Susan's surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu on 19 and 22 March, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling ready for surgery!

I had a pre-op appointment w/ Dr. Hu today. She answered many questions and was her usual informative and supportive self. I have never seen a side view on x-ray of my kyphosis. She took additional x-rays and showed me and I almost fell over! It looks terrible! She measured it at 60 degrees. I always thought that I protruded on my back and looked abnormal, but the x-ray was really distressing. The resident and Dr. Hu talked with me about trying to straighten it an she is unsure how much correction she can get. She said that she may have to remove a rib and maybe I'll have a chest tube. The resident was really concerned about my +11 something coronal balance, a change that I noticed in June. The resident wants to do a muscle biopsy as he thinks that it is really abnormal to change that quickly. I asked him what muscle diseases he was considering and he just said that there were many diseases.

Dr. Hu asked me how I was doing and I said, "great!" She said that nobody has ever said that before! I amazingly am feeling very good about everything and look forward to fixing my back. I am not afraid of the surgery and figure that the pharmacist and anesthesiologist will figure out the pain meds. One month ago, I ever thought, ever so briefly about canceling surgery. After seeing the x-rays today, I am very convinced that I am in the right place with the right surgeon I feel very proactive and very ready. I am actually looking forward to surgery and less pain.....sometime in the future, anyway! My right leg is very painful when I walk and I so hope that the pain will go away after surgery. I am motivated!

Thank you to everyone that has been so supportive. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am so glad that everything has fallen into place.

Tomorrow morning as we head to the hospital, I might be singing a different tune, but right now, I have phenomenal confidence. Bring it on! Susan
    Last edited by susancook; 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM.
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

That's great to hear. You won't be any different tomorrow Susan, just anxious to get the show on the road. Which really is the best way to be.

Best wishes for a great correction and a smooth ride through recovery. You're nearly there!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

You are in my prayers.
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi Susan,

I don't know if you'll see this before you go into surgery today or not, but I just wanted to wish you well. It sounds like your attitude and frame of mind are fantastic, and you're ready! May you have smooth, uneventful surgeries and recovery, as fast and pain-free as possible, so you can get back to doing all the things you love! : o )

Comment

Susan,
            I will be praying that your surgery goes well and you will be pain free after the healing time. God Bless.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Anxious to hear how Susan is doing after the first day.

Tamena
              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Susan--
                Today is the day! Many prayers and positive thoughts for both days of your surgery and a strong recovery! Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Susan's First Surgery

Susan's surgery went very well per Dr Hu.
                  She is doing much better today compared to last night. She had a lot of pain and had low O2 levels yesterday. She received two units of blood and got her pain under control thus she seems to be doing very well now 24 hrs after surgery.
                  Main event is Friday for day 2 surgery.

Mark Cooksey
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thank you Mark for updating us. I have been checking hourly to see how she was doing. Keep us posted and let her know many are praying and rooting her on from a far.

Tamena
                    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Thanks Mark! It's so good to hear she's doing ok and she's halfway there. Unfortunately I'm going away for four days tomorrow so I'm going to have to wait a while to hear how she is after her second surgery. Thinking of her and barracking for her from afar!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you for the update, Mark. I really appreciate it. I've been wondering how Susan is doing. I recall being on oxygen for a couple days after my surgery and had very low blood pressure, which seems to be normal for a lot of patients. I'm glad her pain is under control. I'm keeping Susan in prayer.
                        1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
                        2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
                        2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
                        2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
                        2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
                        At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
                        Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
                        Post op x-ray

Comment

Glad that she is doing better. Please let her know that she is in my prayers
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thank you Mark for keeping us updated. Say hi to Susan and good luck. I wish I could be more active, but I had some complications and am back into local hospital.
                            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Yes, thank you for the update. Let her know she's in my thoughts and prayers-- and you are as well. It's quite a time when you're going through this. So glad she's doing a little better now. Take care of yourself also and get some sleep when you can. You'll need to stay strong for her.
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

You can do it!!!

Thank-you Mark for letting everyone know what's going on. She seems like a strong lady (in body and mind)! My thoughts and prayer are with her and you too, as I know it's hard to watch our loved ones going through this. But I was told to focus on the prize at the end of it all!! Tell her "hi" from Linda!
                                God Bless you both!
                                Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                                Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                                This started adult onset scoliosis
                                July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                                Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                                May 30th 2013 revision
                                May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                                May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X