Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

• Rohrer & Susan,
      I am thinking about both of you and hope that your problems can be resolved.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Another day at the hospital and balance/strength in legs is about the same. No answer yet and will hopefully have a Neuro consult tomorrow as the docs that are working with me have just about ruled out all that they know. Had a pity party at 5 AM when I could not walk at all to get on the beside commode. Half a box of Kleenex later, I resurrected what small amount of dignity that I had remaining and disposed of my mound of soaked tissues.

I will post tomorrow if someone has a magical diagnosis.

Had a shower tonight. I thought that the MA would sit me in the shower chair, set me up with everything, and stand outside while I sit and clean up. Oh, no. She washed me off like a 1971 off road Ford Mustang in a $2.00 car wash. Am I clean!

Susan....scared, worried, and frustrated
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
          Susan,
          I am also having trouble with my legs. It started suddenly and I have good days and bad days. The bad days are rough and I really should have a walker for those days. But my leg problem can crop up without warning. For instance, I walked into the doctor's office for my routine injections and could barely walk when I left. I wanted the doctor to see this in action. I had a bad day and did a walk-in at the clinic so the nurse could see it. I was hoping the doc could spare 10 seconds of his time between patients just to see it, but he couldn't. It didn't matter, he saw it the next week. It is though I have 20# weights strapped to my ankles and my feet just drag and I have to swing my hips to take steps. I don't feel weight on my legs, but that's how a person with weights would have to walk. It's kind of scary for me. They are in process of trying to figure it out. All of my DNA tests have not come back, yet. By the time my father started having serious problems with his legs, he didn't live but about 10 years more. I'm only 45. I'd like to see more than 55 years of age. Hopefully they can figure things out for you and me both.

At least with you, it's not a neuromuscular degenerative disease. Hopefully, they will figure out if there is some kind of nerve blockage and be able to help you. My balance is terrible, too. We're all a mess. Get better soon!

(((HUGS)))
          Rohrer, wishing you the best as you go through the diagnosis process. Mess just about describes it. It is frustrating for me to try to send the signal to my leg to raise up, only to observe it sitting there.

Hugs to you also, Susan....great to have a buddy going through this, but sad that both of us are in similar boats
          Last edited by susancook; 08-10-2014, 02:05 AM.
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
            She washed me off like a 1971 off road Ford Mustang in a $2.00 car wash.
            With a pressure washer? Did you get the wax for the $2? If not, insist on it the next time.

Susan, Rohrer, at least you guys have a sense of humor in all of this.....lets hope this all passes quickly....

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Hugs

Sending prayers & hugs to Susan & Rohrer. . . You've been on my mind all day. May you both be blessed with a quick diagnosis, a treatable outcome and a fast recovery.
              Peg
              61 yrs old
              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• So sorry to learn you are in the hospital, Susan. I hope it is not for long. And I hope you and Rohrer are both able to find healing from these leg/nerve issues, and a quick diagnosis. I'm sure it is frightening and frustrating. Keeping you in my thoughts.
                Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
                Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
                Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

• "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...."

Thanks, Spring chicken for your supportive note.

Short note...ended up not to be so short....

The Cliff's Notes version:
                  Saw Internal Med at OHSU for appointment for 2 weeks of progressive lower extremity weakness at 11 am
                  Sent to ER, a dozen or more ambulances and 4 helicopters ahead of me, and a dozen walking wounded
                  ahead of me in line.... One meltdown by me screaming at receptionist that I was tried of waiting
                  Read that "so,so,so scared"
                  2000 (or 8 PM for you non-military types).....Saw ER doctor
                  MRI done "boy, you have a lot of hardware"
                  Labs drawn
                  Admitted to OHSU hospital at 0200
                  Crawled into bed, then 5 minutes later, exam by Sleepy Intern ( count 4 yawns) and med student.

Fri and Sat progressively weaker
                  At least 8 Neuro exams, more labs
                  Using walker, can walk 8 steps with 2 helpers TOPS

Sunday:
                  Woke up at 0730 with NO leg movement bilaterally, (profanity deleted here)
                  Cried, mentally chose paraplegic wheelchair color and accessories
                  3 physicians separately about 20 minutes apart do Neuro exams: no lower extremity movement, cried during exams
                  Sent family text memo sharing the bad news; called husband tearfully
                  Ordered breakfast, told kitchen receptionist: "Make breakfast really good because I am having the worst day of life..."
                  Friend preplanned to bring Sunday pastries, she texts that 5 yo daughter had meltdown, would be late
                  I text back, "no leg movement, expletive, bring new legs"
                  Friend gives big big long hug, big mutual cry, no lower extremity movement.....
                  Cranked bed up to 70 degrees to sit up, eat pastries
                  We talked for 30 minutes
                  Now about 1000am, paraplegic for 3 long hours
                  She did a massage of my legs which felt awesome as I still had sensation
                  We look down at my R foot....it is moving slightly....just R foot, we cheer.....
                  Then no further movement....

Internal Med team(female Attending, with gaggle of Residents, interns, med student)
                  Tell them what we saw.
                  No movement, then....
                  1 minute later R foot moves and gradually over next minute, Bil weak legs but movement returns....awesome!

