Susan's surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu on 19 and 22 March, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #3 Surgery scheduled for March 20, 2015

First, thanks everyone for your kind comments, prayers, and support. I am walking well with crutches, but time is limited due to thoracic pain. I use my wheelchair when I am tired.

Dr. Hart's office called today.
    My surgery with Drs. Hart and Hiratzka and a thoracic surgeon. Oregon Health and Sciences University [OHSU]
    Surgery: Ant Thoracic Viskectomy [that's what Dr. Hart's surgery scheduler said.....I asked her to spell it twice]....think he meant Diskectomy and fusion T2-3 to T12/L1, T2 to L1 new instrumentation, Segmental Instrumentation T2 to L1, Posterior Smith Peterson Osteotomies T2/3 to T 6/7, Posterior Spinal Fusion T2-L1.....maybe not in that order.
    10 hour surgery
    7 day hospital stay.

I enjoyed the visit with him, he answered lots of questions, and I have confidence that he will help to resolve my pain.

Here's hoping.....
    Susan
    Last edited by susancook; 02-28-2015, 02:32 AM.
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Susan,

I think I am saying what many people here are thinking... I feel so bad for you, wish I could help somehow, just don't know what to say. I remember how you mentioned when we first met, that you were so afraid to be one of these people who need multiple revisions, and here you are... I hope that the third surgery would be the last. Hang in here. Many people care about you.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Susan

Like Irena I also feel so bad for you and hope this surgery will fix you problems.
        You have helped me get through my waiting time, just reading how strong you are.
        I am sure there are times that you break down and I hope you family is there for you
        Knowing you have to have an other Long surgery can't be easy. But living with all that pain is not either.
        Susan I hope all goes well for you, i will be thinking of you.
        Marianne
        rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
        Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
        T11-L5
        Decompression with multiple discectomies
        Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
        Osteotomies and local bone grafting
        Revision Feb.22, 2018
        Replaced rods
        Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
        Used BPM to help with fusing
        Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

• Dr Hart will fix you

Dear Susan,

I was stunned to read your update, and feel so bad for you. I really do know how disappointing it is to suddenly be faced with broken rods and starting back to square one with recovery. You, however, had really had more than your fair share of complications, similar to babyboomer (Linda B.). I have every confidence that Dr Hart will do an outstanding job getting your back rebuilt. He did an amazing job on my broken rod revision.

How much family support will you have when hospitalized? I had excellent care at OHSU with my revision, but the days are so long and lonely in the hospital, and I really could have used family help in the hospital. Unfortunately for me my husband was also caring for our two school-aged children when I was hospitalized, and my parents wouldn't dream of visiting me or helping as they don't like hospitals. I think having someone overnight to help with repositioning, pain management, and comfort measures would be tremendously helpful.

Please let me know if I can help. I am 2 hours away, but I will certainly be thinking of you. You are so tough, I know you will make it past this and get back to the road to recovery. Take care my friend,

Gayle
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Susan, I so sorry this happened the way it did....they will get you fixed up this go around, and get you balanced properly.

You mention having thoracic pain, were you diagnosed with having any “thoracic” herniation’s? I wonder since I had lumbar and cervical herniation’s and know how brutal that pain is. I wonder what your pain must be like? It must be incredible....

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Susan,

Please know that you are in my prayers. I hope that things start turning around for you

