Susan's surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu on 19 and 22 March, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just out from hiding in my hole

Greetings from a skilled nursing facility near Portland! I was overwhelmed by life and all that has been going on.

Well, I just had my 3rd spinal surgery with Drs. Hart and Hiratzka. I went into surgery still having tons of unanswered questions, but I. Realized that the doctors had lots of questions also. I had 5 pedicle screws that showed lucency and a fractured rod at T10.

The surgery was estimated to be 10 hours, but turned into 12.5. Hours. Dr. Hart/Hiratzka replaced much of my hardware. They said that the lumbar hardware looked good. Before the surgery, Dr. Hart said that he would do "everything" to improve my chances of success, including postop neck brace, body brace, and antibiotics. Well, he took 5-6 cultures and one of them was positive, growing out "Proiorobaterium Acnes". It is a gram positive bacteria that is ubiquitous in the environment. It is found in sebum. So, now I am on daily IV antibiotics.

The SNF is OK. I have lost some strength after surgery. I was strong and able to walk pretty well with crutches before surgery.

I remember telling Irina after we both completed our first surgeries, "I am so glad that we are not in the group of people that need to have another surgery". What was I thinking?

Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Susan, you sound pretty good. Are you up and walking now.....or at least standing?

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Dear Susan - It is SO GOOD to hear from you. Irina has kept us posted a bit, but how wonderful to have you actually posting again yourself. Praying that your strength will return as you work at it there at the SNF and beyond, and that all the problems will remain in your past. It is good that they found the problems (at last!) and did the corrective surgery. I know you have a recovery time ahead of you, but you are such a strong, determined person that you will take it one day at a time and make it work out. Sending love, hugs, and prayers your way.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Susan,

I think that everyone on this board has been terribly worried about you since you went in for surgery. I'm so glad it is behind you now and you can get on with your life. I hope you are reasonably comfortable and make good progress with your recovery. Sounds like Dr Hart is taking good care of you.
          Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
          ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
          Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
          Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

• Susan,
            It is so good to hear from you.
            I am glad that you seem to be doing ok
            You are in my prayers
            God bless
            Melissa
            Melissa
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• So, so good to read your post, Susan! I know you're giving 100% to recovery. Hugs & prayers for you!
              Peg
              61 yrs old
              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Good to hear from you Susan, sounds like they finally have your problems taken care of and you seem in good spirits.
                Let's hope for speedy recovery.
                Will be thinking of you.
                Marianne
                rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
                Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
                T11-L5
                Decompression with multiple discectomies
                Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
                Osteotomies and local bone grafting
                Revision Feb.22, 2018
                Replaced rods
                Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
                Used BPM to help with fusing
                Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Susan, you sound pretty good. Are you up and walking now.....or at least standing?

Ed
                  Ed, walking some with walker. Trying to improve my attitude. I just want to get back into the mainstream of life.
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

• Everyone: Thanks for your kind thoughts and good wishes. I am still optimistic that I will be back in the mainstream of life.
                    Susan

Comment

• Susan,
                      It is so good to hear from you. I know it has to be extremely difficult to keep that positive attitude, but if anyone can do it, you can! I hate that you have had so many setbacks, but hopefully, everything has been resolved and you can get back to 100 per cent.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Susan,

I hope you heal well this time. Yes, that bacteria is found all over our skin. That's where the word "acne" comes from whether we suffer from acne or not...it lurks!

It kind of sounds like Dr. Hart should have been your doc to start with, but hindsight is 20/20 and I totally understand why you chose Dr. Hu. These problem could occur with any doctor.

I just want to say welcome to the walker club! Yep, my 46 y/o body is in need of assistance. Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of yours soon enough. For me, I don't like the colors of the standard walker with a seat (the kind I use). They are either burgundy or black. Mine is burgundy. It was given to me by a neighbor whose wife passed away rather quickly (only six years!) from Parkinson's Disease. Needless to say, she didn't use it much at all since she became bedridden rather quickly. It's sad, but he really wanted me to have it so it didn't go to waste. My plan is to "bling" it out by dismantling it and painting it purple and hot pink. Then I'm going to paint DNA chains all over it and bling the nucleotides with color coordinated sequins representing the 4 nucleotides. I might throw an RNA chain in there to see who notices! hee hee I'll bet NO ONE will. ;-) If I'm going to go down hill with speediness, I might as well have a cool ride doing it!

I wish you all the best and have a speedy recovery so you can get home to your hubby! Let us know when you leave the walker club!

Hugs,
                        Rohrer

PS If you want to see how I'm doing, you can see my thread "I have some imaging CD's".

Chow!
                        Be happy!
                        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
                          Ed, walking some with walker. Trying to improve my attitude. I just want to get back into the mainstream of life.
                          Susan
                          You will. You have a good reason to have a positive attitude now that you are all fixed up....

The walking might be a chore......but its something we have to do while holding our heads up, and smiling at the same time. The smiling is more important than the walking.

Your rehabilitation is highly dependent on your optimism. It as been proven that positive moods modulate immune and endocrine
                          function, thereby enhancing surgical recovery. Stress delays wound repair. Control emotions.
                          http://pni.osumc.edu/KG%20Publicatio...pdf%29/124.pdf

After my scoli surgeries, I had my shoulder re-built and gall bladder removed and since calming down, I walked in with a zero stress and anxiety level and my recoveries on these procedures were a snap. It made a huge difference by lowering my anxiety through positive attitude.

Try to divert your thoughts away from emotional and physical pain....do it any way you can, it works. That’s why the comedy and laughter is so important.

You can do this.

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
                            Well, he took 5-6 cultures and one of them was positive, growing out "Proiorobaterium Acnes". It is a gram positive bacteria that is ubiquitous in the environment. It is found in sebum. So, now I am on daily IV antibiotics.

Susan
                            When I read this, all I could think of is how on tv, the surgeons are always getting their brow mopped during a tough surgery by the nurse. Now I understand why - dripping sweat into your patient can cause infection. I can definitely imagine during your previous surgery that the surgeons were sweating!
                            Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
                            ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
                            Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
                            Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

• I am in awe of your attitude Susan, really glad you are doing ok!

Sending you positive vibes *pew, pew!*
                              30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                              2005 - T50, L31
                              bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                              2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                              Post - op curve ~35

Comment

• So good to hear from you. God bless you this Easter with all positive things.
                                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                                Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                                To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                                Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                                Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                                Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                                Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                                Osteotomy

Comment

Working...
                                X