X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
    What is wrong with your foot?

Melissa
    Malissa, I have broke two bones in my left foot(in the past) and I also developed a super bunion plus the rest of my toes are turned under(hammer toes). The bunion is so bad my big toe is turned completely around facing toward the other toes flipping over the top of them. Basically I have no big toe to walk on. I think a tendon broke loose also that had been wrapped around my big toe from taking a bone out of my left leg , for a bone graft, yrs. ago.They stretched the tendon from my leg down and attached it to my big toe. Go figure?? Sorry you asked? Just kidding. My foots a mess! And I can hardly walk on it. Darn! I have and am in a close race for the no. of surgeries we've had Melissa~~~
    Susan-- I stole your thread for a minute! Sorry! But I hope your day is a bit better!! I feel so bad you're going through this ! Thinking of you~~~rest and heal!
    And Melissa, sending you healing thoughts too!
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Linda...(off topic)...
      i had many foot/toe surgeries...
      sending you private message so as not to take away
      from susan's thread...
      jess

Comment

• Susan,
        I am so sorry for you latest surgical side effect. It seems so unfair that we must suffer so much additional pain. I hope that the groin pain can be resolved quickly.
        Stay strong Susan.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Susan,

I hope that things start looking better for you soon

You are in my Prayers

Melissa
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
            Malissa, I have broke two bones in my left foot(in the past) and I also developed a super bunion plus the rest of my toes are turned under(hammer toes). The bunion is so bad my big toe is turned completely around facing toward the other toes flipping over the top of them. Basically I have no big toe to walk on. I think a tendon broke loose also that had been wrapped around my big toe from taking a bone out of my left leg , for a bone graft, yrs. ago.They stretched the tendon from my leg down and attached it to my big toe. Go figure?? Sorry you asked? Just kidding. My foots a mess! And I can hardly walk on it. Darn! I have and am in a close race for the no. of surgeries we've had Melissa~~~
            Susan-- I stole your thread for a minute! Sorry! But I hope your day is a bit better!! I feel so bad you're going through this ! Thinking of you~~~rest and heal!
            And Melissa, sending you healing thoughts too!
            Thanks for the foot explanation and the healing thoughts. My right foot is in so much pain that sometimes I cannot put any weight on it at all. Next week, I will finally be seeing a physician who hopefully be able to figure out what is going on with my right foot . I know that I have drop foot but the pain is off the charts and I have a high pain tolerance but this is just horrible
            Melissa

Comment

• HELLO, my foot is fine!

Just got on line quickly to check messages on my thread and saw info on foot pain! My crotch on the R, a la femoral-genital nerve is the one being compressed! My foot is fine, although I do have the beginnings of bunions, but maybe consider talk off the topic of the thread somewhere else? Just saying.

Dr's appointment was somewhat reassuring re: femoral-genital nerve compression. Continue the Gabapentin and Lidoderm and see if femoral pain decreases progressively over time.

Thanks for the good wishes and support. Getting better is a village effort for me!

Yesterday was my 42nd anniversary!

Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Hope you will feel better soon Susan and a Happy belated Anniversary to you and your husband.
                Marianne
                rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
                Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
                T11-L5
                Decompression with multiple discectomies
                Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
                Osteotomies and local bone grafting
                Revision Feb.22, 2018
                Replaced rods
                Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
                Used BPM to help with fusing
                Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

• Thanks Marianne. I already feel better so I believe that the compression was caused by the fluid that accumulated after the drains were pulled. Now, I am paranoid that the hernia repair will not hold and I will have to have it redone. I am not carrying anything heavy, over 10 pounds. I really hold that this is the last problem that I have and that I can enjoy the freedom that my fusion has given me. I have my 13.5 month visit with my spinal surgeon on May 5th at Stanford. After that visit and a good report, I can feel relaxed!
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

• Congratulations to you and Mark!

Susan, I know it's hard not to be paranoid, I'd be the same way. Hope that hernia is gone for good and you never have to deal with it again. Cheers!
                    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Originally posted by Irina View Post
                      Congratulations to you and Mark!

Susan, I know it's hard not to be paranoid, I'd be the same way. Hope that hernia is gone for good and you never have to deal with it again. Cheers!
                      Thanks, Irina. You are my hero...or should it be heroine? I had surgery to remove lymph nodes in my neck about 10 years ago and I had irreversible nerve damage from that. The hernia surgery went extremely well until I had the nerve compression. The surgeon said that he was very impressed on my recovery until the nerve compression. Maybe he meant "for an old woman" ;+> Basically, I had very little pain after surgery and got up out of bed and walked right after surgery. Well, I am pleased that the femoral-genital nerve pain has decreased over the past few days, so the nerve pain was presumably due to fluid accumulation. I am waiting for complete resolution of the pain.

I am looking forward to getting together with you and Dave when Mark and I are in the Bay Area for my slightly late 1 year visit. Have you chosen at great restaurant? I will call you.

Susan, sans menopausal baby and now with a nice tummy tuck (the doctor said that I had "extra skin"... He was so kind!)

Comment

• Healing~~~

Susan,
                        It sounds like the healing is going slow but sure. My Dr. Always adds on the end of his sentences"considering"~~ like your blood work looks good"considering". I don't know why he doesn't finish the sentence. "Considering your age!" I saw you are having you 13.5 mo. spine surgery check-up. I have my one yr. revision surgery check-up in May. I'm also on the two yr. recovery ban wagon! You have such a great constitution, I really need to take lessons!
                        Keep healing and "Belated Happy Anniversary" Warmly, Linda
                        Last edited by babyboomer16; 04-10-2014, 09:20 PM.
                        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                        This started adult onset scoliosis
                        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                        May 30th 2013 revision
                        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                          Susan,
                          It sounds like the healing is going slow but sure. My Dr. Always adds on the end of his sentences"considering"~~ like your blood work looks good"considering". I don't know why he doesn't finish the sentence. "Considering your age!" I saw you are having you 13.5 mo. spine surgery check-up. I have my one yr. revision in May. I'm also on the two yr. recovery ban wagon! You have such a great constitution, I really need to take lessons!
                          Keep healing and "Belated Happy Anniversary" Warmly, Linda
                          Linda, you are so sweet! Thanks for the comment that my constitution is great. Sometimes, I don't think so. Married for 42 years is amazing, Mark has been so supportive and protective. He takes off my socks at night and frequently puts them on in the morning. He carries my purse most of the time. Fortunately, he is not sensitive about his manhood. Healing from a major surgery is frequently a family affair.

Wishing you continued healing, Linda. You are another of my heroes as you have been so strong through so much. I don't know what I would do if I needed repeated back surgery like you have . Your strength is amazing and inspiring.

Love to you, Susan

Comment

• Glad that things are going well

Melissa
                            Melissa

Comment

• Just say no to massage!

Big mistake....treated myself to a fairly gentle massage....never again! Ache, ache, ache.
                              Susan

Comment

• Hi Susan, I chuckled when I saw about your gentle massage. I am in total agreement with you. I have had only one massage in my life and felt like crap the next day. I am told it is because of release of toxins. I am not sure I buy into that explanation. I will just keep my toxins thank you very much. So glad your pain is improving.
                                Sally
                                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                                X