Irina’s Surgery – March 5/7, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irina

I just wanted to say congratulations on being on the other side....

It is hard getting comfortable.....but it will get better soon.

Hang in there

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Glad that you are on the other side and that you are doing so well
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

When did you take your first steps (post-op)?

(Posted by Irina's husband, Dave)

At 2 days out from the last surgery, I've only been able to sit up a little bit. The nurse had me standing for a few minutes but I was very dizzy. The physical therapist didn't want to try standing because my O2 level was too low.

To all the other post-op people out there:
        When did you take your first steps? Did you have a lot of dizziness?

Thanks,
        Irina
        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Irina,

Congrats on having the surgery over with! Regarding standing/walking. I was sat up on the side of the bed, with the intention of walking on day 2 but I was very dizzy and they lay me back down again. They then topped me up with another bag of blood and next day I stood and walked easily. The blood made a huge difference. Don't be disappointed - each day makes a big difference. Relax and go with the flow, it'll all work out well in the end. You sound like you're doing just fine.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Irina, I sat up on the second day but was too dizzy to stand. The third day they helped me stand up and move to sit in a chair for a short time. I was still dizzy though and my blood pressure dropped so that was all for the third day. The fourth day I started to be more alert in bed and move around. I'm keeping you in prayer. You're doing great.
            1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
            2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
            2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
            2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
            2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
            At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
            Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
            Post op x-ray

Comment

Irina I'm only a little ahead of you with my surgery, Feb 18. I can't remember much of the the first few days after surgery. My sister told me they tried to get me up the 2 day. Now Im walking 3-4 times a day on my "track" I made at home. Most of the time I walk eat and sleep.
              44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

Dave and Irina

I don’t remember....Everyone told me that I had been standing, but in the fog of it all, I just don’t remember. The hospital reports said that it was done the next day. They must have been holding me, I was beyond wasted. The morphine, dialuid, and lortab is powerful stuff and you need it to keep the pain in check.

After major surgery, the body is running in overtime....white blood cell counts are high and the blood needs to adjust. I agree with Jen. The blood transfusions really are a huge help....it took a few days for me to finally feel good enough to want to get out of my hospital bed. It was around the 4th or 5th day that my mind came back and realized what was going on.

On heavy meds, the dizzy’s will come and go.....it will get better each day.

You guys hang in there....her body is going through major adjustments right now. Healing quickly, every single second.

That goes for you too Maggie...congratulations!

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

The day after surgery they wanted to get me up to walk. But when I sat up in bed I thought I was going to faint. So they waited until the next day, and then I walked. You'll get there soon!!

Evelyn
                  age 48
                  80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                  Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                  Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                  Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                  Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi Irina...

Patients usually stand the day after surgery, but you shouldn't judge your own health by that fact. After my 2011 surgeries, I was up the next day, but couldn't stay awake enough to stand on my own, so spent the next 2 days in bed. I think I was up on P/O day 4, and was just fine. They'll figure out what is making you dizzy, and you'll be up before you know it. Hang in there.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Irina,
                      Glad to hear you're on the healing side. I think I stood up on the second day. I think I must have been too drugged to stand up on the first day. I don't remember too much on that first day except having hallucinations. Glad your hubby is taking such good care of you.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

My Improvements

I am getting off the bed now to sit on a chair or to use a commode toilet. All the tubes are out except for the oxygen. Docs are still working on figuring out meds and to get my bowels moving. The cosmetic improvement is dramatic - I have not seen my back, but my mom says that I should kiss my surgeon,s hands because my back has never ever looked so beautiful.
                        Edited to say that this post is written by Irina.
                        Last edited by Irina; 03-11-2013, 09:57 AM.
                        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Irina,

I am impressed that you are able to post while still in the hospital. You sound like you are doing great. Will keep the prayers coming that each day gets easier. It took me a while before the insides got to working as well, but it will eventually come to pass. Keep up the good work!

Tamena
                          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I like your mother's expression! Oh yes!!!

You sound good Irina. Posting so early amazes me. I didn't even think about the internet for a couple of weeks. It's great to follow your progress and know you're doing great!
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

i took my first steps 3 days post-op and yes i felted really dizzy
                              Kara
                              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                              T4-L2
                              Before 50T
                              After 20T

Comment

Irina--
                                You sound wonderful and your back must look wonderful too! Congratulations for being on this side as you go through the slow steps of recovery. I remember standing very briefly the next day--or maybe they just told me I did! But I certainly remember dizziness for some time & I guess I had to have extra pints of blood during the first week so it's not unusual. Hope you have steady improvement over the next days and weeks. Janet
                                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                                X