abdomen bigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abdomen bigger

Has anyone had a bigger abdomen than when they had surgery. It seems mine is bigger and hard.

I think I can relate. My waist is wider than it was pre-op and my lower back is harder. My family doctor often tells me how I have such strong abdominal muscles. She thinks it's from the surgery - I've had to adjust my movements to compensate for the fusion and this has caused more abdominal muscle? Maybe you have something similar.

Shell
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Bigger abdomen

I'm curious as to when you had your surgery? I'm almost 10 months post-op and am still struggling with the wider and larger abdomen. I can't fit in some of my suit skirts and the newest slacks I bought months prior to surgery, don't fit the same. Fortunately I have had enough clothing that does fit but I keep saying each weekend that I need to go out and buy a few new pieces. Overall I am happy with my new appearance but the larger and wider abdomen has been a little hard to understand. Before surgery I was crooked but apparently had more of a waist line no matter how small that was compared to what I have now. It's really odd don't you think? I'll have to make a note to ask the surgeon why this is next time I see him. If anyone gets an answer as to why this is, please let us know.
      Marjorie

Surgery in 2 phases, May 17 & May 22, 2012
      Prior to surgery: Thoracic 75, Lumbar 45
      After surgery: Thoracic 27, Lumbar 28
      Surgeon: Dr. Nathan Lebwohl, Miami, FL

Comment

I had surgery October 25th. I find to that my clothes dont fit right. I have not heard from anyone one the forum about this.

Comment

i have seen this repeatedly on forum...
          if you type into search something like "big stomach post op"
          you will find many threads on this same subject....

i am wondering whether those who had anterior and posterior
          approaches have it happen more vs those who had posterior only...
          but that is just my own wondering...

jess

Comment

I too had an enlarged abdomen and even with a lot of toning previous to surgery, knew there was something more going on. Several times during the last 5 months of post-op, I have gone off all pain meds, including Tylenol. Within two or three days, my abdomen completely softened and shrunk down to the right size. Stopping the pain medication meant no more constipation and also less water retention. So I figured the swelling was due to pain meds. That may have been just me but it was a consistent response.
            1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
            2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
            2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
            2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
            2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
            At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
            Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
            Post op x-ray

Comment

postop 5 weeks

My lower abdomen feels tight/ hard when I am standing but when lying down abdomen feels soft. Slight bloating. I havent tried on jeans yet because my skin feels so sensitive.
              44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

I am 8 days postop and look 5 months pregnant.
                Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi susan. Have you ask your surgeon about your stomach? I couldn't tilt my head down to see my stomach but could feel the tightness and bloated feeling. I kept thinking it was constipation but it ended up being my bladder. It wasn't emptying enough.
                  44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

Working...
                  X