Melissa
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Susan - sending prayers for this surgery to be the one that fixes your back. I'm sure there are times you don't feel like it, but you are a STRONG woman. It's evident that you care deeply about others. I pray you have the support you need. Please know you are cared for. Fondly, Peggy
                Peg
                61 yrs old
                75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Susan, I am so sorry this is happening to you. I had four revision surgeries (so far.). But every time I went into surgery there was renewed hope. I just felt so bad~~ I was ready for someone to make it right!!! Saying that doesn't mean I wasn't apprehensive, and you already know what to expect as far as recovery. My last surgery was for a broken rod (L1 area). They took everything out T4to sacrum, and put in new, better equipment! But just because they "fixed" a broken rod, didn't help me feel better waking up and all the things we have to go through. BUT IT STILL GIVES A FRESH NEW HOPE! And that's my prayer for you Susan, hope for a better outcome and they can even throw a "miracle"in while their at it.
                  I have read a lot about Dr. Hart. Wonderful surgeon from what I read. You sound like your in extreme pain. My advise is don't try to be super woman and white knuckle it! Get something to help with that pain!
                  I'm thinking of you and hope you can feel the good vibes coming your way. Sincerely, Linda
                  Last edited by babyboomer16; 03-02-2015, 03:56 PM.
                  Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                  Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                  This started adult onset scoliosis
                  July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                  Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                  Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                  May 30th 2013 revision
                  May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                  May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• X-ray....

STUDY: SPINE THORACIC 2 VIEWS 02/24/15 11:46:00

HISTORY: Scoliosis

COMPARISON: 12/30/14

FINDINGS:
                    Posterior spinal fixation rods, screws, and laminar wires are evident. The
                    hardware is imaged to the level of the mid lumbar spine; the distal hardware is
                    not imaged.
                    One of the rods is broken at the T12 level, not seen on the prior
                    study.
                    Lucencies around the T6, T7, T10, T11, and T12 pedicle screws are
                    unchanged.
                    Upper thoracic degenerative disk disease and exaggerated kyphosis
                    appear unchanged. Thoracolumbar degenerative disk disease appears unchanged.
                    No acute fracture or focal osseous destruction is identified.

IMPRESSION:

1. Broken paraspinal rod, new from 12/30/14.

2. Unchanged lucencies around multiple thoracic pedicle screws.

3. Unchanged thoracic degenerative disk disease and exaggerated kyphosis.

The good news is that the injections around the screws REALLY decreased my pain! I cannot believe how much better I feel! I had the same procedure done before my trip to Mexico and the pain relief lasted for 3 weeks and then the pain gradually returned.

So, I am depending on Dr. Hart to do his magic!

Linda. thanks for your kind note. I am doing well, at least in how I am feeling and my attitude as you can read above. I have a GREAT pain management doctor, Grace Chen who has rescued me many times! Of course, I occasionally get twinges and I know that if I do not have the surgery, the honeymoon will not last forever. I just walked around the block with my crutches, but am back in my wheelchair now. I had PT today as well as my pre-op appointment at OHSU. The Internal Medicine doc that I saw and I decided to do a stress test since I am 68 and want to make sure that I am fit for surgery. I am also concerned about preventing another PE.

Susan.....it is what it is......
                    Last edited by susancook; 03-02-2015, 07:45 PM.
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Dear Susan,
                      Another night with restless leg syndrome, so I decided to check out the Forum. I don't get on here much anymore. I am so sorry to read that you have continued to have problems with pain and other issues. I will definitely be praying for you for a great outcome from this third surgery. It really sucks that some people have to have two or more surgeries on their backs. You are such a special person with your compassion for all the other people on this Forum. God bless you and may He give you the strength you need to face this future surgery.
                      Sincerely, Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Susan I will be thinking of you this week and praying all goes well. I know you will be busy leading up to the big day. Please let us know how you are doing.Jackie
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

• Susan, #3 is approaching. You're in my prayers for a successful outcome and healing. I can safely say, ' we are all wishing the best for you'!
                          Peg
                          61 yrs old
                          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Chiming in too to add that you are in my thoughts and prayers as well.
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Thinking of you Susan

Hi Susan,

I have been thinking of you this week and wonder how your surgery went. I hope you are comfortable and starting baby steps on the road to recovery.

Please let us know how you are when you feel up to it. Your fan club awaits.
                              Gayle, age 50
                              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Yes Susan we are all waiting to hear. Let the healing begin!
                                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                                Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                                To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                                Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                                Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                                Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                                Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                                Osteotomy

Comment

Working...
                                X