an incisional hernia. They're fairly common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incisional_hernia

I've always thought mine looks like a bratwurst.

--Linda
                              You have a bikini line scar, too? I know the doctor said when he was stitching me together that the tissues were just falling apart and tearing. He said I ended up with about half the normal amount of suturing under the skin. He did a running stitch to hold the skin together. It kind of upsets me because no matter how "in shape" I get my abdominals (I had a six-pack) by the time my son was 3, "it" was still there. It sits right where many underwear want to sit. I try not to get underwear that sit there, but they are hard to find. It looks horrid on profile on all of my x-rays. Maybe I'm too vain. It doesn't matter how thin I am, either. I'm too thin right now. It's not AS bad, but it's still there. But, I can say my son was worth it!
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                                My question, Susan, is what the heck did they do to you when you had your anterior surgery that left you with such a bad abdominal outcome? Was it fine and then just split open one day?

I'm so happy that your surgery was successful and is DONE. You have such a positive attitude about things and a funny way of talking about things that may embarrass other people! LOL

Why do you have to wear a girdle for FIVE years? Usually soft tissue surgeries don't take that long to heal. But I would certainly follow doctor's orders so as not to have to repeat any of this! I'm sure you look like a slim, young girl now! LOL
                                Boy! I can only imagine how insecure you will feel after five years of wearing a girdle. I can imagine a very weak feeling. I remember after my c-section, the first time I got up to go to the bathroom I felt like my guts were going to fall out, literally! It was a horrible feeling. I held on to that little pouch with my hand or a pillow for about two weeks. Then it healed and I don't feel that way anymore. Although, the bikini cut made a weird bump below the incision that never did go away and I'm as skinny as a rail. It's not huge, but if I get the least bit bloated it seems to puff out more.

Well, at least we have these surgeries available to us to keep us, and in my case my son, healthy!

Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery.
                                Re: incisional hernia, at about 2 months I had a severe burning sensation in my LLQ. About a week later, I noticed that my umbilicus was on the R side of my abdomen and I had a bulge that progressively increased. The surgeon did not give a reason for the hernia occurring.

Unsure how long I need to wear the girdle. Maybe 6 weeks or so, but I will check with the surgeon.

Thanks for the support. Susan and her snazzy girdle

Comment

Working...
                                X