No announcement yet.

Irina’s Surgery – March 5/7, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 3.25 inches taller - a whopping 5.95 and when my friends and family see me for the first time since
    surgery, they all say: "OMG", "It's a miracle" etc ant it's a music to my ears.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

That's wonderful. The new physical appearance is such an ego booster, which may sound vain, but I loved it and you will, too.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Wow! 3.25 inches. Just goes to show how scrunched up we get. No wonder it hurts!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Irina,

In the early weeks I took everything they let me take right before bed: Valium, oxi, Norco. Then I kept a full water bottle and night pain pulls next to the bed, along with my iPhone. I set the alarm schedule on my iPhone to go off with the pain pill reminders. Example , 2 a.m. Alarm: "1 pill Norco" would show up on screen. I would take it, drink the water and go back to sleep without getting up. I kept only those pills I would be taking in a small cup by my bed, to make it less confusing. It's a little difficult to keep everything straight when you're half asleep and on pain meds, but it worked for me with the iPhone. My hubby never had to get up. (He did have to hear the alarm, though. But I kept the volumn reasonable.) It won't be long before you can go 6-8 hours without pills and sleep through the night. Congrats on the new-found height!

Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Ed,

I'm so sorry to read of your loss. I know you are a very strong person, so for you to say this is the biggest challenge, I know it must be. Hang in there and remember that she is still living--in you!

Best,
            Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Ed, I am very sorry about the loss of your mother too.

Comment

Irina...hope you feel better every day

Ed...deepest condolences...only thing i know that helps is time...
                after the years pass, it hurts a little less...
                i hope your mother did not suffer...
                i am so sorry for your loss.

jess

Comment

Irina,
                  You will get better and better. Isn't the change in height something. I only gained an inch but I felt different. I felt taller!Keep doing great!
                  Ed, so sorry about your mother. I could not message you.
                  Take care all,
                  Jackie
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                  To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                  Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                  Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                  Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                  Osteotomy

Comment

Irina, you are getting through the hardest days now. Soon you'll start to notice small but very good changes. As for those difficult nights, I found they were more manageable when I didn't think of "night = sleep", but rather "In bed = holding still and healing". So sometimes I would have the light on and for the first time in my life, I would fall asleep with the light on. Waking, sleeping, I allowed sleep time to be any time I needed it, whether it was day or night. And wake time was anytime too, whether day or night. It was just a little psychological thing but I found it helped me. It helped me feel less frustrated when nights didn't turn out the way I hoped.

Hang in there. We're thinking of you!
                    1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
                    2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
                    2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
                    2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
                    2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
                    At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
                    Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
                    Post op x-ray

Comment

Complications

I am at a local hospital with a few complications - huge hematoma and blood / urine infection. I developed severe abdominal pain the day of discharge from UCSF. They did x-rays that only showed gas. They told me it's a bad constipation and sent me home next day. At home, my abdominal pain was getting worse to the point that I simply screamed.

We called 911and were taken to the nearest ER. The docs there did x-rays and ct-scans of my belly and found an enormous hematoma. On Tuesday I had another surgery, where they removed FOUR liters of blood from my belly. If that's not enough, I developed an infection in my blood and urine. Infectious disease doctor told me they will put me on antibiotics thru IV for several weeks and then I'd have to take antibiotics orally for months and possibly years. I am worried about hardware infection, but doctors here tell me that there is no real way of knowing if hardware was infected.

Any experience with infections? No need to say that I'm worried.

Comment

Oh no...I'm so sorry to hear that Irina. Sorry, I don't know much about infections but I just wanted to wish you well for total recovery, smoothly and quickly.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

How frightening for you. I'll be praying that the problem will be solved with the strong course of antibiotics. Hugs, Susie
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Irina,

Praying for you and that the infection goes away quickly.
                            Tamena
                            Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Irina and Ed

Irina,
                              so sorry to hear about your complications. I am hoping and praying that you feel better soon.

Ed,
                              sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. My mother is presently on her death bed. Just a little more than three years since my dad pasted away. Even though we all know that time does help with the pain, it doesn't always help in the present.

My best to both of you.

Libby

Comment

Irina,

I am so sorry to hear about your problems
                                Praying
                                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                                X