No announcement yet.

Susan's surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu on 19 and 22 March, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susan--I am glad everything is alright. It proves we are strong and do not fall apart too easy. But enough falling!Stay well'Jackie
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

• Denervation of cervical 3, 4, and 5

I am having the pre-procedure from denervation or rhizotomy. Apparently I need to have 2 test MBBs before the real thing. I have had denervations before in my lumbar and thoracic area and found the procedures very painful. Anyone have a cervical denervation done before? If so, what kind of meds did they use for pain relief during the procedure? I am VERY worried about the pain with another denervation as the last one was awful!
      Susan
      Last edited by susancook; 11-24-2013, 12:01 AM.
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Anyone have a denervation and what drugs helped with the procedure?

I had 2 MBBs medial branch blocks done this last week with great relief. Dr. Chen must come from the school of no pain no gain. She will hopefully schedule the denervation in the next 2 weeks.

I have also had left sided butt pain like it would be with sciatic pain....but as I understand it, I can't have that with the fusion. Dr. Chen will do an SI joint injection of steroid and lidocaine to ease that pain.

Like I said above, the last denervation before my fusion was a killer. What drugs has anyone had that worked to decrease the procedure pain?

Thanks for your help.

Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

• A realization about post spinal recovery and great perspective on scar

I guess that I am somewhat slow, but I have gradually come to the understanding that the recovery, at least for me and maybe for some other older persons really does take 1-2 years. When I look at the enormous scar on my back and figure all of the realignments that had to happen, why should I expect to be healed in 8 months? I'm impatient. Got to get some patience. I want it now!

Susan

ED, you will especially appreciate this one. A friend of my 35 year old sons saw my entire back scar and said, "Cool! Now your buttcrack runs all the way to your neck!" Sort of gives you a new perspective on your scar. ;+}
          Last edited by susancook; 11-24-2013, 06:22 AM. Reason: More thoughts from an addled mind.......

Comment

• That is funny

Susan,

I have to say that I had a good laugh with your son's friend's comment about your scar. Every year my husband and I have a New Year's Day get together with our closest friends to start the year off on a good note. He told my best friend that I would be revealing my scar this coming New Year's Day. Not!!!!!

Anyway, I just had my 11 month checkup with my doctor. Since some of my vertebrae were fused on their own, I do not have any curve in my lower back, so I don't stand as naturally as most people. With that said, I am pleased to say that I will not being seeing my doctor until next year. My gait is becoming more natural and I don't believe I look like an 80 year old who cannot stand up straight or walk with a load in her pants any more.
            Yes, it does take a long time to recover, for us mature women, but I have to say that so far, so good.

Happy Thanksgiving to all on this forum. You have all given me great support and I am ever so great foul for that.

Libby

Comment

• Thanksgiving, Buttcracks, us older folks, getting better

Libby

Kether's [my son's friend's name] comment summarizes it well. Show and tell of your scar is a personal thing and some people just go with it and other find that they do not need to make a public statement. Congratulations on a great 1 year checkup!

I always fear that some of us older folks will look at the recovery of some of the younger ones and compare themselves. I love the teen who gave a piano concert at 3 weeks postop. It takes a good 1-2 years for healing when you are older due to so many aging factors. On our side, we have sometimes a little more patience and we have seen that things sometimes just work out given enough time.

Have a great Thanksgiving. I am very grateful for all that I have been given this year and like you, I just keep getting better!

Susan

Comment

• I just saw your son's friend's comment, that your butt-crack goes all the way to your neck. <hysterical laughter>

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post

"Cool! Now your buttcrack runs all the way to your neck!"
                  He must be a Beavis and Butthead fan!......and since the holidays are here, I have my stulelog DVD in again, listening to
                  Tchaikovsky’s “Buttcracker”.....Dit dit dit dit, dum dum , da da da, da da da, da da da, da dit da dit da.....

Smiley face

Recovery for us buttcracker’s takes 2 years.

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• There should be a law!

There should be a law against people with less than a year recovery from a spinal fusion cooking Thanksgiving Family Dinner! What was I thinking? First, it started with shopping for six hours for everything for dinner.....then the 2 day food preparation. By the time that dinner rolled around last night, I had to put on my best game face and eat dinner. The sweet potatoes were still on top of the toaster over as I was too tired to makes sweet potatoes with orange sauce. I was totally wiped out! Today the muscles in my thoracic area are sore. Next year, we are doing take-out.
                    Hope that everyone had a better Thanksgiving than I did. The leftovers are awesome, however.
                    Susan

Comment

• Hi Susan,

Sorry to hear you overdid things…have you ever eaten at Huber's Cafe in Portland? It's got hands down the very best traditional turkey dinner I've had in a restaurant. They also have the most incredible Spanish Coffee you've ever had, with a flashy table side show when they prepare it. We would love to go there for Thanksgiving dinner but would have to stay in Portland in hotel. If you call soon you might be able to reserve for next Thanksgiving--it is that popular!

Rest up,
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                        Hi Susan,

Sorry to hear you overdid things…have you ever eaten at Huber's Cafe in Portland? It's got hands down the very best traditional turkey dinner I've had in a restaurant. They also have the most incredible Spanish Coffee you've ever had, with a flashy table side show when they prepare it. We would love to go there for Thanksgiving dinner but would have to stay in Portland in hotel. If you call soon you might be able to reserve for next Thanksgiving--it is that popular!

Rest up,
                        An excellent idea! I have had Spanish coffees there.....awesome! I greatly underestimated the time and energy that it took to make dinner! To quote myself earlier, "what was I thinking?" Part of the problem is being in the zone of not being in much pain AND being fully healed.

Hope that you had a great Thanksgiving! Susan

Comment

• I hope you didn't lift that turkey in and out of the oven and had Mark to do that. Feel better soon!
                          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Originally posted by Irina View Post
                            I hope you didn't lift that turkey in and out of the oven and had Mark to do that. Feel better soon!
                            It was a 22# smoked turkey and yes, Mark did remove it from the oven. Thanks for your well wishes. I hope that you had a wonderful holiday! Susan

Comment

• Bob Evans

I haven't had my surgery, yet . . .but, we ordered from Bob Evans! There were only 5 of us & my husband has been in bad shape, awaiting cervical surgery, dec. 9. I had mixed feelings between guilt & relief. Relief won out!

I did go Black Friday shopping with my daughter & her in-laws. I go for the experience, with no expectations! I'm also the official 'seated' shopping bag watcher!

Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving!

Susan: take some time to recover & figure out how to lighten the tasks that come with Christmas, while still enjoying your family! I think that's a skill we all have to work on!
                              Peg
                              61 yrs old
                              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Peg, I have decided that guilt is over-rated. We just need to survive with a smile. Before surgery, I knew where every chair was in every mall around here. And when there was not a chair, I stretched out on the floor. I usually had an ice bag with me and would go into McDonalds and fill the ice bag. Ice on my lower back was awesome relief! My grand kids and daughter carried my stuff. My husband even carried my purse as it was difficult to even carry that much weight.

Wish your husband good luck from me. You need to get some help when he comes home from the hospital so you don't wear yourself out. Keep doing your flexibility exercises and eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Nutrition is important in healing. We have rescued others when they needed help, so now is the time to call in the help. It is difficult for me to do that as I am used to doing for others and being independent. I am the helper and don't ask for help. I need to listen to my own advice!

Take care and have a great holiday! Susan

Comment

Working...
                                X