Susan's surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu on 19 and 22 March, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    You will. You have a good reason to have a positive attitude now that you are all fixed up....

The walking might be a chore......but its something we have to do while holding our heads up, and smiling at the same time. The smiling is more important than the walking.

Your rehabilitation is highly dependent on your optimism. It as been proven that positive moods modulate immune and endocrine
    function, thereby enhancing surgical recovery. Stress delays wound repair. Control emotions.
    http://pni.osumc.edu/KG%20Publicatio...pdf%29/124.pdf

After my scoli surgeries, I had my shoulder re-built and gall bladder removed and since calming down, I walked in with a zero stress and anxiety level and my recoveries on these procedures were a snap. It made a huge difference by lowering my anxiety through positive attitude.

Try to divert your thoughts away from emotional and physical pain....do it any way you can, it works. That’s why the comedy and laughter is so important.

You can do this.

Ed
    Great article! Thanks for sharing it.

So, how does a person acquire a positive attitude, less anxiety, and less "catastrophizing". Loan me about 10 pounds, will you?

Susan

Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      Susan,

I hope you heal well this time. Yes, that bacteria is found all over our skin. That's where the word "acne" comes from whether we suffer from acne or not...it lurks!

It kind of sounds like Dr. Hart should have been your doc to start with, but hindsight is 20/20 and I totally understand why you chose Dr. Hu. These problem could occur with any doctor.

I just want to say welcome to the walker club! Yep, my 46 y/o body is in need of assistance. Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of yours soon enough. For me, I don't like the colors of the standard walker with a seat (the kind I use). They are either burgundy or black. Mine is burgundy. It was given to me by a neighbor whose wife passed away rather quickly (only six years!) from Parkinson's Disease. Needless to say, she didn't use it much at all since she became bedridden rather quickly. It's sad, but he really wanted me to have it so it didn't go to waste. My plan is to "bling" it out by dismantling it and painting it purple and hot pink. Then I'm going to paint DNA chains all over it and bling the nucleotides with color coordinated sequins representing the 4 nucleotides. I might throw an RNA chain in there to see who notices! hee hee I'll bet NO ONE will. ;-) If I'm going to go down hill with speediness, I might as well have a cool ride doing it!

I wish you all the best and have a speedy recovery so you can get home to your hubby! Let us know when you leave the walker club!

Hugs,
      Rohrer

PS If you want to see how I'm doing, you can see my thread "I have some imaging CD's".

Chow!
      Rohrer, my grandchildren started to bling out my brace. So far, I have Spider-Man stickers and a butterfly as ornaments.

My crutches and Light weight wheelchair are shiny cherry red.

Susan

Later Thoughts: your comment that "Dr. Hart should have been my doc to start with" has actually been a thought that I have ruminated about a few times. Would things be different on so many levels if he was my 1st surgery MD? I decided that such rumination is wasted time and who knows, I could be worse off if he was my original surgeon. I stand by my decisions.
      Last edited by susancook; 04-10-2015, 11:17 PM.
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

• Love that your grandkids are blinging your brace! Hope each day brings strength - you've got the positive attitude to go with it!
        Peg
        61 yrs old
        75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
        T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
        Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
          Rohrer, my grandchildren started to bling out my brace. So far, I have Spider-Man stickers and a butterfly as ornaments.

My crutches and Light weight wheelchair are shiny cherry red.

Susan

Later Thoughts: your comment that "Dr. Hart should have been my doc to start with" has actually been a thought that I have ruminated about a few times. Would things be different on so many levels if he was my 1st surgery MD? I decided that such rumination is wasted time and who knows, I could be worse off if he was my original surgeon. I stand by my decisions.
          Susan, I LIKE YOUR CONVICTION ABOUT "STANDING BY YOUR DECISIONS"!!!!!!! Good for you!!!!
          Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
          Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
          This started adult onset scoliosis
          July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
          Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision
          May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
          May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post

I agree. Playing that game is a waste of time. One could, after all, had a worse outcome instead of a better one. There's no way to ever know.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Hi, Susan -

I haven't been on the forum in a couple of months (haven't been back to my thread yet to check to know how long it has been). Just want you to know I'm sorry to hear about this setback, but I am confident that you will soon be well. With your attitude, all things are possible! I think you are right - using your energy to play "shoulda, coulda, woulda" is not productive...it is what it is.

Sending prayers and hugs to you!!!

Fifa

Comment

• Thank you everyone for your support. I am currently in a Skilled Nursing Facility where at 68, I significantly lower the average age. Scary....all the white hairs.
                I am slowly regaining what I lost for the past 5 months. I will hopefully transfer to a rehab unit at Providence tomorrow.

Susan

Comment

• Hi Susan!

You're making progress - how wonderful! You'll be inspiring people in rehab!
                  Peg
                  61 yrs old
                  75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                  T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                  Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Susan I have been thinking of you. I wish you well.
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                    Osteotomy

Comment

• Moved to Providence Hospital Acute Rehab. An intensive rehab program. I will be here until Cinco de Mayo.
                      Susan

Comment

• You can celebrate with a good margarita on Cinco de Mayo Day. Best of luck with your rehab. I know with your determination and positive attitude that you will make great gains.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Many margaritas!

Susan

Comment

• Getting closer to the move home. Wonderful!
                            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                            Right scapulectomy 6/15
                            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                            Broken neck 9/28/2018
                            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                            Osteotomy

Comment

• Hope all continues to go well
                              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Hi, Susan -

Just got here after another several week absence, but am checking your thread before I check my own. LOL I think about you every day and send prayers up for you! Hope you are doing well.

Two more days til margaritaville, right?? (smiley)

All my best to you!

Fifa

Comment

Working...
                                X