X-rays and labs ordered & done.
                  CT, myelogram with contrast, bone biopsy, and spinal tap (call that "fun", I am certain) being planned for Monday....not necessarily in that order, but nobody asked me....

Nobody knows why....and I am keeping my bed at 70 degree angle.....and mentally cancelled paraplegic wheelchair.

Susan.......this has been the longest 4 days of my entire life!

PS: 2 best conversations of the day:

1). Susan after noting 2 totally paralyzed legs and 30 minute cry (to kitchen staff) shouting into phone while ordering breakfast: "and you better made that breakfast & coffee really hot because I am having the WORST day of my entire life!" Silence on other end of phone and small voice finally says very quietly, "well, OK"....

2) Very serious looking Attending Neurologist, having a Bad Hair Day, walks in hospital room with gaggle of R, I, MS &
                  addresses me: "How are you today?"
                  Me: Sobbing out of control, "Terrible! I cannot move my legs!"
                  Serious Lady Neurologist w/ BHD: "Swing your legs over the side of the bed and we will check them".
                  So, I laid in the bed and stared at my legs, hoping that I could will them to move....and thinking to myself, "what part
                  of that statement didn't she get?"
                  Silence....no Resident, Intern, or Medical Student moved.
                  SLN with BHD: "Can you try to do that?"
                  Me still willing totally still legs to do something: "Can't you see them moving?"
                  Last edited by susancook; 08-10-2014, 10:46 PM. Reason: My life passed before me on the last 4 days

Comment

• This is awful!

Susan! Susan! Susan!~~~ oh my I havn't been on here for a while (had a hysterectomy) . I was just shocked when I saw what has been going on with you! Oh I feel so bad for you. The last I know you were having some pain issues in the pelvic screw area. But how did it go from that to this? I feel your fear~~ and anxiety. You keep us posted and I'll keep you in my prayers. Warmest wishes for an answer and a treatmeant to make you walk again!!
                    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                    This started adult onset scoliosis
                    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                    May 30th 2013 revision
                    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Susan, dear, I am so sorry! I hope tomorrow will be a better day and doctors figure out what's causing this problem. I am so worried about you! Please, keep us posted.
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Thanks Everyone, I am numb about today and both looking forward to and fear tomorrow. Little compares to my experience of being a paraplegic....if only for a couple of very long hours today. My legs did not move at all. Super scary. When I looked at the long list of procedures tomorrow, I was....or better yet am pretty overwhelmed. I fell 4 times in the past week when I lost balance and could not move my feet quickly enough to catch myself while walking at a snail pace. All were caught by a wall or another person. I drove to the doctor on Thursday.
                        I will carry your good luck wishes with me tomorrow. Susan

Ed, I will try to find some humor in tomorrow's marathon procedure schedule. It may not be very funny ;+{
                        Last edited by susancook; 08-11-2014, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                          With a pressure washer? Did you get the wax for the $2? If not, insist on it the next time.

Susan, Rohrer, at least you guys have a sense of humor in all of this.....lets hope this all passes quickly....

Ed
                          I was laughing so hard that I don't remember if I got the wax job or not? Oh, you're talking about a Brazilian wax. Just checked....guess that I didn't.
                          Susan

Comment

• Oh no, what an experience you are going through! I am so sorry to hear it. Please keep us posted on your tests today and best of luck with them. I'm glad you have good friends to lean on right now (and bring pastries). Hope you are out of there very soon.
                            Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
                            Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
                            Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

• Susan,
                              Oh I hope they figure out what's causing your leg paralysis tomorrow!!!

Thank you everyone for your well wishes for me on Susan's thread! I hope you don't mind, Susan.
                              I can still walk. Yesterday was a good day and if I'm hanging on to something like a grocery cart I walk even better.

Susan, this has to be temporary for you. I'm sure they'll figure it out. I'm not so sure in my case. My dad died after his legs started to fail. I was positive that he had ALS. He had all the symptoms. But my symptoms are coming at a MUCH younger age...typical for dystrophic diseases. But muscle biopsies showed no dystrophy, at least in the deltoid muscle.

I'm optimistic for you. I really am! It sounds like a pinched spinal cord to me. They can do something about that.
                              Mine is so much more evasive. Although I'm having a lumbar and pelvic MRI on Wednesday. They want to look at the sacral nerves as well as the lumbar. I'm sure they'll be looking at that and much more on you tomorrow.

Please keep us updated.

Ed, the only attitude to have is to be positive. The alternative is to lay down and die, which I don't plan on doing!
                              Susan, it may be morbid to find it a little amusing that you were thinking of picking out scooter colors, but that gives me some plans, too! Although I'll use a walker first. Maybe I'll be the only one in town with a hot pink and purple "sparkly" walker! :-) I'll definitely need it when the snow and ice come!

Hang in there. More hugs coming your way. You know I would have helped you dine ever so graciously on those pastries!
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Susan, I am praying for you.
                                Hope you get some good news soon

Melissa
                                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...