X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message from Dave [Irina's husband] re: first day of surgery

Dave just sent a note: Sounds like everything is going well:

This is being written by Irina's husband, Dave:
    Today, Irina had the first of her 2 surgeries to correct her scoliosis.
    It went well. They started at 9am and were done just before 4pm, which is about the time we expected.
    She spent a lot of time in the recovery room because the hospital is very full and it took time to find an open room
    for her.
    She has taken some solid food already today, but is feeling a little nauseous.
    She's learning how to rest and get comfortable with all the tubes sticking into her.
    The second surgery will be on Thursday and I'll send out another message that night.
    - Dave Adaskin
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

So glad to hear surgery #1 went well. Thanks for posting for Irina/Dave.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Glad that the first surgery went well.
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Glad to hear Irina's doing well. Hang in there, Irina!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for posting for Irina. These are long days for you. We'll be looking forward to your next post after her surgery on Thursday.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Irina's second day of surgery

I received an email from Dave:
              Irina's second day of surgery went well and Dr. Hu said that she thought that she would be happy with the results. She lost a lot of blood during the procedure. She is having difficulty finding a comfortable position.
              I will visit her on Monday at UCSF and say hello from everyone.
              I will read her all of the messages from everyone if Dave has not been into the forum.
              Susan
              Last edited by susancook; 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM.
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Happy for her, all she needs is time, now. Thanks for letting us know Susan.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

So happy for you

Iranian, so happy to hear both surgeries went well. I,too, lost a lot of blood during my last procedure. Relax and listen to your body when it says stop and rest. I am know two months postoperative and feel good. I definitely lost a great deal of muscle tone and consequently have some muscle pain to deal with at night. If it weren't for the evening pain, I. Would not be on any mess at all.

Life can be a beautiful thing. Before you know it, you will want to be in the stores shopping for new clothes.

Libby

Comment

So glad you made it through well. Now for rest and healing. Praying both will come easy for you.

Tamena
                    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Irina's Husband, Dave, posting for Irina

Thank you for all the support.

They are giving me Benadryl because I was itching a lot. Now I'm very sleepy. '

During the second surgery I lost a lot of blood because my platelet count was low. They gave me several units of packed cells and a few of just platelets.

My husband is the best husband in the world. [She really told me to type this!].
                      He's feeding me from a spoon like a baby.

I'll post more later.

Irina
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

thanks, Irina's husband Dave, for the update...
                        thoughts and prayers to your wife for an uneventful recovery...
                        hope you can get some rest while she is resting...
                        you will need to take care of yourself, so you can take care of Irina...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

I am glad to hear that both surgeries went well. Thanks for posting.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Irina! I have prayed for you during your surgeries and am so glad that you are now on the other side. It's all healing for now. You are on your way to the new you! I know that everyday there will be a very small improvement....probably too small to tell by the day, but more by the week. Someone suggested writing down what you do everyday, like how far you walk, etc. then, you can look back and see that you are making a little bit of progress. If you were taking Benedryl, you were probably allergic to something. I had to take Benedryl after I took codeine. The itching was awful!

You have been a role model of courage for me! You will gradually get your strength back and keep thinking about that slinky black dress!

See you on Monday!

Love you,
                            Your twisted sister, Susan

Comment

Irina,

You did it!!! You're on the other side!!!!! Congratulations. :-) Now the recovery can begin. Be kind to yourself and don't forget to eat (and take Miralax)! You will be feeling better soon.

Best wishes,
                              Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                                Thank you for all the support.

They are giving me Benadryl because I was itching a lot. Now I'm very sleepy. '

During the second surgery I lost a lot of blood because my platelet count was low. They gave me several units of packed cells and a few of just platelets.

My husband is the best husband in the world. [She really told me to type this!].
                                He's feeding me from a spoon like a baby.

I'll post more later.

Irina
                                Wayne, you are hired! Take care of Irina and be her nurse. I look forward to meeting you. After I am restaurant ready, my husband and I can go out with you and Irina. That will probably be when I come back to SF for my 3 month checkup. Our table will be the one with the 2 women sitting up very straight! Susan

Comment

Working...
                                X